lens or processing effect??

dinokun

Sep 4, 2011
is this lens effect (f1.2) or more of processing?? my fren keep insisting it's the lens but I see it's more like from processing....... can anyone give your comments? seems like the photographer added in a colour tint....i can't get my hands on what colour tint he added

281793_10150264021762105_251614717104_7849293_3981722_n.jpg

In my opinion, background was processed by Gaussian Blur.

Processing.

Because lens blur does not look like that. The trick is to look at the highlights. Post process blur is uniform and smoothly dull. Real optical ens blur at highlights will often have chromatic aberrations and color fringing, and the highlight area 'comes alive' on its own, often taking on the iris shape/aperture shape of the lens, and that shape will vary depending on aperture set, and location on the frame, center of frame more round, edges of frame more oval, and often with starkier contrast at the edges and different highlight areas at different distances/planes will behave differently at varying amount of this effect. A post process blur on the other hand, will be uniform and on a single flat plane of the digital image.

To an untrained eye, you can't tell, but to a bokeh fanatic, it looks cheap. A more 'expensive' post process blur will be the Alien Skin Bokeh filter from Alien Skin, but its damn expensive and what it does its it improve the look of the highlights, but still far far from real optical blur.

is this lens effect (f1.2) or more of processing?? my fren keep insisting it's the lens but I see it's more like from processing....... can anyone give your comments? seems like the photographer added in a colour tint....i can't get my hands on what colour tint he added

281793_10150264021762105_251614717104_7849293_3981722_n.jpg

Processing.

Because lens blur does not look like that. The trick is to look at the highlights. Post process blur is uniform and smoothly dull. Real optical ens blur at highlights will often have chromatic aberrations and color fringing, and the highlight area 'comes alive' on its own, often taking on the iris shape/aperture shape of the lens, and that shape will vary depending on aperture set, and location on the frame, center of frame more round, edges of frame more oval, and often with starkier contrast at the edges and different highlight areas at different distances/planes will behave differently at varying amount of this effect. A post process blur on the other hand, will be uniform and on a single flat plane of the digital image.

To an untrained eye, you can't tell, but to a bokeh fanatic, it looks cheap. A more 'expensive' post process blur will be the Alien Skin Bokeh filter from Alien Skin, but its damn expensive and what it does its it improve the look of the highlights, but still far far from real optical blur.

seems that your are really insightful into the post processing of bokeh effects...

Do you think the photo is good or bad, that is more important if you ask me.

Post process bokeh, real bokeh, who the hell cares, if in the end the photograph is good. That's just my opinion on this thread. But anyways, yes, it looks more like PP blur.

Its very obvious.. PP.

seems that your are really insightful into the post processing of bokeh effects...

Sometime ago I did some comparison/research when I got time and those were my findings. Just sharing with forum...

Also, I don't see a color tint. It looks environmental, i.e. there are some pink neon lights near her giving a slightly pinkish cast.