Lens problem...

dieselfire

Jul 30, 2011
hi guys,

My friend recently gave me his old Canon 5D (not Mark II). So I went online to find myself a lens, and after much comparing, decided to get the - Tamron 18-277mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD lens which had gotten pretty good reviews. It says it's "for Canon", so I noobly figured the two are compatible. Then the problem comes...there's no issue mounting the lens, but when I look into the viewer, i see a dark ring around the 4 sides of the images, so my images...not sure how to describe it...look like they're taken through "tunnel vision"?

Is this a matter of wrong lens? or there's something about the setting?

Please help!

Thanks!!

noob

you are using a lens design for crop sensor on a full frame body, the image circle of the lens are not able to cover the whole sensor. in short, this lens is not compatible.

There are lenses for crop body & full frame body. Canon 5D is a full frame camera.

As a newbie, photography can be very bewildering, especially on the technical side.

With dSLRs, the following terms relate to the camera's sensor, or eye.

• Crop sensors (APS-C)
  • Full frames
These basically means the ratio of crop, or in the case of full frame, no crop involved. A crop factor is "related to the ratio of the dimensions of a camera's imaging area compared to a reference format; most often, this term is applied to digital cameras, relative to 35 mm film format as a reference" (referenced from Wikipedia.org).

Canon markets its dSLRS according to this line:

Model Series
Type
Usable Canon Lenses
EOS 1*
EOS 5*
Full frames (with exception of some models being APS-H)EF series
EOS 7dFull frame sensor, but with an APS-C crop factorEF series
EF-S series
EOS xxd
EOS xxxd
APS-C sensorsEF series
EF-S series

As such, whenever you want to buy a lens for your camera, the general advise is to bring your camera along with you to test it, else you'll be kicking yourself for not doing your homework.

Cheers!

I hope the information is helpful, and is as accurate as to my knowledge, and also thanks to Wikipedia.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, a very good lesson learned!! :thumbsup:

Will think about what to do next now...!

As a newbie, photography can be very bewildering, especially on the technical side.

Canon markets its dSLRS according to this line:

Model Series
Type
Usable Canon Lenses
EOS 1*
EOS 5*
Full frames (with exception of some models being APS-H)EF series
EOS 7dFull frame sensor, but with an APS-C crop factorEF series
EF-S series
EOS xxd
EOS xxxd
APS-C sensorsEF series
EF-S series

I hope the information is helpful, and is as accurate as to my knowledge, and also thanks to Wikipedia.

Hi Dingaroo,

Thanks especially for the above! Would just like to check further - does this then mean 7D is able to use lenses meant for both "full frames" and "Crop" sensor cameras? In actual usage, is it an automated process (for body to determine lens type), or are there camera settings that need to be adjusted?

Hi Dingaroo,

Thanks especially for the above! Would just like to check further - does this then mean 7D is able to use lenses meant for both "full frames" and "Crop" sensor cameras? In actual usage, is it an automated process (for body to determine lens type), or are there camera settings that need to be adjusted?

yes 7D is able to use lenses meant for both "full frames" and "Crop" sensor cameras

As a general guide of rule,
"crop" cameras can use all lenses for "full frame" and "crop" lenses
"full frame" cameras cannot use lenses made specifically for "crop" lenses... for Canon it's the EF-S range(eg EF-S 18-200mm) , for Sigma it's the DC range( Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC)

Thanks everyone, a very good lesson learned!! :thumbsup:

Will think about what to do next now...!

Can consider getting a 2nd hand crop body to utilize the 18-270 and a 50mm prime for ur 5D..

yes 7D is able to use lenses meant for both "full frames" and "Crop" sensor cameras

As a general guide of rule,
"crop" cameras can use all lenses for "full frame" and "crop" lenses
"full frame" cameras cannot use lenses made specifically for "crop" lenses... for Canon it's the EF-S range(eg EF-S 18-200mm) , for Sigma it's the DC range( Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC)

Got it! Thanks v much! Appreciate it!

since i didn't spend money on 5D, think will just try to sell it off, top up with some money, and get a 7D!

Read carefully again: 7D has a crop sensor, meaning: the sensor is smaller in terms of physical dimensions (go to www.dpreview.com, check both cameras, read the details about sensor size, it's given in Millimeters). Therefore, the 7D model can use lenses designed for crop sensor and also full frame lenses. The 5D model, being a full frame body, required the respective lenses mandatory. There are no camera settings that would enable a Canon full frame body to make use of lenses designed for crop sensor bodies, period.
Unfortunately, some 3rd party makers are not that clear in their descriptions. Here it helps to read "Designed for Digital DSLR" = "Designed for crop sensor bodies".

dieselfire said:
since i didn't spend money on 5D, think will just try to sell it off, top up with some money, and get a 7D!

If I were you, I would keep the 5D and get another lens..