Lens stablisation need for macro photography

kababoom

Nov 23, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi bros any comment if IS is needed for Macro photography? i am considering a f2.5 macro lens but it does not have any IS and the camera it is to be mounted on does not have any IBIS either. Am wondering if IS plays an important role for macro photography if i have a bright lens such as this.

Thanks for any info

Actually in macro photography, you shoot at f16 or f22...

Hi bros any comment if IS is needed for Macro photography? i am considering a f2.5 macro lens but it does not have any IS and the camera it is to be mounted on does not have any IBIS either. Am wondering if IS plays an important role for macro photography if i have a bright lens such as this.

Thanks for any info

Basically... I shoot with a Canon 100mm f2.8 (non-IS) macro lens and I find it pretty alright. No IS needed. The next best thing in my arsenal is my flash and finally mine monopod.

There is hardly any use for IS (VR for Nikon) when doing Macro photography on a tripod. And we would be using high f stop to get as much depth of field. Google a lot of sites and you will find that many people use manual focusing to get better control n what they want to focus on when in macro mode. And a tripod is almost a MUST have item for macro shooting given you are focusing on something really small.. to hand hold is not practical to keep the shots in frame when you are shooting many frames.

The thing is some of the lens that come with IS (VR2) is really trying to give the lens a second selling point as a len for normal shooting. For example the Nikkor 105mm Macro has VR and it is also a great portrait lens and the VR2 will come in handy for those kind of shooting. I myself when shooting macro I am always on manual mode focusing, VR switched off and on a tripod.

A good flash and diffuser is more important. Like others have mentioned, macro shots are done at smaller apertures, and a flash allows u to shoot handheld at low noise, at 1/160 sec or whatever ur flash sync speed, and u dun need IS at that shutter speed.

Then the next thing is to practise how to get the subject in focus...

You lots of great answers here. Good luck !

Okay to answer this question it depends on how you want to shoot?

If you are shooting with a tripod & a slow pace, there is no need to for the micro / macro lens to have image stabilizer / vibration reduction / optical stabilizer. Typically with this setup you may shoot with small apertures & long exposure time & with macro ring flash & diffuser

If you shoot macro handheld & on the go, then you will definitely find it definitely very useful. The problem with shooting macro hand held is the ability to hold focus while crouched in an awkward position.

On a personal note I shoot both methods, but most of the time I just shoot hand held with a macro ring flash.

By the way most current macro lens comes with IS / VR / OS / VC, just switch it off if you are using it on the tripod.

Last edited: