Lens Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwsy26

Mar 13, 2008
Hi fellows,

I'm having some thoughts to add on some accessories for my 400D EFS 18-55mm + EF50mm f1.8. Investing in lens seems to be a good choice for me since I can't do much with my kit lens.

Any good recommendations?

Investing in lens seems to be a good choice for me since I can't do much with my kit lens.

Hi bwsy26

Do share with us some of the problems you faced with the 18-55mm and EF50mm f1.8.
What are the specific areas where u find them limiting ?

Perhaps we can have a better idea to work from

Ryan

Which field of photography are you interested in? We can best assist you if you can provide us with more information.

Hi fellows,

I'm having some thoughts to add on some accessories for my 400D EFS 18-55mm + EF50mm f1.8. Investing in lens seems to be a good choice for me since I can't do much with my kit lens.

Yup, I agree with giantcanopy.

What can't you do with your kit lens? From the problem you have, you can find a suitable lens.

Oh yes, and your budget too.

I brought along my kit lens during travelling but found that I can't do much zooming due to the focal constraints. As for 50mm, I would think that it is good for portraits but not landscape. Personally, I like landscape nature photography.

the focal length of the kit lens is arguably the most useful and essential range.

even if u are to buy a "better" lens, u may be essentially getting something w the same focal length, but only faster.

and, not all landscape are done w wide angle. good ones have been shot at all focal length.

would advise u to hold your purchase, and shoot more w your existing gear.

keep shooting.

Hi fellows,

I brought along my kit lens during travelling but found that I can't do much zooming due to the focal constraints. As for 50mm, I would think that it is good for portraits but not landscape. Personally, I like landscape nature photography.

By the way you had posted, I think at the back of your mind you wanted a telephoto lens so you can zoom in onto a subject, since you do not have a mid-focal to telefocal lens. Whether you need one depends on what type of photos you want to take. My suggestion is to borrow/rent a longer focal len lens and try to see if that is what you really wanted and know the indequacy as focal len is never long enough depending on the type of photo you take.

Best not to buy when the BBB virus is at its worse cos you may not be able to think straight and good telephoto lens can be quite expensive. ;)

Landscapes? Then a wide angle lens may be useful.

Question:
Do you often find yourself constrained by the 18mm wide-end limit of your kit lens?

If so, I suggest you borrow or rent some ultra-wide angle lens to try it out.

By the way, landscapes can be shot with a 200mm or greater lens too, so landscape shooting doesn't necessarily mean a wide or ultra-wide angle lens.

There seems to be 2 "needs" here. One that needs more "zoom", the other more landscape.

Generally, this will have to be "handled" by having 2 lens. For more zoom, you might want to consider getting the 50-150 lens or 70-200/300 lens. Which lens to buy will than again depend on factor such as budget, weight and intended use.

For the landscape need, if you are hoping to capture "more" in a single shoot, than you will have to consider a Ultra Wide Angle lens in the range of 10-35mm. The selection here is not as wide as the one above, you could easily decide on which you want to get by identifying your budget. The other cheaper method to satisfy this need is of course not to buy any lens but to make use of the stitching feature in your photo editing software.

Thanks for all the advice.

I thot of getting the 24-70mm f2.8L. Read that it is one of the best walkaround lens.
Your opinions?

Thanks for all the advice.

I thot of getting the 24-70mm f2.8L. Read that it is one of the best walkaround lens.
Your opinions?

24-70 2.8 is a good walkaround lens for FullFrame.

your 18-55 kit lens, after the 1.6 crop factor, covers almost the same focal length as the 24-70. but i wun consider the 24-70 focal length very happening after mounting onto your 400D.

Wow! That's one expensive lens! But hey, if you can afford it, nobody will stop you. I personally don't think it's a great idea though. I would want to use that lens in a 1.6 crop factor. Wouldn't come to much... Do take note that you'll be giving up the wider end of your kit lens.

Investing in lens seems to be a good choice for me since I can't do much with my kit lens. Any good recommendations?

Unless you are a collector of limited editions or a professional photographer you will not do any investment - instead you will spend money on lenses. Fundamental difference. Investment is meant to increase the money that you put in.
Analyze carefully in which situations you are limited by your kit lens. First try to overcome by other means ('zoom by feet' etc.). Once you know exactly in which way the kit lens limits you it becomes very obvious which lens you need.

So what would be your recommendations to complement my existing combinations if I would to do travel photography?

Replace your kit lens with the efs 17-55 2.8IS (1.3k), and get a 70-200 f/4IS (1.5k) and if you want to shoot ultra-wide, get the efs 10-22mm (800-900).

if not, get the 55-250IS (S$360) which isn't very good, but 'good enough' if you're not picky.

Hi headshotzx,

Pls enlight me. Would I be just no better or worse off if I were to replace my 18-55mm with 17-55mm? Pardon me as I don't quite understand. Thks.

Pls enlight me. Would I be just no better or worse off if I were to replace my 18-55mm with 17-55mm? Pardon me as I don't quite understand. Thks.

Here you can read up about both lenses:
17-55, f/2.8, USM, IS: http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/178-canon-ef-s-17-55mm-f28-usm-is-test-report--review
18-55, f/3.5-5.6 (Kit lens II): http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/180-canon-ef-s-18-55mm-f35-56-ii-test-report--review

Hi headshotzx,

It depends what sort of shooter are you and that you understand what you are getting with a 17-55mm.

to highlight the points above, if you are okay with not so sharp but useable pics from long distance and dont intend to spend so much, the $360 55-250mm IS and 18-55mm IS combo will do quite well but of course there will those who will nitpick why not sharp or why blur. Really depends how much $$$ you want to sink into equipment. I recommend however using that money instead to go for camera lessons on technique and post processing to learn to work with what you got.

Usually for extra sharp pics, i would use the "everyone-should-have-since-so-cheap" F/1.8 50mm Prime and take as close as possible and then do a clean crop on the computer.

Last edited:
Hi headshotzx,

u'd be better off shootin more w your kit lens and worry less abt wat new toys to buy.

focus on fundamentals and develop good shootin habits, and u will find your existing gear more than enough to produce pic capable of enlargements.

Hmm... This may be a little in the face, and my apologies if you are offended, but it seems like you are not strong in the fundamentals. I highly recommend that you continue with your current setup or to rent/borrow equipment just to try them out.

In time, you'd find out which is the limiting factor - you or your camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.