Lens Hood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boredphuck

Deregistered
Aug 24, 2007
Sengkang
www.flickr.com
How many of the members here use a lens hood? How many use it just because it came with the lens? Generally speaking, shld i get one if i don't have it?

depends on your lens
for example, sometimes some lens doesn't come with lens hood because not so needed
like when the front element is within a recess, i suppose

but you should always try to use a lens hood as far as possible
especially when shooting at wide angle

always put it to prevent scratches from accidental bumping. :)

if i am shooting in teh evening,, is it a necessity to use hood. or only dayligh?

if i am shooting in teh evening,, is it a necessity to use hood. or only dayligh?

all times, so long as there is light from other sources
evening still have stuff like stray light from streetlamps, etc
unless you like flare, shrug

depends on your lens
for example, sometimes some lens doesn't come with lens hood because not so needed
like when the front element is within a recess, i suppose

but you should always try to use a lens hood as far as possible
especially when shooting at wide angle

i'm thinking of getting it for the kit lens. :dunno:

when u are carrying it around but what abt when u need to take it in and out of bag often? troublesome?

Troublesome as in it takes up a lot of space in the bag? Not if you reverse mount it.

For me, I do not always have a UV filter on, the hood thus protects the front element from scratches and smuges.

i'm thinking of getting it for the kit lens. :dunno:

eeks which brand you using
i thought every kit lens comes with lens hood

so that in those ads for kit set they can make the camera seem more pro looking :bsmilie:

Troublesome as in it takes up a lot of space in the bag? Not if you reverse mount it.

For me, I do not always have a UV filter on, the hood thus protects the front element from scratches and smuges.

the thing is u reverse then reverse again. not troublesome?

when u are carrying it around but what abt when u need to take it in and out of bag often? troublesome?

not at all
you can reverse it
most lens hoods are not too large, so long as you aren't using an extremely huge lens
in which case your extremely huge lens is taking extremly huge amount of space
what is some more for a lens hood? :dunno:

the thing is u reverse then reverse again. not troublesome?

you will get used to it

just like you will get used to other things like
putting lens cap on
using tripod
etc etc etc

laziness is unbecoming of an earnest photographer!

eeks which brand you using
i thought every kit lens comes with lens hood

so that in those ads for kit set they can make the camera seem more pro looking :bsmilie:

canon. efs 17-85. i don't think the lower range lens comes with the hood if kit lens.

marketing leh. must make all efforts to let product look good woh.

not at all
you can reverse it
most lens hoods are not too large, so long as you aren't using an extremely huge lens
in which case your extremely huge lens is taking extremly huge amount of space
what is some more for a lens hood? :dunno:

ya la. can reverse la. but i mean repeatedly doing it quite waste of time if u need to take a quick shot. then nvr use. then realise got flare. :dunno:

for serious photog, nothing is really troublesome. :) see some pro slug around 10kg+ of equipment! :bigeyes:

for serious photog, nothing is really troublesome. :) see some pro slug around 10kg+ of equipment! :bigeyes:

not for me. i will bring it for biz trips. too many things to carry liao. camera, laptop, luggage. troublesome to carry heavy stuff. :bsmilie:

not really
bringing unnecessary stuff is almost as bad as not bringing the necessary stuff

you end up performing less well, from experience because you have so much to handle
very distracted, hahaha
nowadays i just bring whatever i think i need
and hey, if i do not have the lens i want at hand for a particular situation
just suck thumb, and let it go and move on

Status
Not open for further replies.