Lens Test Checklist...

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian

Aug 1, 2004
Seoul, South Korea
nangka.org
Hi.

I'm about to start a project on a roll of film (still on film!) to test out a certain lens I have with some coating imperfections just to see its effect (if any) on photo. I suppose this can also extend to DSLRs. Need some ideas to build up a "test plan" that can fit into a 36 shot roll.

Ok, the idea here is:
1. To test if the scratches on front and rear element of lens will affect photo in as many picture types as possible
2. While I'm at it, might as well test out perceived sharpness as a function of aperture stops.
3. To do a "real-world-picture-taking" test and not a MTF/chart shots to do a scientific study.

So the initial plan I have is to test in these 4 scene types:
1. Closeup shots to test sharpness of lens for close focussing
2. Outdoor shot focused at infinity with sun in the picture, to test for flaring performance
3. Outdoor shot focused at infinity with large area of blue sky so that there's a uniformly blue colour
4. Outdoor shot with scene with a lot of details to test sharpness. Probably focused at infinity as well.

Was thinking if I do f16, f11, f8, f5.6, f4, f2.8, f2, f1.4, I should have a nice sample of 32 pictures that represents all tests I would want. Got 4 more pictures spare some more.

Anyone with ideas on whether there are anything redundant or additional to preform?

Do you have anything to benchmark the results?
not sure if without comparison, how to tell if it's the lens or the imperfections flaw?

I suppose that if I like the result of all the types of scene, and I dont see obvious flaring, loss of sharpness across the picture, etc then its a lens that I like and that the scratches doesn' affect the photo quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.