Lens recommendation for 400D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Showa

Dec 6, 2008
Hi all, need some advice on what lens to get. I just got my 400D probably about a month ago, been loving the kit lens ever since. So would wish to get another lens to try out and add to the collection.

I'm like taking portraits and landscape photos, maybe some bokeh here and there. Looking for 3rd party lenses like Tamron/Sigma but not sure which lens is suitable for me. Any recommendations for a "walkabout lens" that will suit my needs?

Thank you all in advance! :)

Which shortfalls have you noticed on your kit lens that you hope to overcome with a different lens? Do you want to replace the kit lens or do you want to extend the focal range? If you just want to try out then renting a lens could be a better option. In addition, there are plenty of reviews on dpreview.com and photozone.de.

what is ur budget? :devil:

Which shortfalls have you noticed on your kit lens that you hope to overcome with a different lens? Do you want to replace the kit lens or do you want to extend the focal range? If you just want to try out then renting a lens could be a better option. In addition, there are plenty of reviews on dpreview.com and photozone.de.

hmm at the moment i feel that there's no shortfalls, was just hoping to get another lens to complement this kit lens that i have..

what is ur budget? :devil:

budget probably 200-300 for those 3rd party lens? just wanna try one out..

With your budget, best to get a 50 1.8 and a uv filter first, keep the rest for future investment.

With your budget, best to get a 50 1.8 and a uv filter first, keep the rest for future investment.

Hi, pardon me if my question sounds shallow. What difference does a 50 1.8 have over the kit lens i'm currently using right now? the 18-55 3.5-5.6 IIRC..

50 1.8 is a much more sharper lens compared to kit lens. you know those pictures that have a focused object and the background is clear? 50 1.8 will create better bokeh and sharper in a way. It is best for portrait. I currently own a 400d, kit lens, 50 1.8 and a 75-300mm. i use the kit lens for landscape, 50 1.8 for portraits (lovely) and 75-300 for sports photography =)

hope this helps =)

when i just started out with my 400D, the kit lens serve me pretty well for portrait and landscape... so i'm pretty sure you can use it for a little while longer ;)

like the previous few posters mentioned, at SGD200-300, probably u can get the 50mm f/1.8 1st. A used copy cost about ~SGD100... sharp (esp around 2.2!) and pretty good bokeh. I have been using it for abt half a yr now... still loving it ;)

Hi, pardon me if my question sounds shallow. What difference does a 50 1.8 have over the kit lens i'm currently using right now? the 18-55 3.5-5.6 IIRC..

Look at the numbers, check the Canon lens line-up: http://www.canon.com.sg/section/digitalcameras/eflenselineup/index.jsp
A lens with a single focal length ("prime lens") has a higher optical quality than a lens with variable focal length ("zoom"). The maximum aperture obviously is larger, offering the composition effects of a shallow Depth of Field. Your kit lens has smaller aperture that will also change when zooming.
For prices check the Canon equipment thread, they maintain a price list for many lenses.

Last edited:
hmm at the moment i feel that there's no shortfalls, was just hoping to get another lens to complement this kit lens that i have..

budget probably 200-300 for those 3rd party lens? just wanna try one out..

with ur budget perhaps u can consider getting this:

Canon 50mm F1.8 - $120 :think:

2hand Tamron 70-300 - $180

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.