Lens problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

irorus

May 27, 2008
Hi guys,

I had recently acquired this from a sale. I need someone's help to point me in the right directions how I can take apart this lens and clean it. It looks like it's got fungus?? Sorry I am still on a learning path with cameras.

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

There are a total of 8 screws at the rear lens... just take them out and I'll be on my way??

Should i just run a film thru it first without cleaning it and see if it turns out fine or will it just be a waste of film?

I think that the lens coating has come off.Don't think thats fungus...Correct me if I am wrong.Try taking a photo with it and you can see whether photo is affected.

I don't think it's that easy to dismantle a lens...

Were you aware of this prior to purchasing the lens?

yup.. I'm well aware. Jus thought I might be adventurous n meddle wit it.. But I couldn't find any instructions online.

Mount it and look through viewfinder?

Mounted and looks fine over the viewfinder... still wondering if it'll be a waste of film to try a roll.. :)

aaah thts the mamiya slr in sungei road issit? tht cam looks good man, pity I didnt have enough to get it, the apek quoted 60 for it. how much u got it for man?

eh~~ no. I bought it over from a friend for $50 bucks. :)

ahaks! my bad

U got try wiping it with lens tissue and alcohol? It looks like an oil stain to me.

U got try wiping it with lens tissue and alcohol? It looks like an oil stain to me.

PLEASE DO NOT RUB WITH ALCOHOL.

You never know how aggressive the alcohol will be and what it'll do to your lens + lens coatings.

You never know how aggressive the alcohol will be and what it'll do to your lens + lens coatings.
Alcohol is fine lah! Many lens cleaners contain alcohol, or methanol (last one is toxic though). This particular lens has its lens elements come off from each other, the lens elements are 'kitted' together with a glue like substance, and this material has deteriotated over the years or due to incorrect storage.......the only way to repair it is to dekit it. But if you think it will not affect the image just leave it as it is

HS

hmm?

I'm not sure about that but Nikon lens manuals state that cleaning with alcohol is A-OK :think:

Last edited:

I thought Eclipse solution is largely based on methanol.

Alcohol is just the trivial name for a large group of chemical substances called Alcohol or Alkanol: Methanol, Ethanol, Propanol, Butanol etc. Although chemically they belong to the same group they also have different characteristics. Secondly, most cleaning solutions contain more complicated versions of alcohol. A look at the list of content can help (if all ingredients are fully declared).
But from the various restrictions in shipping it seems that Eclipse contains Methanol or similar, high flammable substances.

hmm?

I'm not sure about that but Nikon lens manuals state that cleaning with alcohol is A-OK :think:

Unless you're very sure what the alcohol cleaning solution is, best not to touch it with any cleaning solution at all. A friend of mine cleaned away his lens coatings, albeit due to ignorance, when he used a cleaning solution that was rather...unheard of.

Unless you're very sure what the alcohol cleaning solution is, best not to touch it with any cleaning solution at all. A friend of mine cleaned away his lens coatings, albeit due to ignorance, when he used a cleaning solution that was rather...unheard of.

of course no cleaning is better than any cleaning given that one has the option to stay clean, which isn't unfortunately an option in real life in general and in this case in particular. My problem here is whether alcohol is bad for lenses per se. *If* it is and *if* eclipse is based on alcohol, that would mean that eclipse is a no-no on lenses. Personally I don't think so. On methanol, Bob Atkins seems to agree:

http://photo.net/digital-camera-shopping-forum/00GGNt

I don't know if any usual alcohol is known to harm the lenses (say, as confirmed by Canon/Nikon), apart from anecdotal evidences. What's the best non-alcoholic solution to clean the lenses?

I reccomend using the diluted Isopropyl alcohol(isopropanol) found in Guardian or Watsons. I heard using vodka works as well but I no guts to test myself. Isopropanol used at full strength might harm plastic lens elements and special glass coating so remember to dilute. Just remember to wet the lens tissue then wipe and not drip alcohol directly onto the lens. Wouldn't want the liquid to seep into the lens body through any small gaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.