Status
Not open for further replies.

StrifeYun

Nov 15, 2006
Rivervale Drive
i was taking a pic wif my 350d using the kit lens of a scenery wif the moon

wana ask u gurus how do i take a pic to show everything clearly,
cause the background is clear but the moon is blur :x

my settings is .......... 0.5" .... 5.6.... AF (hee)

hmmm y i try MF always not clear wan .... my eyesight ? :p

What is the focal length used ? It would be better to show us the photo.

for such shots, it prob would be better to use a smaller aperture and set hyperfocal on the lens rather than using AF. works pretty well for me, but could be a little difficult if your lens does not have a distance scale.
Use the following URL to determine your depth of field.
http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Hi,

I did what you did a few days back. I found thattThe blurness of the moon is caused by overexposure. You could try shooting at higher shutter speeds, but your scenery will be compromised (become underexposed).
Maybe you should think of photoshopping... :)

yup... have to remember that the moon is constantly rising. so shooting at 0.5", the moon have risen a bit. that may explain the blurness in the moon.

yup... have to remember that the moon is constantly rising. so shooting at 0.5", the moon have risen a bit. that may explain the blurness in the moon.

Good point to note.:thumbsup:

i think that the problem caused would be over exposure from the moon. the moon is a lot brighter than the rest of the night scenary.
in this case, u can try adding a grad ND filter...

Good point to note.:thumbsup:
0.5" will not make much of a difference unless you are using >400mm. The blur is actually due to the blooming caused by overexposure.

i tried taking a shot of the moon yesterday.

1/50s shutter speed
f/22 aperture
85mm focal length
iso 100
tripod

quite sharp except image of it is super small. using a telephoto help heaps.

i also learnt that for night landscape shoots, use manual and set aperture very small for sharpness. even at f/16, i could not have sharp shots. i had to test a lot of settings. :embrass:

hmmm

thanks guys .... so cannot be avoided when using a lens kit hor :p (350d lens kit)

now waiting for my t-ring from usa to come hehe
will take some pics wif mi telescope c hows the results.

fyi : think moon moves at 15 digrees per hour :p

fyi : today is FULL moon !! weeee :)

will up my scenery pic 2nite

hmmm

thanks guys .... so cannot be avoided when using a lens kit hor :p (350d lens kit)

now waiting for my t-ring from usa to come hehe
will take some pics wif mi telescope c hows the results.

fyi : think moon moves at 15 digrees per hour :p

fyi : today is FULL moon !! weeee :)

will up my scenery pic 2nite
Full moon not nice to shoot.. Too bright and not much details. Half moon better because the light comes at an angle, accentuating the ridges etc.

Here is a 50% crop, not very sharp moon image shot through a Nexstar5 scope.
moonc5d2x-halfcrop.jpg

Full moon not nice to shoot.. Too bright and not much details. Half moon better because the light comes at an angle, accentuating the ridges etc.

Here is a 50% crop, not very sharp moon image shot through a Nexstar5 scope.
moonc5d2x-halfcrop.jpg

wah.... mi waiting for mi t-ring den use mi apex 90mm :p & bushell voyeger 60mm try c how hehe

StrifeYun,

Where were you shooting from? Office? Home? ...:think:

could also be some clouds obstructing the moon..

hm .. use my eye c no clould ...hmmmm

got which lens can take better results ? hehe

hm .. use my eye c no clould ...hmmmm

got which lens can take better results ? hehe
I think might be some clouds too. Looks like there's something around the moon. Still the moon is definitely overexposed.

Your photo shows that the moon is definitely overexposed and buildings are underexposed. There is no way you can have both the buildings and moon in same exposure except mulitple exposures or photoshoped with different exposured.

Hmmm, maybe you need flash to freeze the moon :think: :bsmilie: .

Yes, it is difficult even with film camera to capture moon in wide angle scenery. It is always overblown if you want to capture the scenery detail. And the moon is always too small in the scenery to make it looks good. It might better to exclude moon on night scenery.

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.