Lens hood - tight and secure

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallaperture

Jan 5, 2004
Catchment Area
So far the best lens hood, the bayonet mount type, is from Tamron, that is secured with a tight click. The one I bought for the Nk80-200ED has got not click so, not so secure that I need to secure with a tape - for that extra sens of security. Then, the Sigma I got has got a click, but that click doesn't seem to be strong enough for my liking, just somewhat too light and doesn't have a solid feel.

The best are still those telescopic built-in hood - you can never loose them, and they are always there.

Just my limited observation of the hood I have used.

hehe, I would think that the best lens hood are those that cut flare the most from your lens, and not whether they have a nice sounding click or not. And the effectiveness of telescopic lenshood at cutting flare depends on the hood in question. :D

justarius said:
hehe, I would think that the best lens hood are those that cut flare the most from your lens, and not whether they have a nice sounding click or not. And the effectiveness of telescopic lenshood at cutting flare depends on the hood in question. :D

Yeah, yeap, all lens hoods cut flare, more or less, or much more or just a little, or if the lens is darn good, no need hood at all in 99% of the time. I am just talking about one small aspect of lens hood - how well it's fix to the lens.

Of course, we can talk about how the hood can cut flare, and protect the lens or how reflective or otherwise the surface, the texture of the inner surface, flower shape or plain etc, etc.

find the canon lens hood very big... dunno whether it's necessary to make them so big, eg, the hood for 17-40 and those hood telephoto lenses...

centrino said:
find the canon lens hood very big... dunno whether it's necessary to make them so big, eg, the hood for 17-40 and those hood telephoto lenses...

Well for the 17-40 the front element is probably very huge and since it is an L lens the large constant aperture does not help as well contributing to a huge front element..... that amount of glass upfront is very likely to flare and the hood has to be very big to cut off specular lighting...

TME said:
Well for the 17-40 the front element is probably very huge and since it is an L lens the large constant aperture does not help as well contributing to a huge front element..... that amount of glass upfront is very likely to flare and the hood has to be very big to cut off specular lighting...
Agree the 17-40 hood is big...
Is there a type of rubber hood for the 17-40? just like the 1 for 50mm.

smallaperture said:
Yeah, yeap, all lens hoods cut flare, more or less, or much more or just a little, or if the lens is darn good, no need hood at all in 99% of the time. I am just talking about one small aspect of lens hood - how well it's fix to the lens.

Of course, we can talk about how the hood can cut flare, and protect the lens or how reflective or otherwise the surface, the texture of the inner surface, flower shape or plain etc, etc.

A brief and very useful article on lens hoods:
http://www.photofocus.com/zine7/hoods.html :D

AReality said:
Agree the 17-40 hood is big...
Is there a type of rubber hood for the 17-40? just like the 1 for 50mm.

Use this...EW-83D, which meant for EF24mm f1.4L

http://burren.cx/photo/ew83d.html

I've been using this for a while now, its not as smooth as the original hood...So u need to push it hard until it clicks b4 twisting it, otherwise u'll ruin ur the thread on ur lens... :eek:

But it fits nicely on my bag now, unlike the original hood, big & ugly... :rolleyes:

i wonder if there is an equivalent table for nikons :p

henavs said:
Use this...EW-83D, which meant for EF24mm f1.4L

http://burren.cx/photo/ew83d.html

I've been using this for a while now, its not as smooth as the original hood...So u need to push it hard until it clicks b4 twisting it, otherwise u'll ruin ur the thread on ur lens... :eek:

But it fits nicely on my bag now, unlike the original hood, big & ugly... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.