Lens servicing/cleaning

gtl1987

Oct 28, 2008
Hi, was just wondering, where do you guys send your lens for maintenance? The FA limiteds have been pretty long in production now, say I have a 10 year old copy, maybe the lubricants need to be reapplied etc. Does Emjay do this? I tried googling how to disassemble a camera lens but can't find anything on the FA limiteds. Though I doubt I would risk disassembling mine personally.

I had trouble looking for lithium/silicone grease.. And i wanna polish my front element but dunno how to do that..

For servicing i think there's a new place at kaki bukit. Check out pentax sg fb page.

Recently I sent my Minolta SLR to De Camera Consultant, to fix my hot shoe.
I was told to wait on the spot for 1 hour, end up 3 hours, when the things are done, the assembly something goes wrong with the shutter speed selector, end up he say he can't fixed it at the agreed price of $45. On top of the loss of my $45, I paid a price which the shutter assembly is spoilt. Funny enough I paid a person who screwed up my camera. Hence, Lesson learn is never approached a camera repair person for a minor fault, or you will end up having a major fault. No point repairing a old SLR camera for more than $150 unless it has sentimental value, I initally buy this for $100, repair and re-CLA cost $280 (thanks to P&G), and $45 to make it spoilt.

A couple of years ago I went in there to try to get a wrongly adjusted focusing ring fixed on an M lens and he was not much help. Kept insisting there wasn't a problem, or if there was it couldn't be fixed. Seemed to think you could check whether a lens was focusing accurately by looking through the viewfinder. Someone else sorted it later in about 20 minutes.

wow this camera consultant sounds like some con shop that knows nuts about how to fix gear. thanks for the warning!

well, my experiences with the old man were somehow different. sometimes he even helps me fix small issues FOC.

wow this camera consultant sounds like some con shop that knows nuts about how to fix gear. thanks for the warning!

Sorry to hear the bad news TengCC792.
There's always a risk in fixing cameras and lenses.
Even service centers know there are risks involved. That's the reason why they don't accept repair jobs (even cleaning) if they don't have the parts. If something goes wrong, they can't do anything.

It may look strange for me to defend this man ( I know he doesn't like me ;) ), but he rents a shop, and spent 3 hours trying to fix the camera, only to con $45?

It was an unfortunate incident for both repairman and client.

Last edited:
Even service centers know there are risks involved. That's the reason why they don't accept repair jobs (even cleaning) if they don't have the parts. If something goes wrong, they can't do anything.

It may look strange for me to defend this man ( I know he doesn't like me ;) ), but he rents a shop, and spent 3 hours trying to fix the camera, only to con $45?

I incline to agree with fatique. To Teng CC792 you may wish to PM fatique above for some quotes as he is quite capable in this technicalities, mabye lower than other shopfront though. My past experience on his service is good...

marcus

I am not very sure of getting it fixed. I got it cheap when I am "know-nuts" for $100. End up I re'CLA, repaired mirror lock up and clean fungus in lens & viewfinder for $280 (feels being ripped off), but this shop could not fix the hotshoe. Then I go to this Grandlink to get help, then end up spend $45 to make it my $380 investment go to drain.

I incline to agree with fatique. To Teng CC792 you may wish to PM fatique above for some quotes as he is quite capable in this technicalities, mabye lower than other shopfront though. My past experience on his service is good...

marcus

Yep, he was the guy who fixed my M lens.

Agree totally with Bro Fatigue. The repairman is also a person - and any person can make a mistake, and sometimes an irreversible mistake. There are so many different kinds and makes of lenses and bodies and it's impossible for anyone to know all of them like the back of his hand. Even for an experienced guy, he may also sometimes forget and need to refer to assembly diagrams. Its not an easy job repairing something as intricate as a mechanical camera with hundreds of tiny parts.

For a blotched job, the most he can do is not to charge you anything...but you know, he got a shop and rental to maintain...