Lens keeps fogging up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriggerHappy

Dec 18, 2004
I'm sure some of us have experienced our lenses fogging up esp. in a cold place. Is there any way we can prevent this?... cos I'm wondering if its because i'm using an inferior quality UV Filter or i'm missing something. Its very irritating to keeping wiping the lens between shots. :(Seeing that fogging takes place...means there's lots of moisture. Will it affect my lens and its mechanics?

Common and happens to everyone.

The only solution is to allow enough time for the equipment to acclimatise gradually to the temp extremes.

Someone needs to invent a solution and he'll get bloody rich. I have missed way too many shots and wasted too much time waiting for temperatures to equilibrate.

Haha. "lens keeps fogging up" and just under this thread on the front forum page is "dry boxes necessary?".

reminds me of a diving tip...spit on the goggle to prevent fogging up under-water.

maybe can try use your saliva as the solution alternatives?

hey...does that make me bloody rich?

reminds me of a diving tip...spit on the goggle to prevent fogging up under-water.

so are u going to do that on your lenses?:bsmilie:

so are u going to do that on your lenses?:bsmilie:

done that several time on site when no lens cleaning solution on hand but not due to fogging but for stubbon stain

and i've discovered that when it fogs...it seems to dissipate immediately

and most us have lens filter attached so the spit is not on the lens element but on the filter that you use to protect the element...you do have some sort of protective lens filter mounted, don't you?

That makes a LOT of sense, actually, but you'll be surprised, how many people would shudder at the thought! :bsmilie:

SOME folks with lenses of lower grades that have a fair amount of moist air in them during the course of a normal day's usage may find a problem with the spit n wipe method, when the internal elements fog up as well.

Only if you're providing lens cleaning service from saliva damage :bsmilie:

Actually you can try zip lock bag. If you know that you're going to go from cold to warm place, keep your camera+lens in zip lock bag. If you can wait for the temperature to neutralised, that is good, and by the time your camera/lens temperature come up closer to the warmer temperature, remove it from the zip lock, that should prevent unecessary moisture to fog up.

The most frustrating one is all the focusing screen and back elements of the lens (or who knows, maybe the sensor itself) is fog up, that will be hard to wipe-off. Camera & Lens weather sealing should help a little in this aspect I guess.

how come no one try anti-fog spray for spectacles?
example: http://www.gosportsspex.co.uk/ZeroFog.asp
can easily acquire from spectacles shops.
is relatively cheap < $5
I used that for my specs when I was doing shooting (at the range).
tried for my filters and it does resolve some fogging issues. :thumbsup:
but seems like the more expensive filters (probably the coated ones) doesn't require it.
never dare try on front/rear element,
anyway they do not fog, probably since day one filter has been on and never clean the element with lenspen before, the most just use blower only.

note: the chemical in the antifog solution must be applied with micro cloth after spraying, or else will have one blotch of liquis stain.
hence, i recommend only try on filters.

I did think of using anti fog spray for spectacles but didn't dare to. :)
I did notice that the fogging was mostly on the filter and very little on the front element.
Could really be a case of lousy filter.:confused:
Any recommendations on which filters resist fogging then?

I did notice that the fogging was mostly on the filter and very little on the front element.
Could really be a case of lousy filter.:confused:

Condensation is caused by moisture in warm air meeting cold surface. The filter (and the air between the filter and the front element) insulates the front element from the warm air.

I don't know what kind of filter will better resist fogging. Maybe a thinner one that warms up faster? :dunno: I'm not sure if the surface coating has anything to do with it. Googling I came up with this:

http://www.singh-ray.com/rayvu.html

I'm a bit skeptical after reading "Its extremely low haze factor tends to slightly increase light transmission and color saturation" though. Does it also bring about world peace and solve global hunger?

I also saw some hits about "laminates on the glass will resist fogging" in a review about a B&H polarizing filter. I'm not sure if the reviewer knows what he is talking about.

But even if front element is not fogged up I don't think it is a good idea to carry on shooting. Condensation on the camera may damage it.

I'm sure some of us have experienced our lenses fogging up esp. in a cold place. Is there any way we can prevent this?... cos I'm wondering if its because i'm using an inferior quality UV Filter or i'm missing something. Its very irritating to keeping wiping the lens between shots. :(Seeing that fogging takes place...means there's lots of moisture. Will it affect my lens and its mechanics?

I find it hard to imagine the lenses fogging up in between shots, where did you actually move your camera from?

I guess i came out from an air-conditioned place and it was just after a downpour. ;) I saw that my lens was foggy and attempted to wipe it with a lint free cloth. After a shot or two the lens gradually fogs up again. This happened for over half an hour. I'm also concerned if the moisture will short circuit the mechanics in the lens.

I find it hard to imagine the lenses fogging up in between shots, where did you actually move your camera from?

If your lens is cold, it will continue to fog up until it has warmed up or was removed from the warm humid environment.

If your lens is cold, it will continue to fog up until it has warmed up or was removed from the warm humid environment.

True. Just that I didn't really think usual local conditions will cause such drastic changes, until the TS mentioned it was from an air conditioned area to outside (after a downpour). Because usually, my fogging last only for a few minutes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.