Lens test guide - rating optical quality of AF SLR lenses


Status
Not open for further replies.
#2
I use to visit this site but not anymore ...

Actually, I found out that it isn't an accurate indication because the scores are based too loosely on somehow too many inconsistent results from different sources, many of which to my understanding, are not reliable ones.

There are many lenses that are well-proven and those that are even legends in their own rights but somehow, someway, they are "lowly" rated in these charts.

Here's the quote they placed prior to the charts :

The Lens Test Guide provides averaged lens ratings based on formal lens test results from various EXTERNAL SOURCES. Please be aware that naked test verdicts as presented below cannot describe all the different characteristics of a lens. You've to refer to test magazines directly for details. So please take these values as a tendency ONLY!
Well, taking values as "tendency" is not anywhere near my idea of a good gauge, there are many sites out there that provide good and consistent insights on many lenses, these are IMO better gauges for these babies. :)

Just my 2 cents and thanks for sharing ;)
 

Zerstorer

Senior Member
Jul 8, 2002
3,437
0
0
#3
Its just a rough guide, but not to be taken seriously. This is because the user experiences vary. Try filling up one of the surveys and you will see how subjective the opinions can be. I do use this site for a quick look before I search for more substantial opinions elsewhere.
 

TME

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
6,580
0
0
42
Clementi
#4
Zerstorer said:
Its just a rough guide, but not to be taken seriously. This is because the user experiences vary. Try filling up one of the surveys and you will see how subjective the opinions can be. I do use this site for a quick look before I search for more substantial opinions elsewhere.
Where do u look then? Other than mags that is......
 

Zerstorer

Senior Member
Jul 8, 2002
3,437
0
0
#5
TME said:
Where do u look then? Other than mags that is......
Forums and reviews that restrict discussion to the mount of lens you are interested in. Basically you only need to know how a minolta mount compares to another minolta mount or EF vs EF or F vs F. Polled results have little meaning compared across brands as the results are not accurate when interpreted as such.

The polls on photozone.de cannot be used as a gauge across the board. They are only slightly relevant when you view them in the specific classes.i.e Nikon F mount, Standard Zoom, Constant aperture. Even then, some of the results are suspect.(e.g the New Tokina 28-70 ATX PRO SV is rated higher than the Nikon AFS 28-70.)

A number of new users have rated it as excellent wide open(!).
 

TME

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
6,580
0
0
42
Clementi
#6
Zerstorer said:
Forums and reviews that restrict discussion to the mount of lens you are interested in. Basically you only need to know how a minolta mount compares to another minolta mount or EF vs EF or F vs F. Polled results have little meaning compared across brands as the results are not accurate when interpreted as such.

The polls on photozone.de cannot be used as a gauge across the board. They are only slightly relevant when you view them in the specific classes.i.e Nikon F mount, Standard Zoom, Constant aperture. Even then, some of the results are suspect.(e.g the New Tokina 28-70 ATX PRO SV is rated higher than the Nikon AFS 28-70.)

A number of new users have rated it as excellent wide open(!).
I see......
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom