Lens Hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

niki

Dec 3, 2005
SengKang
When to use , when is it redundant?

usually its useless, use it when u see flairing

Outdoors when shooting in bright sunlight... but you can always improvise. Shoot from a shady area instead of under the sun whenever possible.

i almost never bring out my hood, i use my hand instead

i also nv use before.:dunno:

joke of the week::
there was this once i had a black shadow in some pics....i was wondering wat the hell....then i realized its my hair casting shadow hahaha......last time hair quite long keke.

JediForce4ever said:
I keep my hood on all the time, so to prevent any accidents to the front element or any itchy fingers from straying there.
:thumbsup:

guess i'll save up this $50+ then.. :thumbsup:

Keeping the lens hood on should be a good practice. 1stly it can help to prevent flare, especially if there is any bright light source you may not notice that is causing some flare when you are too engrossed in shooting. 2ndly, it will help to minimise damage to your lens front element should you accidentally drop your camera or knock against something. Using your hands to shield the sun while holding the camera with the other hand might cause more shake, unless your hand is rock steady. Also I find trying to shield the sun with one hand will cause you to lose concentration on your subject.

niki said:
for a hood?

i almost always use a monopod. using my hand is more effective in completely blocking the sun coz the hood's kinda fixed so it dosnt work everytime.

i find the hood inconvinent and takes up too much space in my bag. on occasions i bring out all my gear i'll bring a hood along since my wide/mid/tele all use 77mm

its mainly used to show off. serious. the show off effect will be more significant if u paste stickers on it

roti_prata said:
usually its useless, use it when u see flairing
Wahahaha... useless... I'm very amused... :bsmilie:

user111 said:
its mainly used to show off. serious. the show off effect will be more significant if u paste stickers on it

oic.
so lots of photographers here r show offs here.

OT, how come i saw u using a lens hood the other time ah? :think:

markccm said:
oic.
so lots of photographers here r show offs here.

OT, how come i saw u using a lens hood the other time ah? :think:
It's meant to put on your head and say you are KING... len hood is useless and show off one ma... :bsmilie:

niki said:

$50 is definitely a ripoff. The "C" brand is known for milking its customers this way, not sure about the "N" brand. Most third party lenses come with hoods, and some lenses (in particular mid-range tele lenses), even in the low-cost segment, used to have slideable hoods built-in.

If you have a lens whose front element is already deeply recessed, an additional lens hood won't gain that much. Also, fixed hoods for zoom lenses are problematic - unless the lens uses additional mechanics to adjust the hood, they may cause vignetting at the wide end or may be not very effective at the tele end.

If you have the choice of spending $50 for a lens hood or a "UV filter for protection", there's little doubt that the hood is by far the better investment for image quality.

yea..i 'invested' in a $15 lens protector instead..haha

LittleWolf said:
$50 is definitely a ripoff. The "C" brand is known for milking its customers this way, not sure about the "N" brand. Most third party lenses come with hoods, and some lenses (in particular mid-range tele lenses), even in the low-cost segment, used to have slideable hoods built-in.

If you have a lens whose front element is already deeply recessed, an additional lens hood won't gain that much. Also, fixed hoods for zoom lenses are problematic - unless the lens uses additional mechanics to adjust the hood, they may cause vignetting at the wide end or may be not very effective at the tele end.

If you have the choice of spending $50 for a lens hood or a "UV filter for protection", there's little doubt that the hood is by far the better investment for image quality.
yeah...stingy Canon always make you buy everything seperately....expensive....

user111 said:

ttz wad i do, i pasted reflectors!

so if got vehicles, can c me w/ their lamps if coming from sideways. kiasi eh... :sweatsm:

haven't tot if they come from behind... :embrass:

sORe-EyEz said:
ttz wad i do, i pasted reflectors!

so if got vehicles, can c me w/ their lamps if coming from sideways. kiasi eh... :sweatsm:

haven't tot if they come from behind... :embrass:

user111 is saying u Hao Lian wor.
coz u paste stickers

Status
Not open for further replies.