Lens or BG

Supereded

Sep 16, 2011
im currently using a 550D with sigma 18-250 HSM OS and the 50mm f1.8
was thinking either to save up the money to get a better lens or a bg.
any suggestions?

Hi, if your current setup did not limit your shooting need, you really need not to upgrade.

Itchy pocket? New lenses will not result in better pictures as long you cannot determine where your current setup has it's limits. Upgrade your skills, it's cheaper than getting a new lens.

firstly u can share What is the reason for ur upgrade? aperture cant go lower? or u need better image quality? then we can work on from there =D

BG as in battery grip.
no i dont have an itchy pocket thats why im asking rather than splurging my money randomly.
was thinking of getting a fisheye lens cause i've used one recently and liked the effect. apeture isn't a issue to me atm.

BG as in battery grip.
no i dont have an itchy pocket thats why im asking rather than splurging my money randomly.
was thinking of getting a fisheye lens cause i've used one recently and liked the effect. apeture isn't a issue to me atm.
please use proper term and description in your thread title, refrain using acronym unnecessary, do note this is a forum for discussion, not SMS or instant message chatting.

btw, a fisheye lens is classified as a special purpose lens, not suitable for any type subjects and situations, need to use it with a specific purpose and sparingly,

battery grip will help you if the camera is too small in your hands, or you need using the camera for prolong shooting period,

if you don't have a specific ideal of what you need, or making full use of these items, it is the sign of buy buy buy syndrome.

BG as in battery grip.

Lens or battery grips? That is two totally different group... The first thing is, you need to know what you are shooting... and how will a battery grip help you? Many had said that battery grip would help you in potrait shots and give you a more comfortable hold to the camera... but do remember, battery grip also add to the overall bulk and weigh of the camera... and frankly speaking, if you are not finding that useful... no point getting a battery grip.

And by including a battery grip, will not give you fisheye effect. if you want and like the effect of fisheye lens... get a fisheye lens.

Last edited:
If your current lenses are not limiting your photography, i don't see the need to upgrade.

However, if you feel that getting a fisheye lens will improve your photography, I'd say go for it.
If anything, if getting a new fisheye lens will make you enjoy your photography and make you a happier man, you should definitely go for it.

After all, photography's a hobby that should make one happy.

im currently using a 550D with sigma 18-250 HSM OS and the 50mm f1.8
was thinking either to save up the money to get a better lens or a bg.
any suggestions?

TS. I was thinking that bg means bag....

Even though there are many professional photographers here in this forum......... but we are all not mind-reader here.
What, where, when, how you will be shooting with your equipment??

Then again if u really wana play with a fisheye, try the samyang. u won't regret. i didn't.

Battery grip's all personal preference. i can't live w/o it..my hands are too big and almost two fingers come out when holding without it..it just all falls in place nicely when attached. So yeah..u can decide for urself.

If your current lenses are not limiting your photography, i don't see the need to upgrade.

However, if you feel that getting a fisheye lens will improve your photography, I'd say go for it.
If anything, if getting a new fisheye lens will make you enjoy your photography and make you a happier man, you should definitely go for it.

After all, photography's a hobby that should make one happy.

yes, i agree, current TS only have sigma 18-250 HSM OS and the 50mm f1.8. Even he get a BG, he cannot go and take fisheye photo.

Batt Grip is something good to have but not a must to have it, but without a fisheye lens, TS cannot take any fisheye effect photo.

getting better or another piece of gear will not improve photography,

the skills is the key thing to improve your photography,
skills consist of understanding the principle of photography, knowing how to use and when to use a piece of equipment, and many other things like creativity, sense on colors, composition etc.

thanks for the replies.
i apologize for the use of inappropriate terms .
i understand that a new lens doesn't help to improve photography skills, but at least it allows me to try something different.

I would suggest that try to know everything from a lens then proceed for upgrade. Everything as in till you find that the lens dosent suits ur shooting style anymore or the flaws had set a limitation to your style then you start looking for a new lens.

Borrow or rent a fisheye to see if you are ok with using it. Samyang is manual lens , another thing to consider as not everyone is ok using manual lenses.

I wanted to try fisheye too so I bought a fisheye lens.....one that's attached to my mobile phone for $20 :) . Not sure if I want to be serious in fisheye photos so didn't want to splurge hundreds on a lens I am unsure of so just get a 'toy' to try out.