LENS TEST: Nikkor's sharpest VS Tokina's legendary ATX Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcwang

Jan 9, 2003
East Singapore
www.pbase.com
For those who are interested, I've done some test on the NIKKOR 50mm f1.8 AF and comparing it to the TOKINA 28-70 ATX Pro I f2.8, which I still feel is an incredible lens.

I have both, and I love them both. Its amazing how sharp the Nikkor is wide open, and how the Tokina catches up by f8.

I have no time to test other focal lengths, but I suppose 50mm is the Tokina's sharpest range ... not sure really. I tested only in 50mm.

There may be errors in this test, although I tried as much as I could to minimise. SO dont flame me alright.

For those who are interested, hope you'll appreciate my efforts, and clear any of your doubts you previously have between these lenses.

For those who think I have nothing better to do.. just close the page.

For me, its always good to know the qualities/limits of your lens once and for all. SImilarly for all equipment I own.

Cheers !

original.jpg

that may look like a weak point, but i'm still comfortable with the tokina @ f2.8...other than that, both lenses r gd
cheers =)

Actually, one flaw is the fact that the D100 is only a DX sensor. Which means you can't really test the corners where image quality generally falls down. So the gap between lenses will tend to be very narrow when viewing only the middle 1.5x of their coverage circles, as most lenses are good in the middle.

Certainly as I've said for ages, *most* (not all) lenses should be more than capable of serving standard use without any problems whatsoever.

erm.. pardon my ignorance.. wat anti-shake devices are there to activate?

Yep, sort of. The Nikon DSLRs (aside from the D2h) have a mirror pre-release feature (not quite MLU) which fires the shutter some time after the mirror goes, and in theory after the mirror has flipped away and vibrations have died down.

Jed said:
Actually, one flaw is the fact that the D100 is only a DX sensor. Which means you can't really test the corners where image quality generally falls down. So the gap between lenses will tend to be very narrow when viewing only the middle 1.5x of their coverage circles, as most lenses are good in the middle.

Certainly as I've said for ages, *most* (not all) lenses should be more than capable of serving standard use without any problems whatsoever.

Yeah, well said that most lenses are capable of quality results. I wonder if anyone interested in helping me do a test on the Nikon 28-80G F3.3-5.6 against the Nikon 28-70 F2.8. Something like David against Goliath. Difference in cost is more than 10 times. Yet, PPI has writen an article in their Oct 03 issue that distortion is almost identical, and both have excellent SQF data....

So, anyone out there with the F2.8 lens to do the test, using film.

Purpose - to show those newbies that their kit lens is just as good, especially if they use small apertures.

the 20mm Nikkor though, may not be as sharp as the legendary 20-35 f2.8 and the 17-35mm f2.8. But of course, the cost is different. Every one who uses a wide angle zoom uses the widest setting anyway.

You confirmed my non-scientific observations that my previous workhorse lens on my F100 -- the Tokina AF 28-70mm f/2.8 ATX-Pro II is acceptably sharp by f/4. :)

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.