Lens recommendations please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vii_haven

Dec 12, 2004
I'm intending to get a 350D at the end of Feb, and i want to get it with one or two extra lenses besides the kit lens. I hear the kit lens is 18-55mm f/3.6-5.6 and it's not very clear/good. I'm looking for a zoom lens i believe and a wide angle will definately be good.

Basically, i shoot (as a hobby and for church sometimes) events outdoors and indoors, and some scenery sometimes.

I have been recommended a few lenses:

1. 17-40mm f/4L (wide angle) Canon
2. 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 (zoom lens) Canon

Can anyone give some short review on the above lenses?

Also, i'd like to know if you guys have any other lenses/brands to recommend? My budget is below a thousand for each lens. Doesn't have to be a L lens, just has to be reliable, clear and good.

Who says the kit lens isn't very good/clear?

It depends on the skill of the photographer to bring out the best. There are lots of tips available on how to maximise the use of the lens. Its only true weakness in my opinion is indoors where stopping down really isn't an option. Else it works pretty well, esp since this is prob. your first SLR.

Based on your needs I suggest you get a fast lens like the 50mm 1.8 for indoor (church) use. Supplement that with an external flash. Might want to consider a fast zoom if you can afford it. Might want to try the sigma 70-200 2.8, though you can get away with a canon 70-200 f4 which is sharper. Other lens to consider:

Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 (debatable due to build quality and range, optically excellent)
Canon 17-40mm f4 (Highly recommended, if you use the range often. But better if purchased later as an upgrade)
Canon 85mm f1.8 (Highly recommended, very versatile despite being a prime)
Canon 17-85mm (debatable option, but the lens has its merits esp on range +IS)
Sigma 18-200mm (Highly debatable option, excellent range though you trade off some image quality)
Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro (Good choice for beginners, not so good at the 200-300 range)

Read the reviews here:
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html

Ok, to add on, i have used a 10D, 20D and 300D before but they're all borrowed from friends. This will be my first very own DSLR. I'm not extremely new to them as i've handled them before and shot stuff with them, but i've only shot on them and not really went into the details on the lenses and stuff.

All these lenses that are mentioned, where can i get them the cheapest? Alan photo?

the kit lens does provide basic need only. However, it's worse to use it for night photography. A lot of reflection and ghost image.

vii_haven said:
Ok, to add on, i have used a 10D, 20D and 300D before but they're all borrowed from friends. This will be my first very own DSLR. I'm not extremely new to them as i've handled them before and shot stuff with them, but i've only shot on them and not really went into the details on the lenses and stuff.

All these lenses that are mentioned, where can i get them the cheapest? Alan photo?

You'll have to hunt around if you want the "cheapest". Here are some recommended places/people:

1) The Oracle (search for his nick here on CS)
2) MS Color (arguably the cheapest around)
3) TCW (Grey sets, shop warranty)
4) Cathay Photo (Not really the cheapest, but they're reliable, though there are bargains sometimes)
5) B&S Section (You can get pretty new sets a few months old... save a couple of hundred quid. But you need patience and a sharp eye!)

Happy shopping.

Check out the EF-S 17-85mm IS USM.. I have 1 and it works great for me.. But if you're able to increase your budget, do without a telephoto lens for a while and can live with only 1 wide-midtele lens for the time being.. I would strongly suggest a 24-105mm F4L IS USM for about $20??.. You can check with The Oracle.. He's doing a MO now.. The reason I say this is because "most" pple after getting 17-85mm or 17-40L or even 24-70L will yearn for a telephoto lens.. So if you consider a 17-85mm + 70-300mm, the price of both added together is the same as the price for a 24-105L.. I was one of them who bought both the 17-85mm + 70-300mm and sometimes wonder if I should sell both off and get a 24-105L :)

vii_haven said:
I'm intending to get a 350D at the end of Feb, and i want to get it with one or two extra lenses besides the kit lens. I hear the kit lens is 18-55mm f/3.6-5.6 and it's not very clear/good. I'm looking for a zoom lens i believe and a wide angle will definately be good.

Basically, i shoot (as a hobby and for church sometimes) events outdoors and indoors, and some scenery sometimes.

Also, i'd like to know if you guys have any other lenses/brands to recommend? My budget is below a thousand for each lens. Doesn't have to be a L lens, just has to be reliable, clear and good.

BTW.. I personally think the 28-105mm is not a good idea for the 350D.. Reason being that after crop ratio you're getting 45mm-168mm.. It's like, neither here nor there.. With the 24-105L, you at least get 38mm semi-wide and L lens quality

vii_haven said:

Get the 28-105 first. Pretty Good bang for your buck. It's pretty decent stopped down to f5.6 and what's more it can usually be had for under 250 2nd hand. Use it as a learning lens first and get something more costly later. You might not even sell it later. It's pretty good under most circumstances.

donkuok said:
the kit lens does provide basic need only. However, it's worse to use it for night photography. A lot of reflection and ghost image.

To me, I just hate the flat colors of the kit lens. There's simply no contrast.
Flare and ghosting can be minimized or eliminated with hood / polorizer.
But colors, something you have to edit digitally, and it's tedious coz it's so flat.

Depending on the kind of photography you want to take, then you choose the lens you want. Ask yourself some questions, like...

Your first lens posted: (17-40L) It's a very good lens but it's wide. Is this what you need?
Your second lens posted: (28-105mm) This range makes a very good walkaround. But not sufficient to cover a wide area. Is this what you want?

I bought 2 lens lens when I just started out DSLR (and I'm still holding on to them), making up together of a Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro, a 18-55 kit and Tamron 28-75 F2.8.

The reason I have the above:
70-300mm: Can't afford a top notch tele, this is one of the cheap option within my budget. Used it for outdoor architectures and rock formations.
18-55mm: Stuck with this. Good for travel coz it's light. Used it for anything wide.
28-75mm: It's F2.8 and cheap. Can fight with the 24-70L for 1.6x crop body. Used it for portraits and walkaround.

The questions I posted myself before buying the above are what range do I need? what kind of occasion is the lens required? what is my budget? what are the third party alternatives?

It's a broad question...but when I first started off along the same lines as you did, I opted to have one standard lens and a medium telephoto in my bag.

The kit lens is pretty good if you stop it down to f/5.6 or f/8, and I shoot with it almost exclusively at f/8 except for walkaround (tripodless) night photography.

I opted to keep the kit lens (standard lens) and buy a Canon 70-200mm f/4L. It's a little expensive, but considered to be good value by most.

A cheaper alternative is the highly-rated Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, I believe slightly over $300 new.

BTW, I'm selling my 6+ month old Canon 70-200mm f/4L because I've decided to get something longer-reaching. If you're interested, do drop me a PM and we can work something out. Check it out here:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=175201

The Kit lens is quite sharp f5.6 and below till f11.From my POV, since you shoot events, you should also consider getting a hotshoe flash.Shoot more, and understand what focal length you need first then go for the lens.I personally do not recommend primes for events, especially newer photographers.

EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 I.S for the occasional distant shot

I have somewhat narrowed my choices down to the following after reading the reviews and doing some research.

1. Canon 17-40 f/4L

2. Canon 50 f/1.8

3. Canon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM
OR
4. Canon 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
OR
5. Tamron 18-200mm XR Di II Macro (how much will this cost normally?)

Comments? More suggestions?

Our of curiosity, why doesn't anyone suggest the 28-135mm USM lens?

Hope to understand this as well.. I tried the 28-105 before but feel that the 28-135mm serves better. Just my 2cents worth.

sheltie_prince said:
Our of curiosity, why doesn't anyone suggest the 28-135mm USM lens?

Hope to understand this as well.. I tried the 28-105 before but feel that the 28-135mm serves better. Just my 2cents worth.
Well, prob of the additional cost of the IS?

JediForce4ever said:
The Kit lens is quite sharp f5.6 and below till f11.From my POV, since you shoot events, you should also consider getting a hotshoe flash.Shoot more, and understand what focal length you need first then go for the lens.I personally do not recommend primes for events, especially newer photographers.
Is there any photographer who shoots a AD Wedding with just one prime lense?

Sounds really challenging.

The bridal-photography studio photographers whom I know (only a few), use zoom lenses for events too.

Would like to see the work of a "all-prime only" photographer covering an event.

Thanks

If u only like to lug one lens out, I suggest 24-105mm f/4.0L.

Otherwise I would propose a 17-40mm f/4.0L + 50mm f/1.4 + 70-200mm f/4.0L for a budget startup.

EUGSEOW said:
If u only like to lug one lens out, I suggest 24-105mm f/4.0L.

Otherwise I would propose a 17-40mm f/4.0L + 50mm f/1.4 + 70-200mm f/4.0L for a budget startup.

Hmmm... I wouldn't call that a "budget" startup...

Status
Not open for further replies.