Lens hood on when keeping into the bag?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevyan

Jan 5, 2005
PR
Hi all,

Just wondering whether you keep your lens hood on when keeping it into your bag.

I am using the Lowepro Stealth Report 100AW, and if I keep the lens hood on (lens attached to body), I do not have space for other things. I have to reverse the lens hood to keep it.

I am afraid of the wear and tear if I keep fixing on and reversing it when keeping it.

So, how do you guys manage it? Any advice? :dunno:

Me too, reverse mounted when keeping in bag.
Damn "lay chay", but no other better solution.

I also worry about wear and tear, so I leave it at home sleeping in the cupboard. :p

Nah, just joking. If my bag can fit, I'll leave the hood on and not worry about it at all.

never occured to me that it was too 'lay chay'
ive always been keeping my lenses with the hoods reverse mounted in my cam bag (lowepro slingshot 200AW)
in fact, it was only until recently that i stopped keeping them reverse mounted in my dry cabi

its always reverse mounted for me. i think the wear and tear is minimal la..

Aiyoh, just hood only you all say lay chey, My Computrecker plus just nice for my lens without hood and cam. even TC need to be disconnected. When I'm out in the field, the camera and lens will not goes back into the bag till i call it a day.

Ahh..yes.. the lens hood...
I've got lens hoods that never sees the light of day...
Every lens I buy, comes with one.. & they get chucked deep inside my dry cabinet..
unless of course, some lenses like the fisheye or wide angle that comes with integratred lens hoods.. can't remove that..

I don't find much use for the lens hood, even though they look somewhat cool when fitted on the lens... but the main problem with them is they take up space & make handling rather cumbersome.. hence I never use them.. besides, I hardly ever find myself in situations wherein light or sun-flare is a problem..

Then again, to use it, or not to use it, is very much a personal choice...

For me, when the lens hood is on, it prevents accident touching of the lens when i'm out shooting. I have slinged my camera on the side before without lens hood and once i wasn't looking at reached for my camera...I touch something smooth and knew something was wrong... After that, i told myself "Next time put lens hood...for good..."

Huggable uses the lens hood more for protection of the front element and accidentally fingerprints. The lens hood is reverse mounted onto the lens when kept in the bag, it's just too big to be stored separately!

Someone had the idea of using velcro straps to hold the "journalistic" lightsphere. Maybe you can use the same idea for big lens hoods?

Lens hood is more for preventing stray light. It also double as protection for the lens especially for jungle bashing like what we do.

I also worry about wear and tear, so I leave it at home sleeping in the cupboard. :p

Nah, just joking. If my bag can fit, I'll leave the hood on and not worry about it at all.

What wear and tear are you talking about? If that is your concern, leave the lens at home and take the hood out - much cheaper to replace.

I use lens hoods as often as possible (except on my 16-35 where the lens hood design is such that it would be virtually useless to stop stray light or flare). Main purpose is to stop stray light and flare which reduce contrast. Secondary I often rest my cam lens down, when using longer tele-photos or zooms, so the hood makes a convenient and relatively stable base.

What wear and tear are you talking about? If that is your concern, leave the lens at home and take the hood out - much cheaper to replace.

Errr .... I did say that I was jokin lah ... if you ever see my lens hoods ... you'll think that they've been through war :bsmilie:

Errr .... I did say that I was jokin lah ... if you ever see my lens hoods ... you'll think that they've been through war :bsmilie:

i was so incensed by the first line, I didn't even get to the second - my bad, sorry.

i just reverse and lock it in place. thoght that was normal???:bigeyes:

:think: why dun someone invent retractable lens hood that do not block use of filters, cokin holders and lens cap??? :dunno:

:think: why dun someone invent retractable lens hood that do not block use of filters, cokin holders and lens cap??? :dunno:

there is some 3rd party ones that is retractable. i cant remember the brand but the guys at john 3:16 recommended them to me.

reverse mount the lens hood on the lens when not in use. Forward mount the hood whenever i use the lens. =)

I noticed stains always formed on the hood.. sometimes there are light scratches as well.

I never used lens hoods previously. But now that I use them, can be helpful. Helps prevent stray light and definitely keeps my lens fingerprint free and protects it. Lens hood on even in bag. Lazy to reverse it. My bag is big enough. :)

Hardly take it off, unless using on-board flash, where the hood will cause shadows.

ill leave it either ON or Reverse depending on my last use. cose when i am using flash i put it to reverse so it does not create a shadow in my picture

Status
Not open for further replies.