Lens Protector?

afiyy

Jul 19, 2010
I just started too few months back and still on the verge of learning .

So yeah my friend advice me to get this lens protector or something . I don't know what is being called is to protect your lens from sunlight and such .

What is being called anyway ? Theres UV and Normal is it ?

it's a filter actually. help youself on the search function above to learn more on filters. or simply google it. different types of filter serves different purpose;)

oh it is called a filter ? alright thanks .

Len Filter ?

LenS filter, you mean?

No such word in English (len).

To the TS, a UV filter is sufficient, but please do not buy cheap $10 ones, you can buy Hoya or Kenko, but do not, different grades even by such manufacturers. Something in the range of $25 to $50 should suffice.

Cheers!

that means all filters is compatible for any brands of DSLR ?
kenko uv filter 55mm

that means all filters is compatible for any brands of DSLR ?
kenko uv filter 55mm

filters are made for lenses, not DSLR brands. Specifically, they are made for the thread sizes of your lenses.

So yeah my friend advice me to get this lens protector or something . I don't know what is being called is to protect your lens from sunlight and such.
Isn't photography about capturing sunlight? So why would a lens need any protection from it? :dunno:
Don't get scared by people telling you to protect your camera and by expensive filters. Many cameras and lenses serve in really harsh conditions - and they do well without any protectors. Really reasonable and useful is a lens hood.

I don't know what is being called is to protect your lens from sunlight and such.

It's not meant to protect your lens against sunlight. It's more likely to protect the front element of the lens from physical damage. Some swear by it, some think it's superfluous.

the real LENS PROTECTOR is non other than yourself~!!!!

you take care of your own equipment, they will take care of you... ;)

if by any chance of you not being careful and you manage to physically damage the filter
wont the shattering glass damage your lens?

a nice lens hood is a better protector

is there such thing as using both ? lens hood and filter together .

is there such thing as using both ? lens hood and filter together .

Well, nothing is stopping you from doing that. Like I said, some swear by it, some think it is excessive.

I just started too few months back and still on the verge of learning .

So yeah my friend advice me to get this lens protector or something . I don't know what is being called is to protect your lens from sunlight and such .

What is being called anyway ? Theres UV and Normal is it ?

It's called a Filter. You can try the Marumi , hoya, and kenko. These are not bad. I don't use a lens hood, as I find it troublesome to mount and reverse mount, and I normally don't replace the lens cap till the end of the day. Most of my friends are like that, so a filter is essential, especially when you shoot crowded events such as Formula drift etc, if a person bumps into your lens:bigeyes: at least replacing the filter is cheaper than the glass on the lens itself.

What you need now IMHO should be a UV, UV-Haze or Clear filter, no need to buy polarisers and ND graduated filter yet, these are more "artsy" filters that you will not need now when learning. Slowly you will buy what you need:D take a look at the price guide http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263716 , it may be old but you can give and take $10 to ensure you don't become carrot head..

Last edited:
Hi ,
I'm kind of blur as I'm kind new to this thing so pardon me .

My kit lens is 18-55mm thats means I need to get a filter which is the size of 55mm right ?

UV filter is somehow for a beginner to start off ? Is it ?

How do I attach the filters to the lens ?

just get a uv . . . and it can be threaded in front of your lens easily . . .

when u get it, you will know.
Else get the salesman to show you how . . . :)

Hi ,
I'm kind of blur as I'm kind new to this thing so pardon me .

My kit lens is 18-55mm thats means I need to get a filter which is the size of 55mm right ?

UV filter is somehow for a beginner to start off ? Is it ?

How do I attach the filters to the lens ?

Picking up Scott Kelby's 3 volume books would certainly help you.

Firstly, 18-55mm means the focal length of the lens. If you want to get a filter it is to fit the diameter, not the focal length. Open the lens cap and view it from the front. You should see a symbol with a O and / transposed over each other. That is the universal symbol for diameter.

Since you asked about lens protector, we all recommended you a UV filter. It does not matter if you beginner or not. It depends on situation. I sometimes don't use it when shooting at night.

How to attach? U screw it on to your lens, after removing your lens cap. You need to join outings to learn or go sign up for a photography course.