Lens Recommendations For D5000

Foress

May 20, 2011
Hi,

I'm using my D5000.
Looking to get a good lens for my usage.
The kit lens are pretty much crappy, and can't really take great shots.
- Fast focusing is quite important to me.
- Budget is not really an issue, but hopefully within 1k range. Please feel free to recommend anything though.
- I like to take pictures of my LoveBirds at home.
- I'm looking for close to mid zoom lens.

Since they're caged, I'm looking to get a lens between the 15mm-75mm zone.
I've been recommended these lens from a fellow friend:
1) Tamron 28-75mm ($600+)
- I found the focus kind of slow.
2) Nikon 24-70mm ($2.4K+)
- Never tried, but reviews are fantastic.

And from another site:
1) Nikon AF S 50 mm F/1.4G
2) 150mm F2.8 EX APO DG HSM Macro

Any other recommendations?
I've also heard that my D5000 does not justify such a good lens (Nikon 24-70mm)
Is that true or simply gibberish?

Please recommend what I should get within the $1k range too!

Thanks for your help!

Hmm.. If you prefer zoom lenses, I suggest the nikon 16-85mm. If you don't
Mind prime, a 50mm should suffice. Wait for the new afs 50mm f1.8.

d5000 is a DX camera. why the 24-70 will not be justifiable to couple with a DX camera because u will lose the wide end due to the crop factor. this range can be seriously limiting to DX users out there, that's why nikon made an af-s 17-55 f/2.8 DX only lens for DX bodies. this also applies to the tamron 28-75mm.

for zoom lenses, since ur budget is only $1k, i suggest u to take a look at the af-s 16-85 f/3.5-5.6G DX lens first. it's a sharp lens for its price and fits ur requirements. if u want cheaper, u can also consider af-s 18-105 f/3.5-5.6G DX lens as well.

if u r into prime lenses, u can choose to wait for the new af-s 50 f/1.8G lens which has just been announced not long ago to reach SG. alternatively, u can also look at af-s 35 f/1.8G DX lens.

d5000 is a DX camera. why the 24-70 will not be justifiable to couple with a DX camera because u will lose the wide end due to the crop factor. this range can be seriously limiting to DX users out there, that's why nikon made an af-s 17-55 f/2.8 DX only lens for DX bodies. this also applies to the tamron 28-75mm.

for zoom lenses, since ur budget is only $1k, i suggest u to take a look at the af-s 16-85 f/3.5-5.6G DX lens first. it's a sharp lens for its price and fits ur requirements. if u want cheaper, u can also consider af-s 18-105 f/3.5-5.6G DX lens as well.

if u r into prime lenses, u can choose to wait for the new af-s 50 f/1.8G lens which has just been announced not long ago to reach SG. alternatively, u can also look at af-s 35 f/1.8G DX lens.

I heard that japan will start selling on the 2nd of june and 16june in U.S. Probably Singapore 20th june?

I heard that japan will start selling on the 2nd of june and 16june in U.S. Probably Singapore 20th june?

I guess so. If nt, I feel the latest for them to arrive sg will either be around the end of june or start of july.

TS u can try the sigma 17-50 OS DC HSM. Said to be fast too
Forget about the tamron 17-50, it wont be fast enough for u.

But from ur needs, i will recco the 16-85 though.

If you are looking to replace your kit lens, I am willing to bet that you won't like to replace it with a prime lens as you tend to lose the versatility of a zoom lens.

If you prefer to stick to a budget of about S$1,000, you may consider Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR. It is a good lens that suits your budget and probably your needs. There are also alternatives offered by Tamron and Sigma. You can check them out if you wish.

Of course, if you have the cash and don't mind the bulk, the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED is arguably the best zoom lens in this range.

If you are looking to replace your kit lens, I am willing to bet that you won't like to replace it with a prime lens as you tend to lose the versatility of a zoom lens.

If you prefer to stick to a budget of about S$1,000, you may consider Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR. It is a good lens that suits your budget and probably your needs. There are also alternatives offered by Tamron and Sigma. You can check them out if you wish.

Of course, if you have the cash and don't mind the bulk, the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED is arguably the best zoom lens in this range.

"If you are looking to replace your kit lens, I am willing to bet that you won't like to replace it with a prime lens as you tend to lose the versatility of a zoom lens."
I'll have to agree with this.

Also, I've read reviews on Ken Rockwell stating that the optics of the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR is the same as the kit lens?
Quote:
"The 16-85mm is also very expensive: about $650. For $650 you're buying great optical performance, but mostly paying for convenience. Honestly, Nikon's 18-55mm kit lens ($120) has the same quality optics, but without most of the convenience features of the 16-85mm. I'm not kidding: I've compared them directly against each other."

Also, will getting a FX lens pull down optics on a DX camera?
I will definitely be upgrading to a FX camera, and I want to use it to it's full capabilities. If I get a DX lens now, it'll be useless when I use a FX camera.

Note: I'm not limited to 1k. Hopefully within 1-2k range, any more recommendations?

Thanks for all the replies btw, I appreciate it.

Foress said:
"If you are looking to replace your kit lens, I am willing to bet that you won't like to replace it with a prime lens as you tend to lose the versatility of a zoom lens."
I'll have to agree with this.

Also, I've read reviews on Ken Rockwell stating that the optics of the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR is the same as the kit lens?
Quote:
"The 16-85mm is also very expensive: about $650. For $650 you're buying great optical performance, but mostly paying for convenience. Honestly, Nikon's 18-55mm kit lens ($120) has the same quality optics, but without most of the convenience features of the 16-85mm. I'm not kidding: I've compared them directly against each other."

Also, will getting a FX lens pull down optics on a DX camera?
I will definitely be upgrading to a FX camera, and I want to use it to it's full capabilities. If I get a DX lens now, it'll be useless when I use a FX camera.

Note: I'm not limited to 1k. Hopefully within 1-2k range, any more recommendations?

Thanks for all the replies btw, I appreciate it.

i wouldnt be totally believing ken rockwell's words if i were u and take them with a pinch of salt. no doubt the IQ is almost similar with the 16-85 performing slightly better than the 18-55, the AF is also slightly faster on 16-85 as compared to the kit 18-55 lens. furthermore the build of the 16-85 is more solid than the 18-55, plus the front element does not even rotate, making it gd for those who wish to use CPL filter on this lens.

i dun get wad u mean by "will getting a FX lens pull down optics on a DX camera?", but DX bodies will enjoy the sweet spot advantage, since the sensor is smaller than the image circle of the lens, thus only getting pictures from the center portion of the image circle. the center portion of the image circle is where the image appears the sharpest on a full frame sensor. as a result, u will have better border quality with less vignetting. hope this answers ur question.

now that u said u will be upgrading to FX in future, then the 16-85 will not be ideal for u. save up for the AF-S 24-70 f/2.8 then, since the price of it is beyond ur current budget. if not, if u r dying to replace ur kit lens now, u can consider getting the tamron 28-75 f/2.8 or the older AF-S 28-70 f/2.8 (it was discontinued quite long ago, u can only get it 2nd hand). if u dun need the fast f/2.8 aperture, u can also consider AF-S 24-120 f/4 which is also within ur budget now. but do bear in mind tat u will be losing the wide end when u r using DX bodies. this will not be the case anymore when u upgrade to FX.

Last edited:
i wouldnt be totally believing ken rockwell's words if i were u and take them with a pinch of salt. no doubt the IQ is almost similar with the 16-85 performing slightly better than the 18-55, the AF is also slightly faster on 16-85 as compared to the kit 18-55 lens. furthermore the build of the 16-85 is more solid than the 18-55, plus the front element does not even rotate, making it gd for those who wish to use CPL filter on this lens.

i dun get wad u mean by "will getting a FX lens pull down optics on a DX camera?", but DX bodies will enjoy the sweet spot advantage, since the sensor is smaller than the image circle of the lens, thus only getting pictures from the center portion of the image circle. the center portion of the image circle is where the image appears the sharpest on a full frame sensor. as a result, u will have better border quality with less vignetting. hope this answers ur question.

now that u said u will be upgrading to FX in future, then the 16-85 will not be ideal for u. save up for the AF-S 24-70 f/2.8 then, since the price of it is beyond ur current budget. if not, if u r dying to replace ur kit lens now, u can consider getting the tamron 28-75 f/2.8 or the older AF-S 28-70 f/2.8 (it was discontinued quite long ago, u can only get it 2nd hand). if u dun need the fast f/2.8 aperture, u can also consider AF-S 24-120 f/4 which is also within ur budget now. but do bear in mind tat u will be losing the wide end when u r using DX bodies. this will not be the case anymore when u upgrade to FX.

Thanks for the advise!
So you mean that FX lenses will take better shots compared to DX lenses on a DX camera?
What will happen when I use DX lenses on a FX camera next time?

Thanks alot!

Foress said:
Thanks for the advise!
So you mean that FX lenses will take better shots compared to DX lenses on a DX camera?
What will happen when I use DX lenses on a FX camera next time?

Thanks alot!

take better shots in terms of images with better border quality and lower vignetting wise, yes.

if u use DX lenses on a FX camera, the camera will automatically select DX mode n the effective resolution will be reduced significantly as well. even if u continue shooting at FX mode for full resolution, there will be serious vignetting in ur images n u will still haf to crop these black corners away in the end. to put it simply, if the FX camera has a resolution of 12.3 MP like the d700, d3 n d3s, u will only be getting images of resolution equivalent to roughly 6MP only when shooting in DX mode. it's like a total waste of money if u were to buy a FX camera n shoot in DX mode. the only DX lens which can be used on FX cameras with slight vignetting on FX mode is the AF-S 35 f/1.8G.

Last edited:
take better shots in terms of images with better border quality and lower vignetting wise, yes.

if u use DX lenses on a FX camera, the camera will automatically select DX mode n the effective resolution will be reduced significantly as well. even if u continue shooting at FX mode for full resolution, there will be serious vignetting in ur images n u will still haf to crop these black corners away in the end. to put it simply, if the FX camera has a resolution of 12.3 MP like the d700, d3 n d3s, u will only be getting images of resolution equivalent to roughly 6MP only when shooting in DX mode. it's like a total waste of money if u were to buy a FX camera n shoot in DX mode. the only DX lens which can be used on FX cameras with slight vignetting on FX mode is the AF-S 35 f/1.8G.

that is superbly helpful. thanks alot Irvine!

how would the 16-85mm compare against the 18-105mm?

Hello there, just adding my 2-cents :)

I have the D5000 and the Tamron 28-75 F2.8. I have to admit, the AF is a bit slow and not dead-on sometimes but I think its the camera. On my D7000, the Tamron AF just whiz along and is pretty accurate. I used it mostly now when I go to exhibitions eg museums to take pics of objects under low light.

On Ken Rockwell, I read his website too but like Irvine said, take it with a pinch of salt. However, he is honest with his reviews based on his experience, he does not support any brand names. To him, if its crap, its crap and he will tell you its crap.

For your lens needs, I think most of the forumers here already gave you good suggestions. The 16-85 lens is pretty good from what I have read. I would have gotten it but I am quite happy with my 18-105, which cost about half of the price of the 16-85 brand new. For low light, the 35mm F1.8 is also good (and cheap) and its on my D5000 most of the time, unless Im using it for my work, then it would be Tamron.

Anyway, good luck on your search. Keep shooting, the D5000 is a great cam. Cheers!

how would the 16-85mm compare against the 18-105mm?

What are you comparing between the both lenses? Image quality? If image quality wise you will see that both lenses have their strengths and weaknesses at different focal lengths.

both don't go down to F2.8 so not much bokeh quality to talk about although I've seen disastrous bokeh on 16-85. both do not have N lens coating or any better features in one that the other doesn't, and both suffer some image quality degradation due to the zoom range.

FX lenses produce great results on DX bodies, but you won't achieve the same bokeh and image quality you get on a FX. the DX only takes a limited portion of the entire circular image cast of a FX lens.

I used to have the D5000 too. Used the features ttm and had to upgrade. Great camera! Cheers :)

Last edited:
guess I'm only afraid what will happen to the lenses when I upgrade to a FX cam.
pretty much won't touch them often already.
kinda waste money.

Thumb of rule : buy wat u need , not Wat u want. Btw there are many ppl using kit Lens and still get good quality shoot

Thumb of rule : buy wat u need , not Wat u want. Btw there are many ppl using kit Lens and still get good quality shoot

I'm very much aware of that.
These are some shots I've taken with the kit lens:
resize

resize

resize

resize

resize

It's good, but I want better.
Thanks for the input btw

Last edited:
Looks like you're more keen to FX lenses. If you have enough money go for the 24-70mm f2.8, no regrets for sure. You'll never take off this lens when you mounted it for the first time.

Looks like you're more keen to FX lenses. If you have enough money go for the 24-70mm f2.8, no regrets for sure. You'll never take off this lens when you mounted it for the first time.

based on the shots i take, would you recommend me getting the 24-70mm?