Lens infected with fungus, next step?

ahmad0420

Mar 6, 2010
Yishun
www.shadefotoworks.com
Hey guys,

Just realised today one of my canon zoom lens is infected with fungus on the front and back element. What should I do next? Get it cleaned by CSC or scrap the lens all together?

I would access the value of the lens vs the cost of cleaning the lens.... if the cleaning cost is >50% of a new lens, I will scrap it.

take a few steps to the bus stop, board the bus to CSC, then take a few steps to the seats. alight at Harborfront, then take the few steps to CSC.

It is a 18-55mm Canon. Should I get it cleaned, or sell it off at $20?

Heard someone here can clean fungus for 30+?

ahmad0420 said:
It is a 18-55mm Canon. Should I get it cleaned, or sell it off at $20?

Heard someone here can clean fungus for 30+?

Why not used dry cabinet? To be avoid the future fungus?

Got dry cabinet an fungus free..

Last edited:
kei1309 said:
if TS uses a dry cabinet now, he can infect all the other equipment stored inside.

he has to get it cleaned first

Ok.. That is a bit late, but still can save the lens life's.. Maybe can look at fatigue.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I have PM fatigue about cleaning the lenses.

Is it possible to get my camera body infected as well?

I'm looking into purchasing a dry cabinet from a forumer here.

Thanks guys. I have PM fatigue about cleaning the lenses.

Is it possible to get my camera body infected as well?

I'm looking into purchasing a dry cabinet from a forumer here.

If your lens is in conditions suitable for fungus growth, and your camera body is attached... there is a chance... so bring the camera to fatigue as well.

wrong choice of words there...

thanks for the reminder. should have been spread through the spores.

spores are everywhere anyway.. if conditions are favorable, they will grow... you do not need a fungus-ed lens to be near.

spores are everywhere anyway.. if conditions are favorable, they will grow... you do not need a fungus-ed lens to be near.

yea.. but still... proximity to an "infected" lens is another factor and a risk i won't want to take as well..

yea.. but still... proximity to an "infected" lens is another factor and a risk i won't want to take as well..

The fungus is growing inside a lens. it is not easy for the spores to jump out from inside a lens to outside... don't be that paranoid and have some common sense.

TS have you tried this on your lens? :think:

imagecfmid60405typeimgn.jpg

Ok, Ok. Just kidding, please don't hantam me. :sweat:

You can still rescue your lens if you address the fungal growth ASAP before it etches into your modern multicoated lens. I assume the growth is inside the elements so best to leave it to the pros to disassemble.

9V-Orion Images, seriously I read that cold cream or athlete's foot cream can remove fungus if left overnight. These tips came from vintage lens forums. I have not tried either.

TS I suggest you take the lens to the service centre to get it checked and confirmed that it is fungus first before deciding where to send for cleaning.

There was once I have a cheap lens which I thought got fungus, and I brought it down to Peninsula shop to assess cleaning cost. The lens cost less than $300 but the shop quoted me $90. Was told its initial stage of fungus growth. They say it's because it got dunno what electronic thing at the base and they need to open it up, and takes lots of work. Recommend me to go to service centre instead.

When I went to the service centre, they took it in to assess. After half an hour, the lens came back, and I was told that there was no fungus in my lens at all, just dust. When I asked why the spot looks like a bit furry (root-like), they mentioned that there are many different types of dust in the air, and what I have is just dust and not fungus. I double confirmed at least 3 times before I am convinced. I left the service centre without having to pay a single cent, and the technician actually did a minor cleaning on my lens too.

After that incident, I tell myself always to go to service centre if I am not sure. Wonder why the shop tells me it is fungus........

Anyway, you only pay if they service, they don't charge to assess :)

yes I would also suggest TS get it checked at CSC

The fungus is growing inside a lens. it is not easy for the spores to jump out from inside a lens to outside... don't be that paranoid and have some common sense.

so theoretically in a dry cabinet where conditions are not conducive fungus from one lens doesn't really 'spread' to others?
:think: read a few times people saying don't put an infected lens in dry cab to avoid spreading...

hmm actually the answer to my thought is already here heh...

Last edited: