Lens inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

scaredcloud

Oct 5, 2003
Tiny Red Dot
www.flickr.com
Ok, my bad. I have bad eyes. But still, I wana know.
I have came across people who kept telling me that they couldn't find a copy of lens that they want even after visiting a number of shops. There were manufacturing defects.
It really scares me you know?
Normally if I buy lens, I just take a picture and download and look at it on the monitor 100% crop.
But they are telling me things like bubbles, grinding, rather finishing not good, elements alignment not good in zoom lens. The best is, I couldn't see it at all!
I really got this phobia that I'm not checking the lens correctly, or rather, I couldn't identify defects.

Izit really my problem?
How do you guys actually inspect your lens?

p/s: Yeah, I'm worrying too much. Haa! Bcoz the lens never fails me. ;) :bsmilie:

...bubbles, grinding, rather finishing not good, elements alignment not good in zoom lens. The best is, I couldn't see it at all!

I'm also scared. I can't figure out how to tell these with the naked eye and me without any lens grinding/building experience. How do you guys check for all these? Bubbles and external finish might be fairly easy to spot, but grinding/alignment of elements how to check?

Absolute bullsh1t!

These people are likely to be those equipment junkies rather than photographes!

Ok, my bad. I have bad eyes. But still, I wana know.
I have came across people who kept telling me that they couldn't find a copy of lens that they want even after visiting a number of shops. There were manufacturing defects.
It really scares me you know?
Normally if I buy lens, I just take a picture and download and look at it on the monitor 100% crop.
But they are telling me things like bubbles, grinding, rather finishing not good, elements alignment not good in zoom lens. The best is, I couldn't see it at all!
I really got this phobia that I'm not checking the lens correctly, or rather, I couldn't identify defects.

Izit really my problem?
How do you guys actually inspect your lens?

p/s: Yeah, I'm worrying too much. Haa! Bcoz the lens never fails me. ;) :bsmilie:
Huh? I just buy a few lenses only. Go to CP, show them e-quote and check the exterior, and then bring home. Never even bother to take picture too. Just go home, bring out gear and shoot only. My photos still turn out ok.

Do you really bother to blow up everything to check? What's the fuss on all those comments on defects? Do they affect your picture quality so much? Are they worried about the error that is always there in mechanical equipments anyway?

What matters most is that at the end of the day, you can take photos that you are satisfied with. So what if you have the perfect equipment, but you never get the photo you want. Are you planning on reselling gears to support your lifestyle?

Most of my lenses are kit lenses anyway. So don't listen to my rambling...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.