Lens hood vs flower hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velectron

Dec 1, 2005
Admiralty
May I ask what is the difference between a cylindrical lens hood and a flower hood? I don't mean the shape but rather, what are their difference in terms of usage? From what I see, the normal cylindrical hood seem to be better, but if so, why are so many camera manufacturers providing flower hoods for their cameras instead (e.g. Pana, Sony etc)??

Would appreciate it if some knowledgeable person here can enlighten me.

Thanks in advance! :)

Flower shaped hoods are suposed to provide better shading. But if you have a front element that rotates you cannot use them as they might cause vigenetting in your shots from the shadow cast by the hood. The cylndrical hoods are a compromise from the flower hoods but cna be used in any lens as the shape is the same no mattter how it rotates..

Velectron said:
May I ask what is the difference between a cylindrical lens hood and a flower hood? I don't mean the shape but rather, what are their difference in terms of usage? From what I see, the normal cylindrical hood seem to be better, but if so, why are so many camera manufacturers providing flower hoods for their cameras instead (e.g. Pana, Sony etc)??

The reason is because your frame is rectangular and the angle of view for diagonals, vertical and horizontal are all different. The petal shaped hood is able to provide maximum shading without affecting the corners and causing vignetting, especially for wideangle lenses. These petal shaped hoods are custom for each lens, so they cannot be used interchangeably.

Usually, for tele lenses, a normal cylindrical lens hood can be used as long as it is providing sufficient shading to prevent sunlight from hitting the lens elements.

lsisaxon said:
The reason is because your frame is rectangular and the angle of view for diagonals, vertical and horizontal are all different. The petal shaped hood is able to provide maximum shading without affecting the corners and causing vignetting, especially for wideangle lenses. These petal shaped hoods are custom for each lens, so they cannot be used interchangeably.

Usually, for tele lenses, a normal cylindrical lens hood can be used as long as it is providing sufficient shading to prevent sunlight from hitting the lens elements.

OIC. I din know that flower hoods are custom for each type of lens. How about fixed lens cameras that do not have a rotating front element? Does this still apply? Coz I see that Sony seems to be selling the same 58 mm flower hood for the F707, F717 and H1. Sorry if I am still confused... :embrass:

Saw this HOYA multi-lens hood that can be folded or extended to suit the type of lens used. But was wondering if the Sony flower hood is better for my F707.

Is it normal that lens hood do not come with front threads to mount filters? I suppose the correct way is to mount the filters followed last by the lens hood? :sweat:

Velectron said:
Is it normal that lens hood do not come with front threads to mount filters? I suppose the correct way is to mount the filters followed last by the lens hood? :sweat:

Lens hood are not mounted on filter threads...

mpenza said:
some are but most (especially for SLR lenses) are not.

Yupz. Most lenses have a dedicated hood thread in front to mount the hoods. Some like my 50mm f/1.8 II must use an adapter to mount the hood onto the lens.

Hee..sorry. I still cannot afford a DSLR. Think I caused some confusion here. My area of concern is lens hood for prosumer type of cameras ;p .

Velectron said:
Hee..sorry. I still cannot afford a DSLR. Think I caused some confusion here. My area of concern is lens hood for prosumer type of cameras ;p .

Same principle applies.

Velectron said:
OIC. I din know that flower hoods are custom for each type of lens. How about fixed lens cameras that do not have a rotating front element? Does this still apply? Coz I see that Sony seems to be selling the same 58 mm flower hood for the F707, F717 and H1. Sorry if I am still confused... :embrass:

Saw this HOYA multi-lens hood that can be folded or extended to suit the type of lens used. But was wondering if the Sony flower hood is better for my F707.

For the Sony cameras, the hood are the same probably the angle of view is the same at the widest end. For a petal hood, it is usually bayonet mount because the alignment is important. The cuts should coincide with the corners of the frame, so it cannot be screwed on. Best is to go with a manufacturer specified hood. If you used a hood which is meant for a wider angle of view, it will not be effective, if you used a hood which is too long, it will cause vignetting.

Velectron said:

Haha!! I have the same doubt when I was still a newbie.

After I've cleared all my doubts. I'm now a senior newbie. :bsmilie:

Ok, may be you'll like to try this out:
- Make yourself a long paper lens hood and fixed it on your cam (whatever method).
- when aim thru your viewfinder/lcd, you should be seeing a 'tunnel vision'.
- now slowly trim the paper hood off with sissors, until the hood covers edge-to-edge of your rectangular picutre frame.
- what will you end up? A flower hood!!

Velectron said:

the flower-shaped hood caters to wider-angle lenses. telephoto hoods are usually cylindrical.

Thanks everybody for the great explanation and great suggestions!! :)

Since I am intending to use filters together with the lens hood, I think the best bet is to get the cylindrical one, coz the petals might not be at the intended positions when the flower hood is screwed onto the filters (thread depth of filters may not be the same as on camera).

Velectron said:
Thanks everybody for the great explanation and great suggestions!! :)

Since I am intending to use filters together with the lens hood, I think the best bet is to get the cylindrical one, coz the petals might not be at the intended positions when the flower hood is screwed onto the filters (thread depth of filters may not be the same as on camera).

Since it's a screw-in, rounded ones are better, unless it's the bayonet mount.

Are screw-in hoods (have a need for either 72mm or 77mm) common at the peninsula-area shops? I tried calling CP, but I don't think the guy I talked understood what I'm looking for (I got the automated response: no hehe). Thanks.

Snoweagle said:
Since it's a screw-in, rounded ones are better, unless it's the bayonet mount.

wedgehammer said:
Are screw-in hoods (have a need for either 72mm or 77mm) common at the peninsula-area shops? I tried calling CP, but I don't think the guy I talked understood what I'm looking for (I got the automated response: no hehe). Thanks.

So far i've not seen screw-in hoods of that size sold before. These are usually of the usual bayonet mountings.

Use whatever that comes with your lens when you bought it lor... Save money. Haha :p

Anyway realised the flower-hood that comes with my 18-200 casts a shadow when using the original built-in flash... Probably time to invest in a SB-600...

Tofu_man said:
Anyway realised the flower-hood that comes with my 18-200 casts a shadow when using the original built-in flash... Probably time to invest in a SB-600...

Of cos. Due to the length of extension of the zoom and the low height of the pop-up flash, there's definitely shadows casted at the bottom of your images.

Status
Not open for further replies.