Lens Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastboltnut

Mar 23, 2006
Where the wind blows...
Hey guys,

I just check out some of my Bro's old lens and I sort of can see some dust when I peep into the lens (without the camera body). Should I bring it for servicing? How much roughly will it cost to service a lens har?

Thanks!!

sounds like fungus.

i assume its a canon lens? i had some old EF lenses i brought in to canon. theysaid it would cost $80 for service.

funnily enough though, wheni went to pick them up, they said that they couldnt remove all the fungus, so didnt charge me anything. but looking through the lenses, couldnt reallysee any fungus left!

Wow, canon so good ah? But my lens are Nikon, was for FM2.:)

jdredd said:
sounds like fungus.

i assume its a canon lens? i had some old EF lenses i brought in to canon. theysaid it would cost $80 for service.

funnily enough though, wheni went to pick them up, they said that they couldnt remove all the fungus, so didnt charge me anything. but looking through the lenses, couldnt reallysee any fungus left!

You need to call Nikon Service centre at 65596363 to check the price.

They charge varies for different lense, they can quote you over the phone.

That's great! Thanks.

Taurean said:
You need to call Nikon Service centre at 65596363 to check the price.

They charge varies for different lense, they can quote you over the phone.

but to note, i believe once u clean the lens of fungus, the coating will be off, and there might be a decrease in quality.

still that shouldnt stop u from cleaning them. but instead should hint u that proper storage of lens should be a priority of any photographer.

nikon will also clean lens till nice nice lah.. haa haa i think all service centres are capable of that.

Dust is looks like a dust in lens. It will be there because of usage of lens. Most of time, the dust will not affect the photo's quality (unless thats a really big one and a lots).

Fungus is looks like a spider web in the lens. Same as above for quality. The problem, if you are not maintain it well, the fungus will grown bigger and bigger.
Fungus will not grown easily if you keep the lens in DryCabinet.

The price to clean dust or fungus is usually determined by how difficult to remove the element(s) with dust or fungus on the lens. Say in the middle is more difficult than in the rear or front of the lens.

You can also try P&G at The Adelphi for lens cleaning.

Hope that help.

Regards,
Arto.

Thanx Artosoft n zcwnfx for you help. I will buy a roll of film to try it out 1st.:D

Artosoft said:
Dust is looks like a dust in lens. It will be there because of usage of lens. Most of time, the dust will not affect the photo's quality (unless thats a really big one and a lots).

Fungus is looks like a spider web in the lens. Same as above for quality. The problem, if you are not maintain it well, the fungus will grown bigger and bigger.
Fungus will not grown easily if you keep the lens in DryCabinet.

The price to clean dust or fungus is usually determined by how difficult to remove the element(s) with dust or fungus on the lens. Say in the middle is more difficult than in the rear or front of the lens.

You can also try P&G at The Adelphi for lens cleaning.

Hope that help.

Regards,
Arto.

happy trying! i'm most afraid of fungus. i dont think i have the money to clean them. also, dont want them to be cleaned....

if it is indeed dust, then you do not need to have it cleaned
lucky you to have a brother's camera to play with.

the FM2 is a good camera, have fun!

Ok, thanks for the advise.

Yah, glad to have FM2 for my use....but SLR abit X to play with....every snap is $...:)

ortega said:
if it is indeed dust, then you do not need to have it cleaned
lucky you to have a brother's camera to play with.

the FM2 is a good camera, have fun!

lastboltnut said:
Yah, if kept properly then good...
To prevent/delay fungus grown, use DryCab. It is a good investment to keep your photography gears well :thumbsup: .

Regards,
Arto.

hi there, since this is a thread about lenses, id like to ask some questions too. It seems taht there is a few dust specs on my lens.

here's a few shots to show you

dust.jpg

dust2.jpg

its a tamron 28-200 lens.. bought it 2nd hand with an s1pro body. when i bought it , it wasnt like that. after 2 days of usage then it shows things like that..

holy cow that's some noticeable dust specks!!!
did u use a blower to blow out dust from lens front and rear element?
that's a lot of dust to get inside a lens :bigeyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.