Lens repair in Singapore: FA50 f/1.7

timo

Jun 10, 2005
Serangoon Ave. 4
www.pbase.com
Hi all

My FA50 f/1.7 works well except when focused to long distance/infinity. Focused to infinity manually or with AF - right to the end of the travel of the focusing ring - it actually focuses on a point about 20 metres away or less. One repairer in Sg has taken it apart, 'recallibrated' it, and declared it in perfect condition. He then (a) was reluctant to admit there was still a problem (a lot of BS about it being an analogue lens); and (b) anyway failed to sort it. If there had been a more fundamental problem with the lens, he should have been able to say so; and in any case at distances shorter than that it works perfectly - including very accurate AF and sharp shots wide open - which suggest there is no major misalignment.

So it's great for close ups or interior shots, but useless for anything outdoors, basically. I have or had four other 50s at various times - I know when a lens is working properly and when it isn't.

Any recommendations for competent repairers/service places? Not worth sending it back to Pentax, I would guess. (And in any case if it goes back to Tokyo it will take three months!)

Thanks for any recommendations.

Tim

Last edited:
I can do it for you if it's a manual Pentax 50mm lens. For auto focus one, I'm not really confident. You can try The Camera Workshop, their service and price are pretty okay. I've had my lenses and cameras serviced in some other shops too, but so far I still feel the Camera Workshop has the best value for simple lens repair.

I can do it for you if it's a manual Pentax 50mm lens. For auto focus one, I'm not really confident. You can try The Camera Workshop, their service and price are pretty okay. I've had my lenses and cameras serviced in some other shops too, but so far I still feel the Camera Workshop has the best value for simple lens repair.

Thanks Frank. I'll talk to them. What p*ssed me off about the other guy was that he wouldn't accept that there was a problem. He pointed to the focus scale on the outside of the lens as evidence that the lens was focusing accurately. And his idea of testing focus accuracy at infinity was putting the lens on a film camera and then looking through it at an indoor target with some kind of loupe. That rather undermined my confidence ... Anyway I'm $90 poorer now, but at least the lens has been cleaned. He seemed to have all the right testing equipment but whether he used it properly I cannot say.

Yeah it's AF. I've got an M50 f/1.7 that works fine - so I know what sort of general optical performance I should expect.

Cheers,

Tim

I am just wondering could your lens be suffering from focus shift since you generally would stop down for distance shooting? How is the lens before sending it in?

BTW, who is the "other repairer" ?

Last edited:
I am just wondering could your lens be suffering from focus shift since you generally would stop down for distance shooting?

BTW, who is the "other repairer" ?

Not focusing properly at infinity was the reason I took it in in the first place.

It's not a question of focus shift. The focus ring simply won't rotate far enough to focus at all at long distance. But you're right up to a point, if you stop right down, the DOF become large enough that the softness is reduced - but it is not eliminated. And of course if you are working in low light (which is one reason for having a 'fast' lens) you might not stop down anyway.

The camera is also very unwilling to lock autofocus at long distance with this lens, it seems to agree with me that the image is not sharp! Fine closer up.

I'm not going to blacken the name of the 'other' repairer - I might meet him on a dark night one day. But he is not in either Peninsula Plaza or P Shopping Centre.

Cheers,

Tim

Last edited:
Thanks Frank. I'll talk to them. What p*ssed me off about the other guy was that he wouldn't accept that there was a problem. He pointed to the focus scale on the outside of the lens as evidence that the lens was focusing accurately. And his idea of testing focus accuracy at infinity was putting the lens on a film camera and then looking through it at an indoor target with some kind of loupe. That rather undermined my confidence ... Anyway I'm $90 poorer now, but at least the lens has been cleaned. He seemed to have all the right testing equipment but whether he used it properly I cannot say.

Yeah it's AF. I've got an M50 f/1.7 that works fine - so I know what sort of general optical performance I should expect.

Cheers,

Tim

You know what, I had exactly the same experience w/ another shop, and the owner happens to be a brother of the shop you went to. The guy promised to fix my lens (which had three problems: loosing aperture blades, dust inside, and A contact couldn't lock), otherwise no charge. Ended up he only fixed the aperture blades and cleaned the lens, but he didn't fix the A contact lock. Still charged me $160! I'd never go to them again!

If you go to the Camera Workshop, please do look for Becky, the lady boss. And tell her it's Frank recommended. Hopefully she'd give you a even better price ;)

Last edited:
It's not a question of focus shift. The focus ring simply won't rotate far enough to focus at all at long distance. But you're right up to a point, if you stop right down, the DOF become large enough that the softness is reduced - but it is not eliminated. And of course if you are working in low light (which is one reason for having a 'fast' lens) you might not stop down anyway.

The camera is also very unwilling to lock autofocus at long distance with this lens, it seems to agree with me that the image is not sharp! Fine closer up.

I'm not going to blacken the name of the 'other' repairer - I might meet him on a dark night one day. But he is not in either Peninsula Plaza or P Shopping Centre.

Cheers,

Tim

If it cannot be focused at infinity, then it is probably a calibration issue. I am no expert, I do read that lenses need to be calibrated for near, middle and far.

AF lenses are tricky, send back to manufacturer?

I think I know which one. I think he can't cope with his long list of pending work so tend to lack a bit of finesses. Since you already paid up, why not insist that he rectify the problem. He does provide some sort of warranty isn't it?

You know what, I had exactly the same experience w/ another shop, and the owner happens to be a brother of the shop you went to. The guy promised to fix my lens (which had three problems: loosing aperture blades, dust inside, and A contact couldn't lock), otherwise no charge. Ended up he only fixed the aperture blades and cleaned the lens, but he didn't fix the A contact lock. Still charged me $160! I'd never go to them again!

If you go to the Camera Workshop, please do look for Becky, the lady boss. And tell her it's Frank recommended. Hopefully she'd give you a even better price ;)

Wah! You no good lah! Now then you say can mention your name. :D

Yes, the lady boss was helpful and friendly.

Last edited:
If it cannot be focused at infinity, then it is probably a calibration issue. I am no expert, I do read that lenses need to be calibrated for near, middle and far.

Yeah but I don't think you understand - it is not an AF problem. Focusing AF or manual, however you do it, when the focus ring is CLUNK up against the infinity stop at the end of its range, it's actually focusing about 30m away. It's a mechanical problem.

AF lenses are tricky, send back to manufacturer?

I think I know which one. I think he can't cope with his long list of pending work so tend to lack a bit of finesses. Since you already paid up, why not insist that he rectify the problem. He does provide some sort of warranty isn't it?

Sure but for all the hassle and confrontation I can't be bothered. He did clean it, so I would rather write off, say $45.

Hhhmm - I don't know if he had a long list of pending work. Didn't get that impression, but I may be wrong. Don't know how much traffic he gets in the basement ... (hint hint)

Tim

I didn't have anything to rant about the guy. Just that I observed that he isn't exactly a watch maker. You know what I mean...delicate, subtle, detail. But he cleaned my lens alright.

2 funny incidents happened when I am there.

I brought a Contax for him to work on. And since it is a MMG, which is rather rare. I keep asking him if he can do a good job. He keeps emphasizing that his customer brought a Leica to him. He kept emphasizing "Leica, you know" , insinuating that it is more expensive than my lens. I wanted to tell him I have plenty of Leica too but none as rare as my MMG. But I didn't want to create problem for myself before the lens is cleaned so let it go.

Then I wanted to buy a CY-EOS adapter and he brought one with the confirmation chip. I told him I don't need the AF chip. He told me to wait and he went into his room, pry out the AF chip which is glued (rather messily), came back and offered the adapter to me with the glue still intact. "There you go" he said. I am rather surprised as I am expecting him to take a new adapter to me.

Last edited:
Wah! You no good lah! Now then you say can mention your name. :D

Yes, the lady boss was helpful and friendly.

Just a few years ago when I was still using my 1979 Canon AE-1 I went in there, saw a Tamron 28-200 FD-mount (i.e. obsolete) MF zoom on the shelf and bought it. They either thought it was Christmas or that I was an idiot - either way they were pleased to sell a lens they thought would be sitting there until the end of time ... anyway they seemed quite professional.

Hmm, I think I just sent my two manual lens there for clean up due to Fungus and Hazy. How much is it?

I can just use my teacher name at his shop. The last time I did it, I got myself a sturdy big tripod with a bag less than the price they stated.(Didnt use much on the tripod coz damn heavy and strong).They love my teacher very much I think. lol