Lens that is 2 years old or more...

Marcus7

Oct 10, 2011
Chinatown
Hi everybody,I have a questions in mind that has bothered me for a while now.My concern is under CS B&S section,if let's say a certain lens is like 2 years old or so,would you guys still consider getting it even if its a mint or condition 9 or 10?Actually I am quite hesitant to get one if its 2 years old or more.
As in my limited knowledge,I am quite aware a lens can last for a long long time but I just want to gather more advice & views on this issue.Therefore I will appreciate very much if all brudders out there can drop me some thinker for my own perusal.Thank You So Much!

I think the number of years isn't and issue and I believe that there are people here with lenses which are above 10 years or so. To me, the number of years dosen't matter as long as previous user uses it in a proper manner. However, do look out for focusing motor and aperture blade if you are planning to buy a second hand lens. They are the common failure inside the lens. Optic shouldn't matter as long as there is no scratches.

Hope it helps. :)

Frankly speaking.. I wont care how many years or mth or even days the lens is. As long its working fine..and look new (if its suppose to) then its ok. Right?
Eventually all the lenses/camera you own will be 2 years old or more anyway. Right?
If its bothering you so much. Then you can buy new from the shop..(But that lens could be out from factory or was in the shop for more than 2 years also).

:bsmilie: good point there...

As long as the lens model does not have a history of problems i dun see anything wrong with a two yr old lens. All my lenses are more than 2 and each works fine.

(But that lens could be out from factory or was in the shop for more than 2 years also).

That is most true! We won't really know how long exactly the lenses we buy from the shops have been sitting there. All you get is the peace of mind that last 12 months or more in the event of a manufacturer defect. But that won't save you if you bang the lens or *heaven forbid* drop it. :eek:

If you ever move into the manual lenses or developed a taste for the older make, say the legacy lenses, then you would be looking at lenses that are a wee bit older. At the end of the day, if the glass is clean, the aperture blades not oily, and the focus ring turns smoothly, a lens that work is a lens that works regardless of age.

Old lenses are built to outlast human lifespan... Of cos, they don't have auto focus motor to worry abt....
Anyway, lens are made of glass mainly, which can withstand the test of time (not weather of course), the electronic parts such as auto focus motor and image stabilization is what that needs to worry abt. When buying a lens (new or old) focus on testing on the electronics aspects first if it has any, then the glass itself for fungus.

To summarise:
- Electronics - camera is able to detect lens and fire off the shutter without problems.
- Autofocus motor/ring - as long as it works the full range it should be OK. If there is front/back-focusing issues can always calibrate it at your camera's service centre.
- Aperture blades - check that it stops down the full range by looking through the front of the lens in Bulb mode. (I've got an old manual lens with stuck aperture blades...so it happens.)
- Clear glass - fungus-free, scratch-free coating. Don't nit-pick on dust though. It cannot be fully avoided.
- IS/VR mechanism - at least for Canon IS lenses, you can sort of hear the gyro working when IS is enabled by half-press focusing, and of course verifying it through the viewfinder.

Ah Pao said:
- Aperture blades - check that it stops down the full range by looking through the front of the lens in Bulb mode. (I've got an old manual lens with stuck aperture blades...so it happens.)

Can we check lenses aperture blades for lenses with aperture ring by turning them down and see thr without using camera body at all?

Some of my lenses are old. In the past they may not skimp on materials.
Nowadays a lot of smart-alecky cost cutting. Must be the QC circles in the manufacturing companies.

• Lens elements become plastic.
• Not made in Germany or even Japan.
• Plastic covering to lens barrels.
• Lens mounts become plastic.

Old lenses can last a long time because they came from an era of conscience. Parts are metal the mechanics are simple, all manual focus. The only issue is lubricants are organic instead of synthetic and might had dried or deteriorated, nothing a CLA cannot fix, another issue is coatings might had deteriorated.

Modern lenses is another story, motors deteriorates with usage, VR systems too.

You can check the smoothness and snappyness of aperture blades but pushing the little metal tab between the lens mount and the rear element.

Nothing last forever, doesn't mean less than 2 years won't have problem. Previous owner might had dropped it, misused it, etc. Doesn't mean more than 2 years will have problem either, some people just buy for the hobby and gave up when they lost interests or other priorities in life takes over, ie having a baby, change of jobs, etc.

And seriously, BNS is not a good place to buy things nowadays. Many people are selling old lenses at higher prices than brand new! Happens all the time. The Nikon 50mm f/1.8G is a frequent item sold on the BNS for $280-$300. Brand new from shop is $285 and readily and commonly available.

I have autofocus lenses that are now 27 years old and they work great...

I think you're too paranoid.

I have manual focus lens that was made in 1973 ( base on serial number ) and auto focus lens made in 1989.
Both are still working perfectly.

It is the condition of the lens that matter.
Not the age of the lens.

However, for digital camera bodies are different. Like all electronic items, it will degrade over time.
The capacitors in the electronic goods have life span of max 5 years and some are 3 years.

I have some minolta lens that could be as old as me (first introduced in 1985) and still no problems with the lens. If it's just 2 years then don't need to worry so much la. Do research more to see if there are any inherent problems to the batch though..

Got a short guide for you if you're planning on buying a 2nd hand lens.

How to Buy a Secondhand Lens « SecondHandTog

Good idea to test all the electronic bits first. Those are the things that wind up dying first. That aside, I've had a 70-200 canon lens which was about 7 years old and was still working fine. From AF to IS it still worked like a dream.