Lens Mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

vincewkl

Apr 10, 2006
Hi,
Can any expert brothers here answer a question of mine
Are lens mount interchangeable?
ie if I have a canon and a nikon camera, can I share the lens by buying 2 mounts?

canon mount lenses will NOT fit on nikon cameras and vice versa. if you wnat to use canon on nikon you will need to buy adapters. but you lose autofocus capabilities and perhaps even metering in some instances

sorry i may not have explained clearly.
I'm thinking of buying a sigma lens, so i'm wondering if i can use it for both my canon and nikon camera interchangeably by buying 2 mounts?

same principle applies. if you buy a sigma lens for canon mount, you cant use for nikon cams unless you use an adapter. and that adapter will cause you the loss of AF

vincewkl said:
sorry i may not have explained clearly.
I'm thinking of buying a sigma lens, so i'm wondering if i can use it for both my canon and nikon camera interchangeably by buying 2 mounts?

You mean using the Adapall mounting system for their MF range?? If so, then you need to get 2 different mounts and then you can use the same lens on both systems via the respective mount.

Does this mean that i can use the lens interchangeably by buying 2 mounts (1 for canon and 1 for nikon).

If a lens can use for both Nikon and Canon mounts, then there wouldn't be anymore specific indication that it's for Canon or Nikon AF mounts.

So for the TS, there's ONLY either for Canon or Nikon mounts and NO universal mounts.

vincewkl said:
Hi,
Can any expert brothers here answer a question of mine
ie if I have a canon and a nikon camera, can I share the lens by buying 2 mounts?

In the old days of 35mm, Tamron had an Adaptall mount for its lenses. You buy one lens and change its mount to fit whatever body brand you had. I do not know if they still have it for the AF lenses.

no

but there's adaptor if u sarcrifice the af..

vincewkl said:
Hi,
Nikon lenses can be used on Canon EOS series body. There is a adaptor available in the market. However AF is of course not possible.

Canon lenses cannot be used on any Nikon body.

lens mount are exclusive to each brand of camera. the size is different and the point for electrical contact is also different. if you have a nikon, you need a NIKON MOUNT lens ( though not necessary nikon lens cos 3rd party like tamron, sigma etc also produce lens w mount for nikon, canon etc.

however, there are ways to 'cheat'. you can get adaptors that will ' change the mount of canon to fit a nikon lens for example. thought the mount does fit, the lens wil not be able to 'communicate' with the camera as the electrical contact will still be different.

tamron used to solve the problem during the Manual focua era by making lens and selling a suitable adaptor mount depending and what camera you have. but when it comes to the AF era, this method wont work anymore cos of the electrical contacts

canon eos mount is larger than the other mounts so it can accept other lens by using an adapter. others cant accept canon lens.
http://singaporephoto.blogspot.com

vincewkl said:
Does this mean that i can use the lens interchangeably by buying 2 mounts (1 for canon and 1 for nikon).

When u buy a thrid party lens, u have to specify which mount you wan it for, canon, nikon, minolta etc
The mount is fixed onto the lens. You cannot change the mount without reconstructing the entire lens. Hence when u say, buying 2 mounts for your 3rd party lens, it effectively means buying 2 lens, one with a canon mount and the other with a nikon mount.
However, if u wan to buy 1 lens and be able to use it for both your canon and nikon camera, u will have to buy an adaptor as what many folks here have been advocating. Of course, u will lost AF.
Which lens to buy will largely depend on which camera u use more often. If u use the canon more often, than it would make more sense to purchase a lens with canon mount and find an adaptor to attach the same lens to your nikon body.

Think someone mention that canon lens cannot be used on Nikon?

Is it true? Thats wat i heard too.

Thx guys for the clear explianation.
I always thought the mounts is an add-on to the lens and works like an adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.