Lens pen to clean sensor and mirrior?

android17

Sep 27, 2009
Hi everyone, just need to seek some advice regarding cleaning of sensors.

I spotted a very obvious dust particle thru my OVF, and after changing lens the particle is still there. So from this is concluded that the dust is probably on my mirror. Took some test shots and it didnt turn up on my pictures thus confirming my guess. HOWEVER I managed to find some dark spots on other parts of the picture (instead of the dust spot of my mirror), thus i think there must be dust inside the sensor as well.

Need to use camera this weekend (Anime Festival Asia! Dont miss this event guys!) so dont think i wanna send my camera for cleaning by Sony (scared that they will take weeks to clean) even though its under warranty so decided to clean myself.

Im thinking of buying a lens pen and try to clean my mirror and dust. Just wondering if anyone has tried using lens pen to do sensor cleaning and whether any side effects?

Thanks.

Last edited:
OMG don't use anything to clean your cam! lol

Well from my experience.. it's not a nice feeling to feel that you scratched something in your cam! I hadto change my focussing screen cause I was itchy to clean it..

If you must.. try using a air blower..

from what ive read, the guides says that the sensor is actually not as delicate as people think they are. Cleaning sensors wont damage it unless u use something not suitable. Sensor swaps and lens pen are mentioned to be pretty common tools used to clean sensors. Im thinking of getting a lens pen to clean, since after this sensor cleaning, I can still use it for general lens cleaning. But just wondering if its an idea tool or should i get a sensor swap instead...

If not for anime fest this weekend, i'll be sending my camera to Sony service centre for cleaning already. But since its so close to the date, i don wanna risk not having a camera for the weekend, so hv to clean myself :(

BTW whats the best method to check for sensor dust indoors? Justnow i check by shooting at the sky, which makes the dark spots very noticeable. For indoors, do i just take a white piece of paper, manual focus and shoot?

Last edited:
well lit room, white wall, small aperture (i.e. f8, f11, f16)

sony normally takes 4 working days to clean camera and lens

don't touch the mirror really

or the focusing screen

i did it on my slr once, now the whole focusing screen is murky :p

I had used lens pen to clean my D300 sensor - using the long brushing stroke per the instruction. It can be done but I would not advocate it unless absolutely necessary (my heart was kind of in my mouth while I was cleaning it). Stubborn dust cannot be removed by blower.

or maybe i should buy a sensor swap, or those static charged brush for cleaning? Would those be better?

I just used blower into sensor chamber, but dust particle still there in my mirror and sensor. I havent tried locking my mirror for blowing sensor yet, was just testing out blowing the mirror only.

Last edited:
sony normally takes 4 working days to clean camera and lens

but no time already :(

AFA is this saturday, even if I send my cam for cleaning tomorrow also cannot make it...

Next week i'll send it for cleaning, but for this weekend's photo shooting hv to depend on self cleaning..

or maybe i should buy a sensor swap, or those static charged brush for cleaning? Would those be better?

lol a sensor swap? just to get a bit of dust off it? :bsmilie:

nothing wrong with touching the mirror and sensor to clean as long as you know what your doing...
if you get a sensor swab to do the sensor there isnt a problem... i got rid of a wadload of dust after hiking in nepal on my old 20d that way.
the mirror you can touch with a cleaning cloth isnt really a problem...
i'd advise you try blowing out any dust with one of those hurricane blower things before touching anything though...

instead of buying something to clean it by yourself, why dun u bring yr cam to a shop to clean it for u?

just pay a little service fee... i'm sure they can do it faster than Sony.

If you're not the type who takes lots/post lots of photos, I suggest you leave the cleaning for the service centre AFTER the event. Just do some cloning/healing in PS. Shouldn't take you more than a few seconds on each photo :thumbsup:

don't touch the mirror really

or the focusing screen

i did it on my slr once, now the whole focusing screen is murky :p

This just happened to me when I tried to clean my KM 5D's focusing screen.:cry:
Is there anyway to fix it now?:embrass:

This just happened to me when I tried to clean my KM 5D's focusing screen.:cry:
Is there anyway to fix it now?:embrass:

Changed the Focusing screen, that's what happen to mine :(

Changed the Focusing screen, that's what happen to mine :(

Thanks, I'll live with it since it's an old cam and thankfully the VF isn't too badly affected
although I can clearly see mild patches.:sweat:

i will not recommend lens pen for sensor cleaning.. the carbon particles may stuck or even damage the sensor. use sensor cleaning swab instead.

BTW sensor cleaning by service center usually takes abt 30 mins to an hr. it can be done within 5 mins if u know what to tell the counter staff. lol... i'm a canon user btw, so i'm referring to CSC.

Hi Guys,

Please refer the below site for information
http://cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

1. Cleaning the sensor with a lenspen is a No No at any time. Instead use their SensorKlear which is designed specifically for the sensors. The Lenspen over time will leave traces of carbon particles which might permanently stick to the sensor. The same applies for focus screen as the surface of the focus screen is usally matte and has more chances of having a carbon deposit

2. Clean the mirror and the focus screen with a normal bulb blower.

3. If the blower method doesn't help, follow this. This is my personal method which I claim no responsibility if something's damaged because of this. Buy a premium quality camel hair paint brush or a high quality nylon bristle brush. Wash it with a shampoo and dry it clean before using. If you want to charge it statically, blow using your Giottos rocket blower or any other bulb blower. I use separate brushes to clean the chamber, mirror, Sensor and the focus screen

Or if you wanna play safe, buy those expensive Artic Butterfly or these sensor brushes from reputed vendors
http://www.thedustpatrol.com/products.html
http://www.copperhillimages.com/

4. If none of those worked, resort to Sensor Swab + E2 or Eclipse.

Ever since I started my own cleaning, I started reusing the swabs of Sensor Swab and replaced the swab with my DIY cut PecPad. Saved so much of visits to NSC and $$ too!

thx for the feedbacks.

I think i will use the sensor swaps thingy in that case. Better to be safe :)

Can anyone give me a rough idea how much it cost, together with the solution? So that with a general idea of the price, i wont kana chop by shops :)