Lens hood shadow, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtsky

Jul 28, 2008
Yishun
Hi,
When I take picture with lens hood on. It always cast a shadow at the centre bottom of the image. How can I avoid this problem? Please help, thanks.

DSC_8231.jpg

take off your lens hood?
get a external flash or dont use flash at all

Thanks, geeteethree. Is this problem caused by flash? Just wondering do we need to leave the lens hood on all the time for indoor photography?

Thanks, geeteethree. Is this problem caused by flash? Just wondering do we need to leave the lens hood on all the time for indoor photography?

Lens hood are not to be used in tandem with built in flash, this has been documented in certain manuals where the hood is bundled together.

Thanks for all the advices given.

You may want to read about the general purpose of a lens hood. Hope that makes it clear when to use and when to take off.

You don't need a hood indoors...

Or turn the camera upside down, so the flash is at the bottom, then shoot. The shadow will be on the ceiling or the sky, so it becomes less of a problem

Hi, do u have any good website reference to recomend. From the web, I realize that lens hoods are to keep extraneous light from entering the lens and causing flare. This is more prevalent with zoom lenses. However, some say must be on all the time, some say you don't need any hood.

Hi, do u have any good website reference to recomend. From the web, I realize that lens hoods are to keep extraneous light from entering the lens and causing flare. This is more prevalent with zoom lenses. However, some say must be on all the time, some say you don't need any hood.

Please. How much light can enter into the area which u have to use flash?
Just take the websites with a pinch of salt and use hood for outdoor usage only.

If you are confused, just take photos without the hood at all. If you start noticing flares or shoot during the harsh midday,then use the hood

A hood may help keep others from bumping into the front element of your lens if it is crowded. But obviously you don't want it on if it is casting a shadow.

It can reduce flare if there is a strong light shining in front of camera, but out of view of the image.

Last edited:
Thanks, learned something new today.

Hi,
When I take picture with lens hood on. It always cast a shadow at the centre bottom of the image. How can I avoid this problem? Please help, thanks.

DSC_8231.jpg

think you need to read your manual again :bsmilie:

I bought the lens from CSer, so I do not have the manual. Nevertheless, It is still my mistake that I fail to read more from the web. Luckily I managed to find the answer from here. Thanks for all the info you all share with me.

This isn't due to your hood being shallow..

It's due to too large a lens front portion, of having a pop-up flash with a low clearance height.

I bought the lens from CSer, so I do not have the manual. Nevertheless, It is still my mistake that I fail to read more from the web. Luckily I managed to find the answer from here. Thanks for all the info you all share with me.

what I mean is your camera manual, it states such situation:bsmilie:

You don't need a hood indoors...

Err ... Not always true ...

Or turn the camera upside down, so the flash is at the bottom, then shoot. The shadow will be on the ceiling or the sky, so it becomes less of a problem

Hahaha! I like this suggestion! Fast! Easy! And sounds like it might just work! :thumbsup:

the lens hood is used to prevent light from hitting the front lens element from the sides - reducing contrast and creating flare.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/canon-lenses/Lens-Hoods.aspx

so if the light source is behind you or will not hit your front element (eg. if you are standing in the shade)
then you do not need to use the lens hood

Thanks for all the interesting idea, very informative website given, and your helps rendered to me. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.