Lens Protection

ZW1983

May 3, 2010
Hi, i would like to find out how you guys and gals protect your lens body from getting scratches ? using tapes ?

Hi, i would like to find out how you guys and gals protect your lens body from getting scratches ? using tapes ?

you can try gaffer tape.. (dunno can google).. but its not a 100% solution.. plus after awhile the tape usually comes off...

just take care of where you put, how you carry.. especially if you sling and walk around don't bang into doors or lamp posts...
when keep in bag, try to keep ur lens & camera away from other items such as keys etc... then reduce the chances of scratching them lor..

other than that, if you're a careful user shouldn't be getting any scratches.. unless due to accidents..

Er lens body care is really matter of personal awareness. Apart from not dropping them n storing them into bags or dry box when necessary . Can't think of other means.

Lens body aren't like iPad I guess, especially those lens that are well built. Hence quite unlikely to get scratches easily unless we drop them

For lenses that are small in size, try to use gaffer tape to take 'em. However, to tape the lens properly using gaffer tape requires some skills, otherwise you'll end up having it taped in a ugly fashion.

For lenses that are bulky in size, you can consider LensCoat for an easier alternative but at a higher cost.

The most elegant way I've seen is and you have $$$ to spend..you can buy the Lens Coat lens protector to protect your lens:cool: :
http://www.lenscoat.com/nikon-covers-c-1.html
http://www.lenscoat.com/canon-covers-c-2.html

Also available in Cathay Photo for the most popular lenses

Oh dear seems like I still ignorant on alot of things. Keep learning new things everyday cheers :cool:

Lens coat is good but the price is alittle too high, anyone knows of any 3rd party.

personally, i used 2 - 3 layers of mcnett camo form for one of my lens since it's an out of production lens from the 1980s and the most parts of the lens are metal, including the hood
1 layer for my kit lens

Lens coat is good but the price is alittle too high, anyone knows of any 3rd party.

go marketplace see whether anyone got any lobang lor.. lens coat i dunno, but i know got ppl doing gaffer tape service~! :D

For those sitting on the fence regarding using UV filters as lens protection:
Happened this morning....D40 with 35mm f1.8 lens sitting on my desk after cleaning, swiveled my desk chair to get up, and it caught the D40 strap, sending it down to the floor lens pointed down. Fell 30" onto the plastic chair pad over carpet, lens cap flew off, and the filter took the brunt of the impact.
Camera and 35mm lens OK, but the UV did not survive. I going to attempt to post my first pic on this site, but to describe the aftermath.....UV glass shattered, and the threaded portion of the brass ring partially separated from the exterior ring due to the impact. This is B&W's Pro thick brass exterior ring UV/haze 52mm filter, falling only 30".

I will stay with filters with exceptional glass protecting my lenses.

SEO London

woah~! that sounds like a bad fall.. but i'm sure alot of us have heard of such stories of people crashing their cameras onto elevator doors etc...

just be more careful and learn to take good care of ur equipment...