Lens Hood

JVlarcus

Dec 14, 2008
Hey CSers! I recently got a lens hood for my 58mm kit lens, but it keeps dropping off from the filter's screw. I need some help to make it stable again, as it keeps dropping off, and it is starting to get on my nerves!

Also can anyone kindly advise me how a lens hood should be properly placed? as it seems when I take some photos, there will be some black parts on the photo which has been covered up by the hood.:dunno: So sorry for the newbie questions...thanks! :sticktong;)

Hey CSers! I recently got a lens hood for my 58mm kit lens, but it keeps dropping off from the filter's screw. I need some help to make it stable again, as it keeps dropping off, and it is starting to get on my nerves!

Also can anyone kindly advise me how a lens hood should be properly placed? as it seems when I take some photos, there will be some black parts on the photo which has been covered up by the hood.:dunno: So sorry for the newbie questions...thanks! :sticktong;)
Did you get the right size? Some lens hood are screwed on, some clipped on & some twist & turn to tighten.
As for the black parts, its called vignetting. That means its the wrong hood for your lens. You should test it at 18mm, if vignetting does not show, then its the right one, & if it shows @18mm, its the wrong one. Then you have to get one that is thinner ;)

Did you get the right size? Some lens hood are screwed on, some clipped on & some twist & turn to tighten.
As for the black parts, its called vignetting. That means its the wrong hood for your lens. You should test it at 18mm, if vignetting does not show, then its the right one, & if it shows @18mm, its the wrong one. Then you have to get one that is thinner ;)

Yeah it should be the right size? I bought it from Far east plaza, and the auntie told me it would definitely fit my kit lens as I had told her the model and what kind of lens I was usng. The hood is screwed on, but I guess it maybe my lens filter which has been kinda abused by frequently taking on and off the Lens cover :eek: which kind of made the screw lose?:cry: So should I try any other lens hood as it gives vignetting? I'm using a Canon EF - S 18-55 IS which is the kit lens. Is there any reputable shops which I could go to, to get a properly fitted lens hood? :angel:

I hope you didn't get the petal hood, because for your kit lens, its a very shallow filter.

This will help better illustrate.

211YA0720ZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The EW-60C from Canon is the right hood for your 18-55mm IS lens.

Anything other than this, will result in vignetting, because your lens has a focal range of a wide angle and a standard zoom.

I bought it from Far east plaza, and the auntie told me it would definitely fit my kit lens as I had told her the model and what kind of lens I was usng.
Rule #1: Do your homework. Do not trust aunties or sales men. They want to sell, not educating you for free.
There is a list of reputable shops in the price guide section and also in consumer corner.

its okie, don't worry about the getting cheated part.. people who are usually clueless tend to buy from camera shops that are "well-known"...

but yes, show us some pics of it, maybe we can see whether its the right one, or how to attach it...

I hope you didn't get the petal hood, because for your kit lens, its a very shallow filter.

Anything other than this, will result in vignetting, because your lens has a focal range of a wide angle and a standard zoom.

Think TS having seen that may have realized he's bought the wrong hood, now wondering how to let go of it ... But all these are pure conjecture, only he can say whether he bought the right one or not. Some just 'aeroplane' and don't bother to update or thank others for their time ...

:cry: I got the petal hood. I guess I got cheated by the auntie.:nono: :(

show us a photo of how the lens hood be attach to the lens, taken by hand phone also can.

Okay. Will post a pict. of it later in the afternoon.;)

Rule #1: Do your homework. Do not trust aunties or sales men. They want to sell, not educating you for free.
There is a list of reputable shops in the price guide section and also in consumer corner.

I guess I got excited about getting some camera accessories that I rushed into getting this lens hood without doing my homework :cry: is there anyway to let go of this lens hood? will anybody buy?

I think you got conned by the auntie, the original 18-55 hood would not vignette

Yeah...I believe I have been conned by the auntie into buying, but the few camera shops which I went to also offered the same lens hood(Same brand/size) :confused:

its okie, don't worry about the getting cheated part.. people who are usually clueless tend to buy from camera shops that are "well-known"...

but yes, show us some pics of it, maybe we can see whether its the right one, or how to attach it...

So the shops at Far east aren't that 'reputable'? damn emo now....haha guess will have to take it as a pinch of salt and learn my lesson from it

Think TS having seen that may have realized he's bought the wrong hood, now wondering how to let go of it ... But all these are pure conjecture, only he can say whether he bought the right one or not. Some just 'aeroplane' and don't bother to update or thank others for their time ...

:bsmilie: sorry haven't got time to log onto CS, thus the late reply :sweat: After reading through all the thread reply, I believe I had bought the wrong hood.:bheart::angry:

and yeah, Thanks CSers for giving me such good advice:sweatsm:

Last edited:
Go back and ask for change or refund! The canon lens hoods are damn expensive.

Bro,think you have to pay attention that 18-55's end rotate when it is focusing,so if the hood is the petal model then it wont function well,the hood will rotate as well.one more is try to look for the snap and twist model,because if it's screwed on type,you will easily apoil you filter or lense if you screw it too tightly,if you don't,the hood will keep on spinning.it's really gets on my nerve when i get cheated too on buying screw type,the hood keep spinning causing some corner to have black shadow...Gggrrrgghhhhh.....so the correct one is the type that others show you.
You can try to look for a non-OEM at mass sale at CS.i got mine EW78E only for $15...looks exactly like the OEM except the red dot.

is there anyway to let go of this lens hood? will anybody buy?
Post it with a picture of the hood / box into Buy & Sell. Maybe somebody has use for it.

Go back and ask for change or refund! The canon lens hoods are damn expensive.

Will they allow such refund? how much are canon lens hood?

Bro,think you have to pay attention that 18-55's end rotate when it is focusing,so if the hood is the petal model then it wont function well,the hood will rotate as well.one more is try to look for the snap and twist model,because if it's screwed on type,you will easily apoil you filter or lense if you screw it too tightly,if you don't,the hood will keep on spinning.it's really gets on my nerve when i get cheated too on buying screw type,the hood keep spinning causing some corner to have black shadow...Gggrrrgghhhhh.....so the correct one is the type that others show you.
You can try to look for a non-OEM at mass sale at CS.i got mine EW78E only for $15...looks exactly like the OEM except the red dot.

Yeap I'm experiencing what you've said, and I'm also afraid it'll spoil my filter screw as it drops and I gotta twist it back in..any idea when such mass sale will be held again?;)

Post it with a picture of the hood / box into Buy & Sell. Maybe somebody has use for it.

Alright, I believe there is someone whom has some use for it! :thumbsup::sweatsm: