Lens recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyham

Nov 4, 2003
Hi everyone, newbie here. Just got myself a G5. Trying to pick more skills and tips from the pros here in this forum.
I have found the G5 to be okay but would like to experiment with certain lenses like telephoto, macro/close up and wide angle etc.
What would be some of the recommended lenses and what would their price range be?

I already have the canon lens adaptor.

THANX

For telephoto/wide angles, use those made for G5 from Canon itself. Closeup/Macro can use 10+ closeup lense from Hoya or a 50mm 1.8 from Canon (with a ring to attach it to the lens adapter).

Thanks. Where would be a good place to get them for a newbie like me? I am afraid of being ripped off as still very much a beginner.

W-con should be around $250+/- 0.7x model and T-con should be around $170+/- 1.75x model. Cathay Photo may have them, but G5 quite an "old" model, so try other shops. Macro lens can be found at Cathay too, competitive price but not sure exactly how much. Give them a call to check out the stock, or an i-quotation.

AP quoting Vitacon 2X tele at $95?

newbie here,got myself a nikon FE10 a few yrs ago...any1 here with the same model? tiking of buying aq telescopic lens(210mm)..any recommendations?

happyham said:
AP quoting Vitacon 2X tele at $95?

forget about the low-quality, low magnification (probably performs as a 1.3x) and image degrading Vitacon 2x.

go for the Olympus TCON 17 1.7x which costs ~$140.

Tks
Will go check it out at Cathay!!

beachboyz27 said:
newbie here,got myself a nikon FE10 a few yrs ago...any1 here with the same model? tiking of buying aq telescopic lens(210mm)..any recommendations?

You might want to consider the 70-150 f3.5 Series E Nikon. It has a constant f3.5 aperture though it might lack a bit in reach. It also has very good reviews when it first came out. Otherwise, you might also want to consider a 180mm f2.8 ED Nikkor, a legendary telephoto lens, or a 200mm f4 Nikkor, which is cheaper but is still optically sound.

note: all the above are MF lenses...

mpenza said:
forget about the low-quality, low magnification (probably performs as a 1.3x) and image degrading Vitacon 2x.

Hi, I noticed a lot of people recommended this T-con, but beware when using it on G3/G5 as it will not give the max zoom range that the original for G3/G5 offers.

justarius said:
You might want to consider the 70-150 f3.5 Series E Nikon. It has a constant f3.5 aperture though it might lack a bit in reach. It also has very good reviews when it first came out. Otherwise, you might also want to consider a 180mm f2.8 ED Nikkor, a legendary telephoto lens, or a 200mm f4 Nikkor, which is cheaper but is still optically sound.

note: all the above are MF lenses...

All these lenses cannot be used on a prosumer digital cameras with a fixed lens.

theITguy said:
Hi, I noticed a lot of people recommended this T-con, but beware when using it on G3/G5 as it will not give the max zoom range that the original for G3/G5 offers.

Give and take I suppose. The Canon one is of course one good alternative, though a bit more costly.

mpenza said:

U sure it's $140?

I thought the Olympus C-210 T-con only costs $40+ ?

AReality said:
U sure it's $140?

I thought the Olympus C-210 T-con only costs $40+ ?

sure, give and take $5 depending on where you buy from. I seldom post prices I'm not sure off :)

C-210, even though it's 1.9x, has a much smaller rear element and result in light loss. It's also much lighter than the TCON17.

Is the TCON17 using the 58mm thread? Was told that the thread is different?

mpenza said:
All these lenses cannot be used on a prosumer digital cameras with a fixed lens.

ah I was replying to beachboyz27's slightly OT query on telephoto lenses to use on his FE-10 and not to happyham's original query. Hope no one tried to fix a 180mm AIS Nikkor onto their G5.... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.