Lens in cold weather - Genting Highland

1ucio

Aug 18, 2010
Hi,

Going up Genting in a few days time. Is there any precaution i need to take in view of the temperature difference. Planning to bring my kit lens up only cos if anything happen, heart not too pain..dunno if im a bit too paranoid.

Heard from a friend not advisable to bring to places with low temperature.. condensation in the lens will speed up the growth of fungus. :confused:

Genting is not considered cold, should be around 18 deg or even higher in the day. That's just air con temperature. You are not going to leave your camera there for months or years without using it, so there's no need to think about fungus growth.

Please know that the colder the temperature, the less humidity the air can hold. If you live in Genting forever, your lenses will have less probability of getting fungus than in singapore.

Noted with thanks guys!

But how about condensation inside the lens? Ok to leave it to dry up naturally?

Noted with thanks guys!

if you are afraid of the condensation, when going into warmer areas, say the hotel room, put the camera into a bag first to let it slowly change temperature. but if its genting, i dont tink i would even go into that trouble.

Noted with thanks guys!

Condensation will only happen when you move from a cold environment to a warm environment suddenly.

All you need to do is to put the camera in a ziploc bag if the differences of temperature is really big. Or else leave it in your camera bag and let the temperatures stablize slowly on its own.

Relax and enjoy your holiday!
I would say you're being paranoid over nothing.

Don't need to treat your DSLR like cotton wool.

Thanks guys!

I think i am indeed paranoid after what my friend told me!

Thanks guys!

I think i am indeed paranoid after what my friend told me!

I have no idea what your friend told you, but I've used my gear Canon gear down to 42 below, for longer periods. Except for a really short battery life, no problems :)

Of course, when you get back into the heat, it is important to seal of fresh air.

DSLR is not made of tofu. They're built to pretty tough standards, in COLD COUNTRIES. Think about that next time.

haha only Genting leh bro. Imagine people who live in the Nordic Countries.. means they should never get DSLRs?

I've walk around the place, both indoors and outdoors with my camera exposed to the air. The difference in temperature between indoors and outdoors is not enough to cause any condensation. Personally I think genting is only a cool area, not really cold.

Q: when on a tour in a cold country or cooler region. how do you know who is a singaporean?

A: They are the only ones who wrap their DSLR in zip-lock bags and lug around a drybox everywhere. Everyone else just takes pictures and enjoys.

Q: when on a tour in a cold country or cooler region. how do you know who is a singaporean?

A: They are the only ones who wrap their DSLR in zip-lock bags and lug around a drybox everywhere. Everyone else just takes pictures and enjoys.

Actually I hear the Singaporean first before I see them - phrases like then hor, like that lor, etc.

Actually I hear the Singaporean first before I see them - phrases like then hor, like that lor, etc.
Let's not get sidetracked :)
The point is that Singaporeans tend to "baby" their gear, afraid of dust la, scratch la, condensation la. I think they don't even treat their loved ones with such care and concern :bsmilie:

Went to Genting without any precautions , still okay . If i remembered clearly , i didnt have any condensation .

was at Australia near Sydney area few wks back, the temp there was like less than 10 degC in the morning and night and only abt 17 degC in the afternoon. no issue with condensation, air humidity low and low temp, chances of condensation is very low.

only had prob when in places like thailand, lens fog up after i exit from shopping center or hotel after spending long hours inside. took a few mins for the lens to adjust.

Darn, I forgot to tell my camera about possible cold temperatures and condensation when I was in Genting last year. Thanks for highlighting, will prepare my camera next time I'm heading there :bsmilie:

The only times I had condensation issues were:

1. Was in Bintan. Camera in room with aircon full blast. Rushed down to take sunrise on a very very warm and humid morning. The lens blur out a little. Had to wait for 3 mins for it to dissipate on its own. Continued shooting with no problems.

2. Was near North korean and russian borders with a non-weather sealed D90. Was out shooting sunrise in a village. Temperature was -25 deg C to -30 deg C. Bigger problem was fingers were hurting within seconds of taking off gloves to press the shutter. Camera and ballhead worked totally fine. Before moving back into the fire-heated hut, placed camera in ziploc (tough to do when I have thick gloves), went in and lef the camera on a shelf. Saw the condensation form on the outside of the ziploc. After 10mins, water disappeared and I can take the camera out.

FYI, you still can use your lenses when condensation occurs.

5147714473_153d5f85d4_z.jpg