Lens spoilt, need advice :D

beebeeice

Aug 14, 2010
Serangoon
Hello everyone!

So, 2 days ago, I took out my trusty 550D with it's 18-135mm lens for a trip. SOMEHOW, I could not zoom in. There was something that was preventing the zoom ring from moving. I twisted it a few times and it managed to budge after I shook it. I could hear something inside the lens when I shook it, like something came out internally. The thing inside was also affecting the focus. It is preventing the lens from focusing and also jamming the zoom on certain occasions.

Right now, I have to decide on whether to:
1. Repair it.
2. Buy a new lens.
3. Buy a new DSLR.

I am considering the option of a new lens, but at the same time, I want to try my hands on a Nikon. The 550D sounds so "toyish" when the shutter snaps. I don't mind sticking with my 550D since it has served my purpose rather well, and I appreciate it for doing so.

What do all of you of think I should do now? PS. I'm in Shanghai. If it is much better to get a camera/lens here, do advice me on what I should do.
I have a budget of $1500 for a new camera, IF it is much more worth to get a new one that is...

Thanks for your input and advice!
Cheers! :D

I doubt you would be able to tell a difference in image quality, and changing a camera just because of the shutter sound... erhm...

Personally, I'd bring the lens to the Canon service center and request for a repair quote first. If the cost is too high, then you can consider buying a new lens or selling the 550D body and jumping ship.

See if your lens is worth repairing. You can always switch to Nikon anytime since your canon gear is just a body n one lens.

if you want something that doesn't feel "toyish"

get a 5D3, 1Dx or 1Dc or the Nikon equivalent.

or a Leica.

anyway even if it feels toyish it still takes photos which is what it is for in the first place.

Of course I don't want to upgrade to a megakill camera just cause it sounds toyish. And anyways, my budget also $1.5k

2nd thing, I am in Shanghai now and I don't think I would have the time to visit a Canon service centre if there are any here.
I was hoping that since I am here, would it be cheaper to get a DSLR/Lens here instead of going back to Singapore to get it?

Only you can decide what you want. Even all the members here provide advice
ultimately it's your choice :)

Only you can decide what you want. Even all the members here provide advice
ultimately it's your choice :)

Of course :D That's why I am here to see what they have to say.

You're not alone. I have seen similar problems before. Not really a big deal, just one screw came loose.
It can still be fixed :)
OMG dude. I remember you! You helped me fix my lens before! Can you help me do it again?

4 ) Buy a new lens & Buy a new DSLR. Have fun. Enjoy the latest technology.

Last edited:
I have a budget of $1500 for a new camera,

Bro you need to budget for $3000, in case you want to change back if Nikon sounds no good too.

get a second hand one off bns till your 550D dies; should have more budget for a pro dslr then :)

do consider switching to legacy prime such as m42 primes. affordable, reliable . lesser moving parts to break. even EMP-proof , for the mechanically driven ones

Hi Bro, do considered the Sony SLT A77 for the shutter sound. Just fire away in continuous mode ;)

If u are itching to upgrade and the lens thing is just a good excuse then go check out the new Nikon D7100 with the kit lens. Should be do-eable within your budget.

Why spend thousands over something which will only cost ard ~100 for 2nd hand. (or maybe the same price for repairs?)

toyish? Not sure how it affects the image quality in anyway.

*Anyway, it sure sounds like you just want to get a new camera.... which IMO won't be much different from how you use the camera now. My advice is to just ignore the "toyish" bit and get the lens repaired or replaced. *

Thanks everyone for the various and helpful advice!

I probably won't replace my 550D. I have decided to repair it when I get back home to Singapore. Maybe my visit to the famous 4 storey camera mall in Shanghai next week might tempt me to get a different lens. XD

Since we are on this topic, what would be a good lens to take a look at for product/street photography?