Lens Test: Minolta AF 500mm F/8 Reflex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drudkh

Mar 2, 2004
lulu island
Got this lens 2nd hand and its in pretty good condition internally. Many people dislikes the donut bokeh effects in the out of focus areas in a shot but I find it pretty good if the background is far away. This is the most lightweight and smallest lens (665g) among the 500mm lenses making it hand holdable, no mono/tri-pod required. It has a minimum focusing distance of 4m and comes with a clear integral filter, as well as an ND4 integral filter.

The only cons about this lens are its fixed aperture at f/8, donut bokeh and some may find it slow in auto-focusing. Hey! it auto-focuses! I would say the focusing speed is comparable to the Minolta AF 100-400mm f/4.5-6.7 APO. Well, lets see some sample shots (EXIF available).

Click to see full image

Click to see full image

Click to see full image

Click to see full image

As you can see from the last shot, the donut bokeh is very obvious, much obvious than the rest.

flame? need to find where's my lighter.
no model shoot, but here's a shot of passer-by. ;p

Click to see full image

you bought the cookie tin lens? man you are in desperate need for range is it :bsmilie:?

desperate? :rolleyes: if i am, i would have Hart mailed the lens rather than wait for him to bring back.
pls stop the OT posts.

Drudkh said:
desperate? :rolleyes: if i am, i would have Hart mailed the lens rather than wait for him to bring back.
pls stop the OT posts.

wha ..new toy...
:devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.