Lens Hood - scare people?

Do you avoid using lens hood to avoid drawing attention?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

artspraken

Aug 7, 2009
My D90 + 17-55 + Hood make me look like walkaround Darth Vader.

Hood is usually not condusive to street photography because it makes the camera look very invasive.

Do you find yourself doing without a hood?

Don't you think got filter is enough to protect lens?

Last edited:
lens hood purpose is to prevent flare..:)

Lens hoods make lenses look better; 85mm f1.2 looks like a stumpy cannonball without the hood :)

My purpose of putting on the hood not only to prevent flare and also to further protect my lens.
So the hood is always on and lens cap is always off.

For me,to prevent dust frm entering my lens??? Do i make sense :dunno:??? cos when u zoom in n out,im afraid d dust could enter through d barrel... Hahaha :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie: jus me n my crazy thought...

For me,to prevent dust frm entering my lens??? Do i make sense :dunno:??? cos when u zoom in n out,im afraid d dust could enter through d barrel... Hahaha :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie: jus me n my crazy thought...

No it doesnt prevent dust from being sucked in... It only serve to reduce the chances of flare and to protect the front from knocks

The extension tube provide good grip for small camera.

DSC08096.jpg

Last edited:
My D90 + 17-55 + Hood make me look like walkaround Darth Vader.

Hood is usually not condusive to street photography because it makes the camera look very invasive.

Do you find yourself doing without a hood?

Don't you think got filter is enough to protect lens?

I think my camera and i look very pro with the hood on.
And the comparison with darth vader is based on?

Regards

Hood apart from reducing flare, primary purpose to me is still to provide the lens and any contact with the front elements, though filter still on

Darth Vader also got big hood mah

hoods prevent flare.
cushioned my lens when i dropped it.
adds a layer of protection when dealing with kids who want to touch your gear.

thats all to lens hood. couldn't care less how i looked with or w/o it....

using the hood is too big.. thats why I never really use it on my 70-200.. I just move to remove the flare.

cushioned my lens when i dropped it.

This is a very naive perception that a lens hood will 'cushion' your precious
lens when you dropped it..heaven forbid the lens will be damaged certainly.So be careful
not to drop or you'll sob.

Last edited:
lens hood purpose is to prevent flare..:)
Not only that, when people knock to the lens in a crowd, they wil knock the lens hood before touching the front element.

My Hood save my lens from damage. It can absorb the shock when dropped. Not joking.
The lens was on a mark 2 when I get out of the car, i forgotten the neck strap was not on my neck. It landed on the cement floor on the carpark, luckily the lens hood hit first. I tot my lens was gone. Luckily, just the hood has deep scratches.

James:)

Last edited:
Some people label photographers with DSLR and a lens hood as "pros".
So they siam when they see us.

Don't is scared or what? :dunno:

They 'siam' coz they are afraid that that might kena 'hood'. Haha ;p
For me, the hood is good coz it takes the 1st knock rather than the lens hitting something hard. Of course I'm talking about the metal ones & not the rubber ones.

Actually without hood the slr and the lens still looks "invasive"

i dun hood i dun use filters

ryan

I ALWAYS use hoods. Don't think I look anything like Darth Vader cos of them though. :s

when i do street i don't hood. only when there is chance of flare, i.e. side lighting, in landscapes, then i hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.