Lens Qn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klose

Feb 15, 2005
Is a 28-210mm sufficient to do most shots or I need to get a macro lens too?

Klose said:
Is a 28-210mm sufficient to do most shots or I need to get a macro lens too?

Most lenses with this range does not have enough contrast, it vignett a lot. Most .... other then the Canon 28-300 DO lens ....... a lens to drool on ......

blurblock said:
Most lenses with this range does not have enough contrast, it vignett a lot. Most .... other then the Canon 28-300 DO lens ....... a lens to drool on ......

so what's the ideal solution? sell my 20-210 and get 2 seperate lenses? a 28-70 and 70-200?

I have a Tamron SP 28-200. Do I use it? Once awhile for travel and need to move fast.
Generally, super zoom show more distortion at wide angle and appear softer at the extreme zoom range. Mid range, f16-4 shd be acceptable. Some may be less contrasty like blurblock have said.

However, I think contrast is only something very much depends on the lab if not anyone who like to use PS can edit it. Same image/film even same lab different day can produce different result. Also a matter of taste.

There is something OT.

Our eyes interpret color differently. Yr eyes may see red better then mine for example. Very much like our tongue. Some may be more sensitive then another for suger etc. Our eye age and white may became yellow but our brain is able to correct it automatically and therefore we still interpret as white.

So, whether color on a photograph is better then another is a subject of individual or personal preference. It is not a matter of which is correct or wrong. Just like exposure. It is a matter of taste. There is no "correct exposure" but preferences. However, if the exposure is way off then everyone can tell. Our eyes may be more sensitive to light then yours etc. So the intensity of light may be different for 2 pair of eyes.

Composition and element of design is more important.

There are two main items that have been raised here:
1. Coverage
2. Quality

Coverage
Questions to ask yourself:
1. Has the 28-210 served you well so far?
2. Has there ever been a situation where you wished you could zoom to 300 or go as wide as 20? If it happens often, you may want to consider expanding the range that your set of lenses cover.

Quality
1. Are you satisfied with the quality?

Separate lenses does not mean better quality - unless the lenses are actually made that way (e.g. the Canon L series lenses really do have better quality, but can cost 10x as much as normal Canon lenses) - you need to compare the results, and it may be that there's no difference that you can discern (while experienced professionals may be able to spot something). If you yourself can't see the difference, what difference does that really make to you?

I know someone who has an L lens but shoots mainly with his normal lens because it's covers a greater range and it's more convenient to carry just one lens sometimes, and has no issue with the quality for the type of 'casual' shots he's taking.

If you can't get sample shots, then try understanding the lens MTF ( http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/understanding-mtf.shtml ) before making any drastic switch to a set of 'normal' lenses and seeing no real improvement. I think most lens manufacturers have MTF charts on their websites somewhere.

A third item to consider is budget
If you see that you would like to cover a greater range and want the better quality, how much are you willing to spend to get all that? I would love to have nothing but L lenses but even that Canon 28-300 DO IS USM (non-L) lens has a price tag of S$2,590 (check it out: http://www.canon.com.sg/digitalcamera/lenses_specs.html )

Once you've asked yourself some questions, you may be in a better position to judge if you need a different lens.

Cheers.

Caras said:
There are two main items that have been raised here:
1. Coverage
2. Quality

Coverage
1. Has the 28-210 served you well so far?
2. Has there ever been a situation where you wished you could zoom to 300 or go as wide as 20? If it happens often, you may want to consider expanding the range that your set of lenses cover.

Quality
1. Are you satisfied with the quality?

Separate lenses does not mean better quality - unless the lenses are actually made that way (e.g. the Canon L series lenses really do have better quality, but can cost 10x as much as normal Canon lenses) - you need to compare the results, and it may be that there's no difference that you can discern (while experienced professionals may be able to spot something). If you yourself can't see the difference, what difference does that really make to you?

I know someone who has an L lens but shoots mainly with his normal lens because it's covers a greater range and it's more convenient to carry just one lens sometimes, and has no issue with the quality for the type of 'casual' shots he's taking.

If you can't get sample shots, then try understanding the lens MTF ( http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/understanding-mtf.shtml ) before making any drastic switch to a set of 'normal' lenses and seeing no real improvement. I think most lens manufacturers have MTF charts on their websites somewhere.

A third item to consider is budget
If you see that you would like to cover a greater range and want the better quality, how much are you willing to spend to get all that? I would love to have nothing but L lenses but even that Canon 28-300 DO IS USM (non-L) lens has a price tag of S$2,590 (check it out: http://www.canon.com.sg/digitalcamera/lenses_specs.html )

Once you've asked yourself some questions, you may be in a better position to judge if you need a different lens.

Cheers.

Thanks for the advise. Guess I dont really need to change then. BTW, can the special cloth which ppl wipe pda screens before sticking on the screen protector be used to clean lenses?

Klose said:
so what's the ideal solution? sell my 20-210 and get 2 seperate lenses? a 28-70 and 70-200?

Personally, I would review my own habit .... do I take long range more, or do I take short range more. Essentially, I would find the answer.

So, do you take long range shot more or short range shot more?

BTW, spliting up the lens does not mean it would be more expensive :D ..... there are cheap lenses that provide good results.

blurblock said:
So, do you take long range shot more or short range shot more?

I would say 30% - 70% more close range ones :)

Klose said:
Thanks for the advise. Guess I dont really need to change then.

Glad to be have been able to help you help yourself :) Well, ask yourself those questions and others once in awhile and if you feel the need to change. One day, you may find that there's a real need to change (and that applies to camera bodies too ;) )

Klose said:
BTW, can the special cloth which ppl wipe pda screens before sticking on the screen protector be used to clean lenses?

'Special cloth' is kinda ambiguous... not sure which you mean exactly... but what I usually use is http://gallery.clubsnap.com/data/500/16726lens_cleaning.jpg
Cloth for cleaning filters, lens pen for cleaning lenses (which don't need so much cleaning since it's protected by the filter. What the cloth can't handle, the lens pen usually does)

Klose said:
I would say 30% - 70% more close range ones :)

I would get a 28-70 f/2.8 (Something inexpensive, like the Tokina). Then try to take the pictures with that range. Keep the 28-200 for backup use, or just as a travel lens. If you want, you can test the pictures taken with 28-70 vs 28-200 over the same range and f/stop. Then you can decide if you want a travel lens or a shorter one.

Basically, you would not need to buy 1 straight away. Just borrow one from your friends who had the similar system as yours, then you decide.

Caras said:
Glad to be have been able to help you help yourself :) Well, ask yourself those questions and others once in awhile and if you feel the need to change. One day, you may find that there's a real need to change (and that applies to camera bodies too ;) )

'Special cloth' is kinda ambiguous... not sure which you mean exactly... but what I usually use is http://gallery.clubsnap.com/data/500/16726lens_cleaning.jpg
Cloth for cleaning filters, lens pen for cleaning lenses (which don't need so much cleaning since it's protected by the filter. What the cloth can't handle, the lens pen usually does)

:think: hmm how about the Steinzeiser lens cleaning kit from eastgear. Good enough to be paired with the lens pen? btw where can i get the lens pen from?

Klose said:
:think: hmm how about the Steinzeiser lens cleaning kit from eastgear. Good enough to be paired with the lens pen? btw where can i get the lens pen from?

hi, yr lens is a good walk about lens...for marcos, u need to get a true marco lens...which gives the size 1:1 ......

for yr lens pen, it cost $10 to $12.. never spend more then that...i brought from CP ,i think $10...

cheers....

Klose said:

Well, it is a lens cleaning kit, so that works :)
As for the lens pen, just about any camera shop, I would think. Got that particular set at Carrefour at Suntec (for under $10 if I remember right). Though I'm still using a much older one due for retirement..

Caras said:
Well, it is a lens cleaning kit, so that works :)
As for the lens pen, just about any camera shop, I would think. Got that particular set at Carrefour at Suntec (for under $10 if I remember right). Though I'm still using a much older one due for retirement..

btw carrefour also sells digicabis right?

Yes.
and reasonably priced too. they also have an interesting dry box.. ;p

Caras said:
Yes.
and reasonably priced too. they also have an interesting dry box.. ;p

Do you mean the drybox with the analog meter? ;)

Klose said:
Do you mean the drybox with the analog meter? ;)

Last time I saw one there, it was one that had lots of curves (what made it interesting), and yes, it has the hygrometer as well :)

Caras said:
Last time I saw one there, it was one that had lots of curves (what made it interesting), and yes, it has the hygrometer as well :)

Thanks for your help :D think i will pop by carrefour on sat evening before going out with my friends

You can also get a pretty decent drybox with hygrometer for 19.90 at Kodak outlets (am using that for my DSLR).

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.