lens hood... when?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EiRiK

Mar 2, 2003
North
www.eiriktan.com
i have a couple of lens hoods sitting around for sometime... came with the lens...

have been taking acceptable pics without them for quite some time so was wondering are they really neccessary... or am i missing out on something?

try to have hoods on whenever you shoot.

1. provides shade, reduces incidence of flare.
2. protects front element of lens (esp those with protruding ones like the siogma 15-30)

good shooting :)

use it only during outdoor shoots?
what if i am using a polariser?
cannot use flash when using built-in lens hood? what about speedlight?

i have 2 with 2 different shapes... 1 is basically a cylindrical-shape all around, the other has irregular sides... any diff between the 2?

thanks dude...

Originally posted by EiRiK
use it only during outdoor shoots?
what if i am using a polariser?
cannot use flash when using built-in lens hood? what about speedlight?

i have 2 with 2 different shapes... 1 is basically a cylindrical-shape all around, the other has irregular sides... any diff between the 2?

thanks dude...

i guess if there doesn't exist a really bright light source around (eg sun, spotlight) you could do without a hood. having said that, i still see lots of photogs using hoods for indoor shots. anyway, if the hood being there affects you from taking the shot because its cumbersome, obstrusive etc,...do without it.

i think you can try out with both hoods..best to use hoods that came with the lens for that lens itself. else may cause probs of vignetting etc.

hoods..i guess restrict the ease of use of polarisers..maybe if you really need to use a polariser then you should sacrifice the hood.

flashes...well, don't try taking pics of v close stuff wth hood and flash...prob get vignetting or flash bloackage. (i think)

:)

i have a couple of lens hoods sitting around for sometime... came with the lens...

have been taking acceptable pics without them for quite some time so was wondering are they really neccessary... or am i missing out on something?

Hi

it's good to have hoods on all the time....
they would give better contrast in your pictures due to elimination of stray light that can cause veiling flare......

at the very least, it serves as a good protection from the elements and careless fingers :)

[B

thanks dude... [/B]

the cylindrical-shape hood is meant for rotating front lens (when zooming and focusing) while the flower shape hood is meant for non rotating lens.

Last time I always carry dedicated plastic hoods for all my lenses. It is very inconvinent to store them in the Camera bag. Now I am using my hat if there is a need for lens shade :p

Status
Not open for further replies.