Lens repair

garylaihk

Oct 21, 2006
I just discovered fungus on my lens. Any recommendations on a good place where I can get it clean, besides Canon itself? Thanks

I think CSC is the safest. You dont want your lens come back with scratches and out of calibration.

I just discovered fungus on my lens. Any recommendations on a good place where I can get it clean, besides Canon itself? Thanks
Which lens is it? What is your budget? What is the warranty status? Not that fungus is covered by warranty but during that period you should stick to CSC.
Depending on where the fungus is (which element) and how complex (or not) the dismantling is a third party shop can do the same job for less money. If these shops would handle customer equipment carelessly we would know it soon here :)
In the long run .. review your storage conditions. You can get a dry cabinet for less money than the cleaning will cost.

You can search for nick :Fatigue, he is a CS member. Email him about ur problem and the lens u have. He will contact u about the place to view your lens and clean it for u. Probably will take around 3 days before collecting depending on your lens condition, etc. I got fungus on my nikon 35mm f1.8, NSC quoted me S$133, fatigue just did it for me for a lower price :)

Last edited:
You can search for nick :Fatigue, he is a CS member. Email him about ur problem and the lens u have. He will contact u about the place to view your lens and clean it for u. Probably will take around 3 days before collecting depending on your lens condition, etc. I got fungus on my nikon 35mm f1.8, NSC quoted me S$133, fatigue just did it for me for S$35. Save almost S$100. :)

+1 for fatigue

He can diagnose the problem from description on-line, and can even recommend simple remedy to resolve it.

I have a canon & a sigma lens that is affected. Thanks for the advise. BTW, what is CSC?

Canon Service Center

CSC only do repairs for Canon lens... if your Sigma lenses were affected, you would have to take them down to Sigma's service centres.

Alternatively, you might want to check Camera Hospital and P&G Camera to see if they can help you, not too sure about their charges though.

It is more convenient for me to go to 1 service center instead of 2. Thanks for the advice.

BTW, I spoke to a professional photographer and he said that Canon does not have a clean room to service lenses. So, aside from the skill of the repair person, the quality of cleaning should be comparable and very likely cheaper. He was not able to recommend a service center since all his equipment & services are sponsored by Canon.

The alternative is that canon offers you warranty and consumer protection. If you can forgo that warranty then by all means a professional repairman will most likely do an even better job. I recommend camera hospital.

BTW, I spoke to a professional photographer and he said that Canon does not have a clean room to service lenses. So, aside from the skill of the repair person, the quality of cleaning should be comparable and very likely cheaper. He was not able to recommend a service center since all his equipment & services are sponsored by Canon.
None of the Service Centers of other brands has a clean room either and given the fact that no lens is airtight it does not make much sense to have a clean room. It would be only for the cosmetics in the moment of handing over the equipment. You leave the room with your zoom lens, in front of the door you zoom in and out and the dust comes back. Or to put it into local slang: no economic benefit but a lot of additional costs (think about the airlock system, clothes etc).
The dust inside lenses needs to form massive colonies and dust balls (preferable near the rear element) before it will affect the images in any measurable way. The farther away from sensor or rear element the less likely it will be noticed in the image.
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/10/front-element-scratches
Dirty lens article

clov3r said:
You can search for nick :Fatigue, he is a CS member. Email him about ur problem and the lens u have. He will contact u about the place to view your lens and clean it for u. Probably will take around 3 days before collecting depending on your lens condition, etc. I got fungus on my nikon 35mm f1.8, NSC quoted me S$133, fatigue just did it for me for.........

Hi. You can't discuss publicly how much fatigue charges for repairs. He's very particular with that. I'm quite certain he has mentioned this to you.

Last edited:
Hmm nope he never mention that to me, but have changed my sentence.