Lens Hood installation question

chowychow

Jan 18, 2012
Hi I am having problems installing my lens hood i got from ebay onto my 18-55mm canon lens.
I checked the diameter of the lens hood and it is correct (58mm).
Anyone knows how to install it? I googled it up and people said you have to squeeze but it doesn't seem to be working:embrass: :dunno:

hmm... :think:

it should be screwed on, same as putting on a filter

Tried to screw it on clock wise and it still doesn't seem to work

Can you show a photo of that lens hood? Very difficult to understand, as there are quite a few of different types of lens hood available.

Can you show a photo of that lens hood? Very difficult to understand, as there are quite a few of different types of lens hood available.

In the photo, also please show the inner side of the lens hood clearly.. it'll help to see how it's supposed to be attached..

Hi I am having problems installing my lens hood i got from ebay onto my 18-55mm canon lens.
Anyone knows how to install it? I googled it up and people said you have to squeeze but it doesn't seem to be working:embrass: :dunno:

May turn up to be a "costly" mistake. Such cheap items best to buy from a local shop where you can test on the spot.

Hi i can't do posting on links yet so I will sent could i send a inbox msg to a member( shierwin) and could they help me post the image ?

e572_12.JPG

Last edited:

Erm.. can you take a photo yourself? The word Lens Hood and the watermark is very distracting and blocking some details. You can also try asking the seller, they could help..

I have one that is exactly like the one shown in the photo. It is not really that easy to tighten, but you would have to screw in just one or two threads, then tighten the knob (the screwy thing) and it should hold.

However I would not recommend that for a 18-55mm lens because of the petal design and the lens front element rotate when focusing, so when it do that... at 18mm, you might get very very bad vignetting.

when screwing in the lens hood, remember to turn your lens to MF. Then turn it back to AF when you have screwed in. I will come up with some photo if you want later.

oops... tried again... this time it goes in easy, no need to even tighten the screwy thingy. It happens that you just need to do it one time. The screwy thing is for you to set the direction of the petals by setting the distance whereby the hood had to be screwed in.

chowychow said:

Did you turn the screw nut on the hood? The hood has a turning wheel or nut. You can loosen or tighten it

Okay, here is some simple instruction, hope it helps.

428752_10150585159978796_786073795_8843045_764644912_n.jpg

Woah thanks for that.
Sorry for the late reply. I had to rush an Economics essay out so was busy studying for it.
Thanks I will try it when I get home :)

Tks for the help guys the lens hood is finally in the lens :)