Lens made in japan and made in malaysia

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric29

Nov 8, 2008
i bought my 450d with kit lens 18-55 last oct.i saw the camera made in japan as well as the kit lens made in japan also,then just bought my 50mm 1.8II last week. when i look at it its made in malaysia.is there any difference with the lens that made in malaysia and made in japan?in terms of iq and durabilty,is the lens made in japan more expensive than made in malaysia?

Last edited:
wow so weak.ouchhh.is any body saw here whats their 50mm made in?is most 50mm here in singapore made in malaysia?

i bought my 450d with kit lens 18-55 last oct.i saw the camera made in japan as well as the kit lens made in japan also,then just bought my 50mm 1.8II last week. when i look at it its made in malaysia.is there any difference with the lens that made in malaysia and made in japan?in terms of iq and durabilty,is the lens made in japan more expensive than made in malaysia?

one machine press by japanese

one machine press by malay

wow so weak.ouchhh.is any body saw here whats their 50mm made in?is most 50mm here in singapore made in malaysia?

Don't have to be too worried lah ... just don't bang it, drop it or try to pick your camera up by the 50mm lense can liao.

It really doesn't matter where it's made in, because the design is all the same. Not like Japan one uses metal body and Malaysia one uses plastic.

It's a really nice cheap lense that can give you GREAT photos if you close it down a little....that is, if you can stop worrying about where the lense was made and go out and start enjoying using the lense.

50mm Mk II f/1.8 and the word 'durability' is an oxymoron, no matter where the lense is made. Do use and handle yr 50mm carefully. ;)

IQ wise you won't notice a difference, really. ;)

Cool way of putting it, but wrong use of the word 'oxymoron'. "oxymoron" means contradictory words used sucessively... you're looking for the word synonymous. ;)

In anycase, I was wondering if its because its made in malaysia that the street prices are essentially cheaper than Canon's retail? Or even if the QC differs? I was a bit disappointed to when i saw that my lenses were made in malaysia =(

Anyway it seems like the new kits are all made from malaysia too. My 55-250, which was bought over from a 40D kit, is one of them. Feels like being shortchanged. =(

ya thats what i mean.thats why is it cheap because made in mlaysia and quality different?

just hope the quality is the same and will not make canons reputation bad

Cool way of putting it, but wrong use of the word 'oxymoron'. "oxymoron" means contradictory words used sucessively... you're looking for the word synonymous. ;)

Hmm ... could be but I figured 'EF 50mm 1.8' and 'durability' are contradictory concepts, like fire and ice or sweet sorrow, hence the use of the term, 'Oxymoron'. But hey, I'm not a grammarian! LOL!

He's right. But, the person press receives different pay. In Japan, a worker is paid more than a worker in Malaysia.

That being true, however it goes beyond just the pay and cost of the item. No offense or intention to flame anyone, but just stating personal opinion and experience, both countries practice different work ethics, and have varying levels of pride and stringency. If you've been to both countries, or even just the nearer one, this point is difficult to refute.

Well Nikon has a factory in Thailand.

Thailand may be cheap and seemingly iffy, but I'd more likely prefer made in thailand than some others, ie. made in china. They're not too bad honestly.

However, that all said, back to the 50mm F1.8, I'd rather worry about things like optical quality, calibration, rather than the build. Yes it 'feels' bad if not very bad, but theres no reason to believe it will splat apart if you take care of it. You can consider buying 3rd party stuff to protect it, such as camera armor, if you really must.

i saw the camera made in japan as well as the kit lens made in japan also,then just bought my 50mm 1.8II last week. when i look at it its made in malaysia.is there any difference

I wouldn't read too much into it. "Made in X" typically means that the last manufacturing step was done in X. A "made in Japan" lens may be made from components from several countries, and the Japanese contribution might be as little as snapping a few pre-assembled subunits together.

Next time you go to the supermarket in S'pore, have a look at all the "made in S'pore" foodstuff and wonder where all the farms and plantations are that could produce all these products ;).

I have dropped my 50mmf1.8 at least 6 times from about a meter high or so.. still working fine though.

I have dropped my 50mmf1.8 at least 6 times from about a meter high or so.. still working fine though.

Don't try this at home. Even with professional supervision. :nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.