Lens recommendation! for Canon 70D

hyori

Mar 14, 2007
Just purchased a 70D and now I am looking for a Wide lens and a portrait lens

Looking at Canon 100mm F2.8 Lens.. Can I know the main diff for the one without L and with L? does it justify the cost?

Also planning to get a wide lens for landscape.. can anyone recommend something less than 1500?

For APS-C sensor on 70D, 100mm could be a little long. I dont like that kind of working distance personally. I would go for 50mm f1.4 or 24-70 f2.8 instead. For wide-angle, it depends on whether you are going for wide or ultra wide. For the latter, i would prob go for EF-S 10-22.

Hi Chill bomber.. I am actually looking to try Street Potrait .. so perhaps something longer will fit... Am actually planning to go bangkok to take picture of the grand palace

Hi Chill bomber.. I am actually looking to try Street Potrait .. so perhaps something longer will fit... Am actually planning to go bangkok to take picture of the grand palace

I would always recommend the 18-135mm lens. It is a fabulous lens and cover the entire range that is normally needed. I would not jump into using prime lenses unless you are sure of what u are doing.

When in doubt rent first

15-85, wide enough & feel it has gd range for general use.
Else the kit lens (18-135 etc) will be gd start.

35mm primes. You can't go wrong with that for street portrait.

It depends on the style of the photographer. Some like wider focal length, while some like tighter composition with tele etc.

I assume that TS still has a 50mm f/1.8 and 18-55mm kit lens as pre his signature. If you are not looking to replace these lenses, then I would suggest that for UWA, you can try either Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 or Canon EF-S 10-22mm. As for portrait lens, I would suggest the 85mm f/1.8 instead of the 100mm f/2.8. It's small, focus fast, gives a nice bokeh, and to me, an easier focal length to work with for streets photography. It's relatively cheap as well.

TS indicated that he would prefer a longer lens to keep a certain distance to the subjects.

To keep a distance from subject in street portait, 70-200 f4 is a nice lens. Light n sharp. However, if you wana have a wider perspective, a 24-105 will fit better.

Cost here,is not taken into consideration. Please dont flame me.

Grand palace, a Tokina 11-16 will be very suitable as you go indoors and wana capture the halls.

Also,i will rent first,as a senior mentioned.

Thanks all! i have purchase my Tokina 11-16mm Lens :) Next can you all give me suggestion on which lens below for 70D ? ... Looking at Canon 17-55mm F2.8 , 24- 70 Sigma or Tamron 28 - 75? I need a Telephoto lens with at least f2.8

Thanks all! i have purchase my Tokina 11-16mm Lens :) Next can you all give me suggestion on which lens below for 70D ? ... Looking at Canon 17-55mm F2.8 , 24- 70 Sigma or Tamron 28 - 75? I need a Telephoto lens with at least f2.8

My friend... 17-55mm and 24-70/ 28-75mm lens are of quite a big different focal range. Asking this question really make me wonder if you know what you are doing.

So to make things easy for you... go and rent a 18-135mm lens, play around with it for a while to get to know what type of focal range are you more interested in, then get the closest one.

As for Sigma 24-70mm and Tamron 28-75mm... both are excellent lens. Do check out the latest 24-105mm from Sigma too... and the Tamron 24-70 VC lens. If in doubt, go and rent them and have a try.