Lens recommendation, please!

quelle

May 3, 2009
Singapore - Tampines
Currently using Canon 500d with kit lens 18-55mm. Looking for another lens to replace but I have a budget of around <$700. Don't mind if it's used though. Doesn't have to limit to only Canon brand, I will consider third party brands too.

The lens is just for general purpose. Doesn't have to be very fast or top notch quality but at least better than the current kit lens. I feel kinda limited by the zoom range, so a tad more zoom will be good.

Not in favour of changing lens so will be only looking an all-purpose lens. :)

You could try a tammy 17-50mm f2.8, although i personally prefer to stick with canon.
If you need more zoom, y not get a 55-250mm? Quite decent quality for the price you pay with 4 stops IS.

Currently using Canon 500d with kit lens 18-55mm. Looking for another lens to replace but I have a budget of around <$700. Don't mind if it's used though. Doesn't have to limit to only Canon brand, I will consider third party brands too.

The lens is just for general purpose. Doesn't have to be very fast or top notch quality but at least better than the current kit lens. I feel kinda limited by the zoom range, so a tad more zoom will be good.

You should ask yourself what you want to shoot before you invest in a new lens, for general purpose just use your kit lens. See what you really need for your preferred area of photography then you decide on a lens base on that. This will reduced your chance of buying a white elephant.

Sell 18-55, buy 18-135 + flash. Should be good enough for general purpose.

Sell 18-55, buy 18-135 + flash. Should be good enough for general purpose.

Yes I think so too. Unforunately the 18-55 isn't worth much on the resale market but it's good enough to buy a nissin di662 flash after selling it.

tammy 17-50 for me.

Yes I think so too. Unforunately the 18-55 isn't worth much on the resale market but it's good enough to buy a nissin di662 flash after selling it.

Not sure about you guys...18-55mm as a kit lens performs admirably for me so long as you don't pixel peep. Adding a 55-250mm sounds like a good investment but seriously how often do you use the 250mm end of the lens without encountering camera shake.

In the long term, you'll find that majority of the photos taken are usually within the range of 12mm-35mm so getting a UWA may be a better idea. :cool:

Yeah I agree with you but UWA lenses ar quite expensive and it's out of TS's budget. Unless he would be able to find a cheap one in the B&S section!

TS mentioned that he feels limited by the zoom range of the 18-55, I don't see how a 17-50 addresses his concerns. :dunno:

TS - You might want to check out the 18-135. Or maybe even a 18-200 if you increase your budget marginally...

Last edited:
In that case, maybe he can find a 2nd hand 70-200F4L in the B&S section which would cost around $800 and keep your kit lens....just add a $100 more from your current budget.:thumbsup:

Honestly the 18-55 is a magical lens... just that some people don't know how to appreciate it..

TS i would suggest you hold on to the 18-55... what kinda photography do you shoot that you feel the range is limiting you??

unless you are really into birding, wildlife.. then you really don't need the zoom that much... most of the time photos are taken at the 18-55 range.. and if you need to zoom then just move forward.. don't become to reliant on zoom.. (most people who do, is becos they are used to the zoom on PnS)

a photographer should not have his feet glued to the ground.. moving around lets u explore angles and views...

if you think that your zoom range is limited, you can always consider ef-s 17-85... however i would advise you for your budget, it will be better if you can get tamron 17-50...

depends on user style and preference. personally my 70-300 is my primary lens.

TS has stated that the lens need not be fast or top notch quality,all he wan is more zoom..
So i dun tink tamron 17-50 address the more zoom issue. Perharps a 18-135 or 18-200mm is more appropriate.

TS has stated that the lens need not be fast or top notch quality,all he wan is more zoom..
So i dun tink tamron 17-50 address the more zoom issue. Perharps a 18-135 or 18-200mm is more appropriate.

Seriously guys...wanting a zoom lens because 18-55mm is limiting is very vague in conveying a need. If TS wants a zoom then get the biggest zoom based on budget. No point asking in the forum and everyone give different answer.

To let us give a more objective answer, TS should at least mention what he intends to shoot that is limiting. Birding could be one but I doubt anything less than 500mm is satisfactory. F1 or football? Maybe try 400mm. I think all of our answers are just second guessing cos we don't know what he wants. :cool:

To let us give a more objective answer, TS should at least mention what he intends to shoot that is limiting. Birding could be one but I doubt anything less than 500mm is satisfactory. F1 or football? Maybe try 400mm. I think all of our answers are just second guessing cos we don't know what he wants. :cool:

exactly.. will TS please clarify.. thnks

:confused:

Hi all, firstly, I'm not a he. Lol.
I've tried using a Canon 18-200mm for a day and it does feel a little too big and heavy for me as I am very petite and have small hands.

I enjoy shooting animals so usually, I shoot photos of my pet cat, cats in the neighbourhood and scenery when I go travelling. Cats are generally quite lazy thus not very active unless they are kittens but 18-55mm will be insufficient if I want to shoot stray cats because most of them will run away if a person approach near.
Note, I don't use flash if I shoot animals because they'll feel shock by the sudden light or the photo will show them with their eyes closed, which is not very nice.

I have considered Canon 18-135mm which is definitely within my budget but some forums state that the 18-55mm has even better image quality than it, perhaps due to the compromise for the zoom. But if I get that, it seems like a downgrade for me. Any user of 18-135mm willing to share their experience? :)

I've tried using a Canon 18-200mm for a day and it does feel a little too big and heavy for me as I am very petite and have small hands.

I enjoy shooting animals so usually, I shoot photos of my pet cat, cats in the neighbourhood and scenery when I go travelling. Cats are generally quite lazy thus not very active unless they are kittens but 18-55mm will be insufficient if I want to shoot stray cats because most of them will run away if a person approach near.
Note, I don't use flash if I shoot animals because they'll feel shock by the sudden light or the photo will show them with their eyes closed, which is not very nice.

I have considered Canon 18-135mm which is definitely within my budget but some forums state that the 18-55mm has even better image quality than it, perhaps due to the compromise for the zoom. But if I get that, it seems like a downgrade for me. Any user of 18-135mm willing to share their experience? :)

I know a petite lady, who lug a range of primes around shooting... so I think it is not too heavy... maybe you are just not used to the weight yet.....

I think maybe you like to consider a telephoto zoom to shoot animals in future???

For now, I will advice you to save up and get a good lens...... I suspect you need something from 17/8-85mm...... One of the better lens in this range would be the EF-S 15-85mm..... and I think this can be a pretty good all in one lens for you... and also, light..... Price wise, it is a bit over..... maybe you like to try that one and consider if you want to save for it....

Oops...sorry typo error. I meant she but somehow the "s" didn't appear. :bsmilie:

My granddaughter is also into shooting cats and dogs. She's 15 and only 1.54m tall so a big DSLR is a no no.

At 135mm end of the zoom, you might not get the reach you are looking for. Look for a Tamaron. It's lighter and may be within your budget. And get a 18-200mm for that extra reach without the excess weight. :cool:

Oops...sorry typo error. I meant she but somehow the "s" didn't appear. :bsmilie:

My granddaughter is also into shooting cats and dogs. She's 15 and only 1.54m tall so a big DSLR is a no no.

At 135mm end of the zoom, you might not get the reach you are looking for. Look for a Tamaron. It's lighter and may be within your budget. And get a 18-200mm for that extra reach without the excess weight. :cool:

Well, I'm older than your granddaughter but I'm still evem shorter than her. :sweat:
So, sizes of lens are very important to me. Weight, I may still able to compromise abit.

A salesman has recommended me Tamron 18-200mm before but it doesn't have image stabilizer so I'm pretty skeptical about its performance as compared to my kit lens since I'm hoping to find a lens that gives better image quality. =X