Lens recommendations

remi1567

Jul 8, 2010
Hi!

I am finally getting my camera kit back up again (after ditching my trusty Nikon FE years ago). Though am back at the starting blocks, I got sold into the Canon stable this time and got a 7D with 18-135mm & 580EX II, then with the budget busted :embrass: had to sting on the tripod. Got a Weifeng Fancier which seems to be okay for starters.

I would like to slowly build a set of lenses as I go along, while the Canon L Series EF 70-200 f/4 would be great, :think: perhaps I should learn to walk again before I run.

Any recommendations?

Hi!

I am finally getting my camera kit back up again (after ditching my trusty Nikon FE years ago). Though am back at the starting blocks, I got sold into the Canon stable this time and got a 7D with 18-135mm & 580EX II, then with the budget busted :embrass: had to sting on the tripod. Got a Weifeng Fancier which seems to be okay for starters.

I would like to slowly build a set of lenses as I go along, while the Canon L Series EF 70-200 f/4 would be great, :think: perhaps I should learn to walk again before I run.

Any recommendations?

You need to tell us what you like to shoot.

I travel a fair bit so I expect a lot of landscapes (both natural and city), architecture, street and people would make up the most. Night shots especially fireworks would certainly be in. While I would not venture macro and sports at this stage, prespectives perhaps.

Would that be a wide range?

I travel a fair bit so I expect a lot of landscapes (both natural and city), architecture, street and people would make up the most. Night shots especially fireworks would certainly be in. While I would not venture macro and sports at this stage, prespectives perhaps.

You already mentioned quite a few genres, Landscapes, Architecture, Street and Portrait (people).

For landscapes, an Ultra Wide Angle lens would be good. Consider Canon 10-22, Sigma 10-20, Tokina 11-16

For Architecture, you need some PC lenses. I do not know of any Canon lenses that does this. You can try getting a Nikon to Canon adapter, and try Nikon's PC lenses.

For street I recommend a Sigma 30mm/1.4 or 50/1.8

For Portrait, Canon 85/1.8

If travelling quite a bit and want convenience, just get a all-in-one lens, Canon 18-200IS, Tamron 18-270 VC, Sigma 18-250 OS HSM.

These lenses I recommended are the cheaper lenses. You can always pay (a lot) more for the expensive lenses in these ranges.

Last edited:
You already mentioned quite a few genres, Landscapes, Architecture, Street and Portrait (people).

For landscapes, an Ultra Wide Angle lens would be good. Consider Canon 10-22, Sigma 10-20, Tokina 11-16

For Architecture, you need some PC lenses. I do not know of any Canon lenses that does this. You can try getting a Nikon to Canon adapter, and try Nikon's PC lenses.

For street I recommend a Sigma 30mm/1.4 or 50/1.8

For Portrait, Canon 85/1.8

If travelling quite a bit and want convenience, just get a all-in-one lens, Canon 18-200IS, Tamron 18-270 VC, Sigma 18-250 OS HSM.

These lenses I recommended are the cheaper lenses. You can always pay (a lot) more for the expensive lenses in these ranges.

PC lenses = tilt shift lenses right?

http://www.canon.com.sg/personal/products/dslrs/lenses#type=eos-lenses-tilt-shift
:)

Fully agree!
Any recommendations?
There you go :) - If you don't know what you need then stop searching just for the sake of having more than one lens. Shoot and see what you like and need. Keep in mind that you are working now with crop sensor, so field of view is different.

TS: If you are not too much worried about weight then for traveling you can have 10-22 or 11-16 + EF 17-40 + 24-70 or 70-300, depending upon what interest you more. I am more interested in the UW and wide angle side and my lineup is heavy on that side.

Those long range lenses are good for nothing :confused: I would rather say, putting a long range lens on ur DSLR is injustice to the capabilities of DSLR. If you rely too much on this lens then prosumer may be a better option, with even longer range, full manual control and sometime amazing picture quality.

What is PC lens?

What is PC lens?
perspective-correction.... not personal computer :)
lens can tilt and shift to change the viewer's perspective.

TS, if you're not in a hurry to get another lens yet, try shooting with your 18-135 lens for a while.

If, like me, you find that you keep going to the wide end and want it even wider.... well, there's your answer.
Keep taking photos, then when you review the EXIF say a month or 2 down the road, you can have a clearer idea what focal length you tend to shoot at, and what lens to get next.

perspective-correction.... not personal computer :)
lens can tilt and shift to change the viewer's perspective.

Haha...Thank u Teacher ZerocoolAstra for your enlightenment ;p

Thanks daredevil123 for the recos.

For starters may go in for a wide angle to complement the 18-135mm (which is good lens too), just a little itchy to have more zoom.

PC lens would probably end up last on my shopping list. (zerocoolAstra thanks for the clarification) I was lost with the jargon too ;p

Is there a big difference in using non Canon lenses? I seen some really good lenses from Sigma, Tamron & Tokina but never used them. Stuck with Canon and Nikon (on the older camers) so far.

Thanks daredevil123 for the recos.

For starters may go in for a wide angle to complement the 18-135mm (which is good lens too), just a little itchy to have more zoom.

PC lens would probably end up last on my shopping list. (zerocoolAstra thanks for the clarification) I was lost with the jargon too ;p

Is there a big difference in using non Canon lenses? I seen some really good lenses from Sigma, Tamron & Tokina but never used them. Stuck with Canon and Nikon (on the older camers) so far.
I lurrrvve my Tokina 12-24 f/4!!! :)

built like a tank, priced like a pickup! :)

Canon 24-105 f/4L :thumbsup:
plus a wide angle lens