lens shadow when shooting with flash

lamberry

Feb 2, 2010
how to overcome this problem when i take pic with the built-in flash a shadow will be cast on the photo

how to overcome this problem when i take pic with the built-in flash a shadow will be cast on the photo

Remove the lens hood or use an external flash. :)

i never use lens hood. speedlight will not cast a lens shadow?

If you're using a zoom lens, you will have to zoom in.

External will solve your problem regardless.

using prime lens :eek:

i never use lens hood. speedlight will not cast a lens shadow?

yes, having the light source higher will allow for a better light spread. Just think of it as science. A lower light angle will have more chances of being blocked, e.g. by a large lens diameter (be it hood or lens diameter)

the diagram didn't work out...

Last edited:
.... when i take pic with the built-in flash a shadow will be cast on the photo

This problem occurs when the lens or lens + lens hood combination is too long and blocks the light path from the built-in flash.

You may work around it by two ways. Limit the length of the lens or lens+hood or use external flash.

using prime lens :eek:

Then your lens is too wide and/or you're too near for you to be using it in the situation with your built-in without causing a shadow. :think:

Think about it, there is no easy solution. The lens is blocking the light from the flash. The only way is to frame your photo differently (by zooming in). Hotshot flashes are also positioned higher, so they have less of a problem with this too.

Your lens is probably in the path of your built-in flash. Using an external flash will eliminate the problem.

so what prime lens are you using? prime can be as small as 50mm F1.8, or can be as big as 300mm or 600mm primes.

posting the photo with the "lens shadow" will be easier for others to find out the real problem.

Get offshoe camera cord and use it fire from side rather than straight on.

Try using an Internal Flash Diffuser.

boh pian.

built in flash will cast shadow easily when you use wider angles because of the location.

even diffusing it will not help.

Not kidding..shoot with the camera upside down if really need too.

sorry, won't that just cast the shadow... on a different part of photo....

well, he isn't wrong.

http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae661.cfm

except that i don't think we have such intense gravity that our pop up flash light cast a shadow cos of gravity, and if we invert the camera, the pop up flash will project a light source that bounce to the floor and back on the person.

well, he isn't wrong.

http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae661.cfm

except that i don't think we have such intense gravity that our pop up flash light cast a shadow cos of gravity, and if we invert the camera, the pop up flash will project a light source that bounce to the floor and back on the person.

lol... i never know much physics beyond a level..

anyways, i have tried it before with my 10-20 at 10mm, turn any way also will have shadow cast.. :bsmilie:

so what prime lens are you using? prime can be as small as 50mm F1.8, or can be as big as 300mm or 600mm primes.

posting the photo with the "lens shadow" will be easier for others to find out the real problem.
35mm
i dun want a situation whereby after getting a speedlight, the problem still persist :(