Lens spec faq

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haydenhuang

Apr 23, 2008
www.facebook.com
Im really new to dslr and im wondering if anyone can explain to me the detailed lens spec that people in the buy/sell trade alway use? I know f1.8 (lowf) means the aperture can open real wide enabling a brighter picture and making foreground and background image look focused and f25 (high f) means darker image and more focused to an object and the mm range liek 25-200mm is the zoom effect with 25mm as the least to 200mm the max range it could reach or am i wrong? the rest of the lens spec i dont understand

Check the sticky here. It answers some of your questions. Not sure which part of a lens spec you don't understand - perhaps an example?

For a good book on camera hardware try David Busch's Mastering Digital SLR Photography. It's worth reading once if you're not familiar with SLR / DSLR. But it's not really worth buying. Unfortunately the library doesn't seem to have a copy.

wat is IR? and AFD and AL and USM amd HSM and f/4-5.6G IF-ED?=(

Some of them are manufacturer specific. Since you're a Nikon user, here's a link to a page with acronyms (some are not specific to Nikon).

USM = Canon's ultrasonic motor. Since Canon probably trademarked USM, Nikon called theirs SWM, Sigma HSM, etc.

VR = vibration reduction (optical stabilization by Nikon). Canon calls theirs IS (image stabilization).

Status
Not open for further replies.