Lens noise when operating with IS?

canon550d

Dec 4, 2011
Does anyone experience some noise from the lens when half press the shutter for IS lens? It sounds like a humming radio channel but very soft.

That's the IS at work. No worries :) even Nikon and Sigma has it too

Wend to CanonLink at Vivo to try their gears today.
Realised that IS + micromotor is really noisy. Haha.

Sorry, I have another question. I have a EF-S55-250 IS.
When I turn AF on, IS off, the auto focusing is normal and smooth.
When I turn AF & IS on, sometimes the "image" jerks a little from the view finder, when I half press the shutter.
Is this because of the micromotor working in the lens?

I actually went to CanonLink at Vivo to try out the DSLR there, no such "jerking" is felt when using the 60D, 7D of 5D.
But when I use the 600D & 550D (I think the lens was 18-135 or 15-85), the "jerking' is felt.

Slight jerking is OK, it means the IS is at work.

But no such jerking is felt if the lens has USM.

Iirc, the jerking was very slight, perhaps close to none, on my 18-135.

On my 17-55, and 70-200L, I dun recall experiencing any jerking at all.

Advisable to send to CSC to check since still under warranty?

Sorry, I have another question. I have a EF-S55-250 IS.
When I turn AF on, IS off, the auto focusing is normal and smooth.
When I turn AF & IS on, sometimes the "image" jerks a little from the view finder, when I half press the shutter.
Is this because of the micromotor working in the lens?

I actually went to CanonLink at Vivo to try out the DSLR there, no such "jerking" is felt when using the 60D, 7D of 5D.
But when I use the 600D & 550D (I think the lens was 18-135 or 15-85), the "jerking' is felt.

The "jerking" on the 55-250 is normal. And as mentioned by other CSers, it's the IS at work. You just need to reframe abit after the jerking.

Thanks for the advice.
This is first time using Canon lens with IS.
Hope to save money to buy better lens in future. But at the moment, the 55-250 still sufficient for me, image is sharp.