Lens prices have risen in HK :(

tsammyc

Apr 7, 2010
Was in HK for a business trip so I wandered to Mongkok to look for a UWA lens. Was targeting the Sigma 8-16mm, but tried all the shops in the guide and it seems to be that Sigma HK is not importing the 8-16mm for Pentax mount yet. Only Canon & Nikon mount are available (yet B&H in NY carries it in Pentax mount). A bit disappointed, but decided to get the Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 instead. Targeted about HK$4,300 after some searching on the internet for Mongkok prices for the lens in 2010. However, when I went down, shops were selling for HK$4,800. Still as it can't be found without special order in Singapore, I bought it from Man Shing and they took Visa. With the stronger S$, it works out to S$840 and got a Sigma filter with it for S$83.

Sorry, but I can't help posting some pictures. From the Man Shing shop where I bought it. Taken with a KX and both at 10mm and high ISO
4993354156_a28f838942_b.jpg

Interesting view of the mirrors in my hotel room
4992748425_ff0538a9dc_b.jpg

Last edited:
HK changed so much. I worked in Kowloon from 90-91. Used to roam Salisbury Road in Jim Tsar Zhou and David Chan's shop (CHAN HONG PHOTO) was my favorite. Spent too much money on Nikon lenses then.

Nice ones.

Pentax M, A lenses prices are shooting thru the roof everywhere in the world. In the US especially. Get one while you can. I highly recommend the M28mm 2.8 and also the M50mm 1.7, two lovely little pan cakes.

Sadly I had both the 50 1.7 and 28 2.8 but threw them away a few years ago due to fungus

I still have the M 28mm 2.8 which I used to take my sister running about when she was 4.

Now she is 30 and getting married soon. Maybe can use to shoot her wedding too. ;)

I still have the M 28mm 2.8 which I used to take my sister running about when she was 4.

Now she is 30 and getting married soon. Maybe can use to shoot her wedding too. ;)

Wow... so romantic - a lens that has lasted 26 years. I think this is the best gift of photography for her! You should

Wow. How old were you then? Must be a very rich kid to own a slr! btw, how much did these M lenses cost during those times ah?

Not too long ago, I acquired those two lenses at very much low cost, one below $100 from evil bay. M series of lenses give constrasty colors, compact and solid build. The only down side is it doesn't have AF, focusing is all manual.

marcus

it's ok, 8-16mm can't use filters, so you were better off not buying it, imho.

The 10-20mm is very sharp, but the 8-16 is apparently tack sharp even more so than the FA ltds at F5.6 and not much more expensive. However, this will do for now and I do have 1-2 stop advantage over the 8-16

i thought the 10-20 f/3.5 version had huge issues with sharpness at the corners?

I've been looking at the Sigma 10 20mm f4-5.6
The 8 16mm seems to be reviewed very well... anyone owns one ? Can comment ?
How much it is in SG, HK ? Its ~US$700 in the US.

8-16mm does help me to cover my AF range from 8-300mm.

i thought the 10-20 f/3.5 version had huge issues with sharpness at the corners?

Yes, but *ALL* the UWAs are unsharp at the corners wide open. Just the lens design. You can see it in the mirror shot of my hotel room above. Look at the carpet in the bottom left hand corner. Its blurry. It disappears when you step down to F5.6 on the 10-20 f/3.5 and is as sharp or sharper than Canons, Nikons etc. Only loses to the 8-16, which is tack sharp like the best primes.

Here is a shot from the HK Hotel Room at F5.6. Corners look sharp enough when pixel peeped (you can download the full resolution from flickr and pixel peek the bottom left hand corner). Unfortunately, the window was tinted and the film reflected a little bit of me.

4998013955_f949a463d4_b.jpg

Last edited:
I've been looking at the Sigma 10 20mm f4-5.6
The 8 16mm seems to be reviewed very well... anyone owns one ? Can comment ?
How much it is in SG, HK ? Its ~US$700 in the US.

8-16mm does help me to cover my AF range from 8-300mm.

The 10-20 f/4-5.6 is cheaper at around HK$3,900 or so when I enquired but its a 5-yr old design. Man Shing had them in Pentax mount. Have not found the 8-16mm orderable in SG from Sigma dealers and none of the HK shops have it in Pentax mount (only have Canon and Nikon Mount for around HK$5,400). The only way I can see is to order the Pentax mount version from B&H in the U.S. They have it in stock.

Watch out for the exchange rates. Has been crazy lately.

Wow. How old were you then? Must be a very rich kid to own a slr! btw, how much did these M lenses cost during those times ah?

The same lens is shown in the Show Your Pentax section..... still going on strong.

was in man shing 3 days ago, bought myself a tammy at 2750 hkd after $50 discount on cash. Wan shing retailing at 3k, been to a few cam shop at tsim sha tsui, almost none carry pentax models.

hi
does it come with HK warranty or International warranty for that price?
i'll be going over next week... hope price will be good...

was in man shing 3 days ago, bought myself a tammy at 2750 hkd after $50 discount on cash. Wan shing retailing at 3k, been to a few cam shop at tsim sha tsui, almost none carry pentax models.

Generally the lenses at Man Shing come with 1 yr international warranty

hi
does it come with HK warranty or International warranty for that price?
i'll be going over next week... hope price will be good...

u can opt for 3 years HK warranty or 1 year International warranty, I opted for international warranty

ok, i guess i will get the international warranty too..

hope the price dont go to high when i'm there next week...

on "Roland"'s HK pricing blog, it was indicated that the tamron 17-50 f2.8 is HKD 2600... but no idea from which shop...