Lens setup jerking on tripod

human1969

Jan 11, 2010
Hi,

Like to have some opinion on my issue.

When i mount my D90 + Sigma 50-150 (non-OS) on my tripod (Benro C0690M8, rated 5kg),
i can see the image slightly jerking up and down when viewing thru the optical viewfinder.
The weight of my setup is 0.7kg + 0.8kg, well below the tripod load,
though the lense is a bit long & doesnt come with a tripod collar.

Will upgrading a tripod head helps in my situation ?

Thanks

Is your tripod in good condition, i.e. no loose nuts or joints? Did you try this setup outdoors where the wind can affect the stability?

Was your tripod placed on sturdy ground?

Hi Guys,

The tripod is almost brand new in good condition,
So far i only use this lens for outdoor, never use it indoor actually. :D

Yes, the ground is sturdy, mostly cement.

I was guessing if the vibration is cause by the weight of the long lens.
I dont see this problem when i use my other shorter lense.
Of course they are also lighter in weight.

jerking up and down? weird.... dont seem to be a heavy load issue if it does that.

were you attemting to take a still photo or video? If latter, that lens is not particularly ideal since its centre of gravity is not properly aligned. Another advise either way or both photo and video taking is to add some weight(camera bag would suffice in most cases) to the central column of the tripod via the hook. If no hook, then just get creative with it.

buy a tripod collar

You can either improve your tripod head or get a lens collar such that the center of gravity of your setup is on the tripod.

Try not to shake leg when taking photos

I will try out the 'weight under the hook' method,
maybe try hanging my backpack.

If it still doesnt work,
Btw the tripod collar and bigger head,
which would be the more logical option to try first.

Thanks

Probably the tripod collar.

can show a photo taken under the condition u describe?
how is the wind speed? if u go to Duxton Pinnacale roof with long lens but the tripod plate is on camera, u will see shake.
any road nearby?
have u try try mirror lock up?
u say tripod rated at 5kg, what about the tripod head? what is the brand n model?

taken from this site http://www.bythom.com/Sigma50-150mm_lens_review.htm
Sometimes good ideas go bad. The Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 is an example of that. There are two versions of this lens: the original 50-150mm f/2.8, and the 50-150mm f/2.8 OS, which adds a rotating tripod collar and optical stabilization.

so it seems sigma realize the need for tripod collar after coming out with the non-os version.

more importantly, when u say u see image jerking up n down when view through view finder, do u mean during zooming in / out, u see the jerk, is it still jerking after everything is set, u?

Last edited:
Looks like i may have underestimate the wind factor.
Something i didnt pay much attention to.

Looking back,
i mostly use tripod when shooting landscape,
meaning usage mostly on Wide/Normal zoom lens.
While i normally shoot hand-held on my tele for portrait.

Nevertheless, just got myself a Sirui tripod,
been considering for quite some time and also have been hearing good review on the Sirui.
My previous ballhead was 24mm, while the Sirui G20 is 36mm
and the smallest section was 10mm, now is 16mm.
Quite a significant upgrade for me, only that the folded length increase by 6cm. :D

Btw,
Mine is the older Sigma 50-150 without OS,
definitely love the addition of OS,
but when the weight almost double and the price is 50% more than what i paid for my Sigma,
i think i stick to my old love :bsmilie:

Cheer !!

Hi Guys,

The tripod is almost brand new in good condition,
So far i only use this lens for outdoor, never use it indoor actually. :D

Yes, the ground is sturdy, mostly cement.

I was guessing if the vibration is cause by the weight of the long lens.
I dont see this problem when i use my other shorter lense.
Of course they are also lighter in weight.

Were you on a place that has high volume of vehicular traffic? Sometimes due to vibrations on the road or bridges etc. You do get something like this..

When you have the centre of gravity off the tripod head due to the weight of your long lens, as well as using a long focal length, any minute vibration will be amplified. One of the solutions you can consider is to get a long lens support. Velbon and manfrotto offers a very good one, you can get them in most recommended stores. Another option is to get a long lens with tripod collar.

other possible issues mentioned by CSers here are also valid, if you are shooting close to a road, passing vehicles can cause vibrations.

You may also want to check if any attached parts of your tripod mount or ballhead is loose. I've experienced a lot of freeplay once and turns out the screws below the ballhead were very loose (cheap China brand tripod) haha

When you have the centre of gravity off the tripod head due to the weight of your long lens, as well as using a long focal length, any minute vibration will be amplified.

You worded my thought :D

I will see how my new Sirui T1204X turn out on my next trip.
Hopefully can save some $$ on the L-Brackets. :bsmilie:

Btw,
Not so much on road vibration.
This only affect my longer tele, wide/normal lens are ok.

Thanks