lens recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

xdw3irdxd

Dec 2, 2009
Im using canon 18-55mm IS lens. I would like to upgrade the lens..is there any recommendation? 18-200mm or 70-200mm or??

Do you understand your genre of shooting yet? Otherwise it be hard for us to decide what you need :)

Why would you want to upgrade your lens?

What limitation does it have that restrict you from taking certain photographs?

Got plenty of excessive money to spend?

If you just want an upgrade for your current lens you could get the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. Or if you want to get the telephoto end you could get the Canon 55-250mm IS, its quite value for money.

Im using canon 18-55mm IS lens. I would like to upgrade the lens..is there any recommendation? 18-200mm or 70-200mm or??

Lots of options but really depends on which direction you want to take with your shooting.

But remember one thing: Upgrade Lens does not result in upgrade in picture quality.

I think u have to be more specific, for a newbie, the ef-s 18-55mm is good enough.. the question is wat type of photography u wan to go into fr eg. macros, or u wan take photos of wildlife n nid a telephoto... N give us a budget cos some will recommend expensive lens... hahahaha... imho... heehee..

Do you upgrade for the sake of upgrading? As if the kit lens is limiting u in one sense or the another?.. or do u need that extra reach? or u need sth better for low light shooting blah blah blah. You need to be specific on what do u like to shoot mostly? For us to aid u further dude :)

due to when i always zoom in...the 18-55mm seen like too limit to me...

of course, 18-55 is limited as your focal length is limited. But again, like what the other brothers are saying, it depends on what you want to zoom into. Some people, 135mm is fine, but others will say they need 600mm for birds. It depends on what is your particular subject.

Also, it depends on how deep is your pocket. It is still alright to be walking around with a 400mm L lens, whether silly or not is a personal issue, but question is can you carry it around all day long?

If you are not sure, you can try getting a 2nd hand 55-250 in B&S section so that you can still keep your 18-55.

HTH.

I's also a Newbie so, I try to get as little lens as possible to cover as much of what I want as possible...ok, you can say I'm cheap also...:bsmilie:

I use the 18-55mm as a walk about Lens...its light, cheap & good.

Then I have a 85mm f1.2 for Half Body - Head Shots, indoors & outdoors...if you have a confined space 50mm will be better...

Then I have this Drain Pipe 70-200mm f2.8 for outdoor shots...this enables me to zoom in on my subject at a reasonable & safe distance, like beside a swimming pool...

You might consider this configuration...:cool:

Disclaimer: I'm also a Newbie at this, I'm giving a suggestion, not an advise...:bsmilie:

Last edited:
How often do you want or need to zoom in? What area of photography are you interested in? Then decide from there or else the lens will become a white elephant

How often do you want or need to zoom in? What area of photography are you interested in? Then decide from there or else the lens will become a white elephant

Thats not true, I find the Tele Zoom Lens especially useful beside me when I eat Crabs...:bsmilie:

I'm just Kidding...;)

Thats not true, I find the Tele Zoom Lens especially useful beside me when I eat Crabs...:bsmilie:

I'm just Kidding...;)
Ok, but do you have to point your gun at me? :dunno:...................:bsmilie::bsmilie:

A good combo would be 18-55 + 55-250. Covers a wide range.

However if your prefer an all-in-one package get the 18-200 or the Tamron 18-270

Ok, but do you have to point your gun at me? :dunno:...................:bsmilie::bsmilie:

I'm Sorry, but old habits die hard...
trk4.jpg

I's also a Newbie so, I try to get as little lens as possible to cover as much of what I want as possible...ok, you can say I'm cheap also...:bsmilie:

I use the 18-55mm as a walk about Lens...its light, cheap & good.

Then I have a 85mm f1.2 for Half Body - Head Shots, indoors & outdoors...if you have a confined space 50mm will be better...

Then I have this Drain Pipe 70-200mm f2.8 for outdoor shots...this enables me to zoom in on my subject at a reasonable & safe distance, like beside a swimming pool...

You might consider this configuration...:cool:

Disclaimer: I'm also a Newbie at this, I'm giving a suggestion, not an advise...:bsmilie:
how much did u paid for the 70-200mm?

how much did u paid for the 70-200mm?

If my memory doesn't fail me, it should be ard $2K+...exactly I can't remember off hand, will have to check my reciept.

If you can wait till March...The Mark II Version will be out then...That should be LAGI BEST...

Last edited:
Want to upgrade? Sure! 17-55 IS.

Status
Not open for further replies.